[Adventure]: Murder at Midnight (DM: renau1g, Judge Ozy)

renau1g

First Post
"Is he a wizard of some sort or simply a scholar? If we have to meet him, that knowledge would greatly help our safety if you are right." asks Eloan.

"I do not believe him to have any specific arcane ability, he was an excellent researcher and when I needed some knowledge investigated or a hypothesis reviewed, he was an excellent resource" The eladrin states

Kaeysari stands quietly. Still mildly brooding on being mistaken for a mercenary who can't follow orders, she nearly misses the slight hesitation in Veruzak's voice.

"Sir," she says, seizing a lull in the conversation to finally speak, "Is there anything we should know about the victims, or any indication that someone in particular is in danger?"[sblock=Insight Check]Insight: 19(1d20) +8 = 27[/sblock]

"I could not locate any connection amongst the victims, they appear to come from all walks of life. Some were of noble blood, a few former city guards, and a couple of commoners. As to other indications, I'm afraid that I'm quite limited in gathering much information since our wonderful city officials have prevented me from leaving." Veruzak states.

Gil listens patiently, taking notes while trying to move closer to Veruzak, as others asked their questions. After Kaeysari asks hers, the human leans in and asks one of his own quietly. Could I speak with you after everyone has left?

Robes rustle as Gil steps away and allows the eladrin to answer Kaeysari.

OOC: Insight 25 Roll lookup

The eladrin simply nods to Gil

JoeNotCharles

First Post
"Oh, good! I've always wanted to visit the Isle of Opposition. I managed to get here from the Valley of Bone using a teleport ritual without passing through it.

Er, I suppose I shouldn't be too happy, given the circumstances."

7 Rabbit turns to Veruzak. "Your friend, the suspect - do you happen to know his star sign? His full astrological charts would be best, if you can get them. Given the importance of the heavens on lycanthropic transformations," - he says these words with relish, as if he's showing off his expanded Allarian vocabulary - "they might be especially relevant.

Although I'll have to fetch some books before we go, to look up how the moon's influence affects that of the stars in cases such as this. I'm used to treating the moon as a minor variable."
He looks back and forth among the others expectantly. "Variable? Moon? No? Ah, nevermind."

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
My thoughts on 7 Rabbit's comments

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWmzMNck_z8]Napoleon Dynamite - YouTube[/ame] [/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
Even Gil gives 7 Rabbit a quizzical look, as the dwarf talks about the relative weight of the moon's influence on an individual. You're saying the moon changes how we act as well? Even when we aren't suffering from lycanthropy? the young human's face pales slightly at the thought.

OOC: [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] if a certain shifter was around, he may have taken offense to some of this ;)

Last edited:

Mewness

First Post
"Oh, good! I've always wanted to visit the Isle of Opposition. I managed to get here from the Valley of Bone using a teleport ritual without passing through it.

Er, I suppose I shouldn't be too happy, given the circumstances."
"Oh, so you are Magari," says Papolstaanas happily. "Kaeysari and I almost visited the Valley of Bone once, but it turned out there wasn't time. I would still like to see it, some day. Wouldn't you, Kaeysari?"

7 Rabbit turns to Veruzak. "Your friend, the suspect - do you happen to know his star sign? His full astrological charts would be best, if you can get them. Given the importance of the heavens on lycanthropic transformations," - he says these words with relish, as if he's showing off his expanded Allarian vocabulary - "they might be especially relevant.

Although I'll have to fetch some books before we go, to look up how the moon's influence affects that of the stars in cases such as this. I'm used to treating the moon as a minor variable."
He looks back and forth among the others expectantly. "Variable? Moon? No? Ah, nevermind."
"I don't understand," says Papolstaanas. "The moon's influence ... on the stars? What do the stars have to do with--I mean, it seems as though there must be a whole lot of them, thousands and thousands, maybe thousands of thousands--I tried camping outside and counting them a couple of times but I would always fall asleep before--and you know, it's really hard to keep track of which ones you've already counted. However do you keep track of what they all mean?"

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Even Gil gives 7 Rabbit a quizzical look, as the dwarf talks about the relative weight of the moon's influence on an individual. You're saying the moon changes how we act as well? Even when we aren't suffering from lycanthropy? the young human's face pales slightly at the thought.

"Of course! Everything in the heavens has some effect. The difference between the moon and the stars is that the moon comes and goes, so it doesn't have time to alter our course too much. Not like your birth stars, which pull on you in the same way from the moment you're born until the moment you die. THOSE have a powerful effect.

The moon causes the tides, did you know that? Every day, in and out, twice. If the moon can affect the entire ocean at once, of course it can affect us. But people are a lot less fluid than water, so the moon normally just changes moods, not destiny."

"I tried camping outside and counting them a couple of times but I would always fall asleep before--and you know, it's really hard to keep track of which ones you've already counted. However do you keep track of what they all mean?"

7 Rabbit snorts with laughter. "It's a lot of work. I have a stack of scrolls as high as you are. And there's still no way to follow all the stars. There are so many we can only keep track of the most important of them. Some astronomers think that's a good thing - if we could track every star with perfect precision, nothing would ever surprise us and there would be no free will.

Anyway, yes, I'm Magari, and I'd like to go back to the Valley of Bone someday, but I have a mission to complete first."

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
I'll start the private conversation that Cabana asked for so the rest of the group isn't stuck sitting around while it happens. Feel free to continue with any additional questions and if you have any preparations let me know [/sblock]

[sblock=Gil]
As the others leave, the eladrin takes a deep breath. "I am glad we have a moment young man, I have something for your ears only. I have come to find out that you are interested in meeting with me. There is more to tell that I don't want the others to know. I wish to have you join us, our group, but this task is needed before entry. We are a group of arcanists working together. Vilk is a trusted friend, that much is true, but he is also a member. He had little arcane skill, but he contributed mightily to the group, identifying sites for research, digging up ancient tomes and artifacts, and reviewing any theses we have completed. Now, I'm unsure exactly what happened to him, but he was no lycan although I know he was trying fruitlessly to regain the strength of body of his youth, perhaps an experiment that went awry, maybe if he'd tried... no never mind that's not important. So why I have to get involved, our group already has issues on the Isle of Opposition after a series of ... experiments went awry there and caused quite the destruction. I am worried if Vilk's membership is found out, the Institute will be barred from the Isle. Of great concern is a loss of access to those two portals there. So while I wish Vilk stopped rather than killed both as a friend and important member with too much knowledge to lose, it is more important for the society to keep this access open so if there is no other way, he must be stopped. If he is killed, please remove the body before any prying eyes see it, again we cannot be linked to this.

Also, the city watch must not be involved, Eloan is involved with the local guard, but ensure that no official guards are brought into it, or else we could still suffer the consequences.
Veruzak states, his exasperation evident.[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
"H-how do you know which stars are the most important?" asks Papolstaanas, now more interested in the stars than in the matter at hand. "Are they the biggest ones?"

CaBaNa

First Post
[sblock=Private Conversation]

Gil stills his pencil immediately upon being told his ears were as far as this message went. A slight smile plays along his face, as he keeps his current membership status to himself.

Right! No guards, that should be easy... the human doesn't sound confident in the ease of the task, We'll go to his place of residence first, during the day, could be as simple as that. Speaking of which, how would you like us to handle the situation if "it" isn't Vilk?

[/sblock]

7 Rabbit, it sounds like it wouldn't matter if we are surprised, free will is extremely limited by our stars; if it exists at all... Gil's pencil slows down considerably, Hadn't considered that before, do I really have free will? the scholar returns to his notes with a new zeal, writing his initial thoughts on the new information.

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
"The Lady of the Moon most definitely has an effect on this world," Tristan chimes in to defend his goddess. The prospect of a new and challenging hunt has gotten the elf excited, and his face is animated as he describes what he means. "Most creatures in the cities and towns do not notice her effects; live in the forests and glades and other wild places, and Dayna's touch is everywhere. The dance of predator and prey, the power of the woods, the bestiality hiding in even the most 'cultured'," he almost spits the word.

"All you need do is open your eyes, there are forces beyond the ken of man (or dwarf or kobold) at work everywhere. The backdrop of the city blinds many, however, glorifying the works of mortal hands instead of revering the works of the divine."
[sblock=OOC]Re: Preparations. Tristan is going to pick up some alchemical silver, which probably any of us who use weapons should do as well. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to get some extra rope and some shackles (even silver and/or cold iron (in case it's fey and not a lycanthrope) shackles?), but I don't think those are things Tristan would suggest - he's never really gone hunting to just capture prey, so he hasn't had to worry about binding it afterwards.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads