O.G.R.E: Online Generic Randomizer Engine

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
O.G.R.E.

lol! Totally understand that. :)

BTW, and I ask purely out of vanity, is there a way to tell what other tables or generators by other folks are using my tables or generators? It'd be a nice warm fuzzy to see where else my efforts are being put to good use. :)

--Chris M.

Again, totally something I want myself! Eventually, I hope

Octangula

First Post
So, I've run into an interesting problem. I'm looking for a way to specify both the singular and plural form of something, without having to fork the table and worrying about them being out of sync. For most words, this will be simple, but some words just don't pluralize easily by adding one (or more) letters on the end. Any suggestions?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
O.G.R.E.

So, I've run into an interesting problem. I'm looking for a way to specify both the singular and plural form of something, without having to fork the table and worrying about them being out of sync. For most words, this will be simple, but some words just don't pluralize easily by adding one (or more) letters on the end. Any suggestions?

It's a tricky little puzzle that I haven't figured out yet. So far, I can only cone up with a convoluted method of having two tables (one with plurals, one with singular) and using an IF statement to reference the correct one. Which is terribly clumsy.

Octangula

First Post
It's a tricky little puzzle that I haven't figured out yet. So far, I can only cone up with a convoluted method of having two tables (one with plurals, one with singular) and using an IF statement to reference the correct one. Which is terribly clumsy.
Yes it is. What I'm thinking might work is a tag that lets you specify 2 forms, and another that grabs a plural if available.

Something like having {plural|staff|staves} in a table, and then {pl{Octangula{Example}}} returning "staves" if that line is rolled. If {pl} doesn't find a {plural} tag on its result, then it either returns what it finds or appends an "s" to that. I'll leave the exact syntax up to you, in case you want to have any particular consistent style.

Octangula

First Post
Switch may offer some options, been looking at it for changing HE to SHE, HIM to HER but have not have the chance to play with it.
Nor have I. I'd like to make the arguement that gendered forms and plural forms should be builtins, though, as they are going to be commonly encountered, and having a consistent method would help.

Edit: Also, where do I go with bug reports for the website?

Remove ads