WotC WotC - why are we still shocked with layoffs?

MGibster

Legend
The people that were interviewed were dissapointed, but still positive about the company and would happily work there again. That tells me that at least the D&D division treated them well, even when they were laid off. What do you expect from companies?
One of the worst things a candidate can do during an interview is rip apart their former employer. Most professionals don't want to burn any bridges, so most of them are going to put on a smile at least in public.
Big difference between not discussing and praising a former employer. I think it's a bit insulting to them to imply that they were outright lying.
Given how connected RPG creators are to their fans, I feel as though there's a lot of pressure for them to say something as we (a general we) have unfortunately gotten into the habit of expecting responses within hours. I don't think they're lying, but I think if we looked passed the smiles we'll see some salty people. Getting laid off hurts.

Oofta

Legend
One of the worst things a candidate can do during an interview is rip apart their former employer. Most professionals don't want to burn any bridges, so most of them are going to put on a smile at least in public.

Given how connected RPG creators are to their fans, I feel as though there's a lot of pressure for them to say something as we (a general we) have unfortunately gotten into the habit of expecting responses within hours. I don't think they're lying, but I think if we looked passed the smiles we'll see some salty people. Getting laid off hurts.
I'm not saying they're happy about being laid off. But a company can handle it well or poorly, I've been in both situations. One company called me back a week after layoffs and asked if I wanted my job back. While I didn't say the "hell" part out loud, the answer was "no". I may have laughed a little, which probably wasn't polite.

The fact that they would happily go back is a sign that the layoff was handled as well as these things can be.

Remathilis

Legend
Thank you for this list.

I decided to set an example and never buy a Rolls Royce. Take that you evil corporation.
Cute. The point is that lots of companies laid off people this year, it's a symptom of the sickness that is unfettered capitalism. WotC is no different, and if you think that layoffs are worthy of a boycott, there is a whole list of places and things that did the same thing.

Hussar

Legend
The Ethisphere award. It was Hasbro, not WoTC that purchased it.

However, given that WoTC is their most profitable subsidiary, and considering WoTC's bad press over the past year or so, I'd say it was likely a move to benefit WoTC (essentially good will by association)
Ahh. So, again, meaningless angst from fandom. Okay.

Look, getting laid off sucks. The fact that WotC hadn't actually laid off workers every year just before Christmas in about a decade is a good thing. It sucks. But... laying off workers makes a company bad because...? Bad economic times, you lay off works. You then hire workers later when things are better. How is this not how companies have worked since like, forever?

Why am I getting worked up over this?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If you don't want people misinterpreting what you say, perhaps you should be clear. "Maybe they aren't" leaves the barn door wide open to "they lied". That may not be what you meant, but that's how it reads.
To be fair, "Maybe they are" leaves the door just as wide open to "they told the truth", unless your own interpretation gets in the way.

Oofta

Legend
To be fair, "Maybe they are" leaves the door just as wide open to "they told the truth", unless your own interpretation gets in the way.
But there is no reason for "maybe". There's definitely no reason for the "maybe not" if you believe they were telling the truth.

It may not have been intentional but it's a common way of saying (or at least implying) they lied while giving yourself plausible deniability.

EDIT: I think this horse is dead at this point.

Cute. The point is that lots of companies laid off people this year, it's a symptom of the sickness that is unfettered capitalism. WotC is no different, and if you think that layoffs are worthy of a boycott, there is a whole list of places and things that did the same thing.
1. It was a joke. I already have all the Rolls Royces I can afford.

2. Even if this shows one of the worse sides of capitalisms, I don't think laying off people is evil per se. Really depends om the situation.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
Folks, that lying question isn't adding anything useful to the conversation. Both sides have made your points clear. Please do not continue butting heads over it, please and thanks.

Ahh. So, again, meaningless angst from fandom. Okay.

Look, getting laid off sucks. The fact that WotC hadn't actually laid off workers every year just before Christmas in about a decade is a good thing. It sucks. But... laying off workers makes a company bad because...? Bad economic times, you lay off works. You then hire workers later when things are better. How is this not how companies have worked since like, forever?

Why am I getting worked up over this?
I think that's the question, why are you-- and, maybe more to addressing the OP, are there really large swaths of people getting worked up over it? Outside of the usual suspects (such as YouTubers trying to drum up interest), I haven't seen a lot of people really worked up about it. Plenty have opinions they are willing to share in places where if there's nothing exciting to talk about, you still keep talking; but not a major explosion of fan-rage or anything.

Dausuul

Legend
The explicit, legally-required responsibility of any publicly-traded company, overall, is to increase profit and stock price.

Modern corporate law does not require for-profit corporations to pursue profit at the expense of everything else, and many do not do so. For-profit corporations, with ownership approval, support a wide variety of charitable causes, and it is not at all uncommon for such corporations to further humanitarian and other altruistic objectives.

Remove ads