WotC's Annual Xmas Layoffs

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wonder how much folks at WotC worry as Christmas approaches? Presumably they're very well aware of the trend, although the fact that Rich posted the day before about the work he'd be doing in the New Year shows that it was a complete surprise to him.

Last edited:

Zaran

Adventurer
"Thanks for this week's Rule-of-Three. Oh... and could you clean out your desk we won't be needing you anymore. And let's go ahead and take this stapler. Yeah. Merry Christmas"

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
If D&D was selling like it did before the edition wars, before Paizo essentially re-sold WotC's v3.5 rules under a new name (which Paizo admits because they needed it in print to support their bread and butter, Adventure Paths), these layoffs would not happen. But when Hasbro shuts down D&D, if the upcoming edition (they will not admit to using Monte Cook in an attempt to go back to something more like 3ed edition but different enough to call it 5th) does not meet sales quotas, then D&D will become an IP used only for video games, novels, and board games. Hasbro will never sell the IP because to sell it would be selling Drizzit.

And if that happens, Future Generations will never know D&D, only it's clones and retro refits. And that would be sad for gaming.

I'm pretty sure they have been laying people off like clockwork since before the edition wars started. I think they've been doing it since shortly after 3.0 was released, so I don't think that the edition wars or Pathfinder, or the poor reception of Essentials can be blamed for it. They may be a factor, but it really seems like that's just the way WotC does business, which really makes you not want to support WotC anymore. I'm almost of the mindset that I would rather D&D die than continue to mismanaged by WotC. I have Pathfinder, I don't need to play an RPG just because it has the D&D logo on the cover of the books.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Being that I dont support WOTC any more it doesn't really effect me in the least except that I did like Rich Baker's work (prior to 4E of course. I didn't really follow his work in that edition) and feel pretty bad about him being let go. He's good at what he does though so here's hoping that he'll land on his feet all cat like.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Just a clarification to some of the above (and very much cold comfort).

Regular layoffs by the company that makes D&D go back to 83 or 84 (the golden age, ironically, when hundreds were working at TSR). The annual Xmass layoff started with Hasbro, in the 3E era.

Dannager

First Post
"Thanks for this week's Rule-of-Three. Oh... and could you clean out your desk we won't be needing you anymore. And let's go ahead and take this stapler. Yeah. Merry Christmas"

Not to put a damper on the poo flinging, but the severance packages offered by WotC/Hasbro to their laid-off employees are reportedly very nice.

"Take this stapler," might be low-balling it a little.

talok55

First Post
[
It might not have saved Rich's job, but it certainly would have skewed the odds in favor of not having to fire Rodney Thompson and James Wyatt (or whatever) next year.

Wasn't Wyatt laid off earlier this year, or am I misremembering that?

Agamon

Adventurer

Heh. Those who didn't get fired get to hear, "I'm gonna have to ask you to come in on Christmas... so if you could just get here around 9:00, that would be great...."

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Not to put a damper on the poo flinging, but the severance packages offered by WotC/Hasbro to their laid-off employees are reportedly very nice.

"Take this stapler," might be low-balling it a little.

I believe that is an "Office Space" reference, and the stapler is being taken FROM the person being fired, not being given TO them as severance.

Remove ads