Core only + Forgotten Realms Druid Optimization

Wyvernhand

First Post
For what it's worth, your DM is wrong according to the FAQ.

FAQ said:
A feat sometimes requires you to have a certain ability score, which is the case with Two-Weapon Fighting (it requires Dex 15). A character has, say, Dex 13, but wears an item, in this case gloves of Dexterity +2, and now her Dex score is 15. Can she take the feat and have it be active only when she wears the item?
Actually yes, she could take the feat, but she would lose the use of the feat if, for whatever reason, she loses the bonus from the item.

Then again, the FAQ is barely worth the electrons it's printed on, but this is one case where I agree with the Sage's ruling.

You can fulfill prereqs with temporary modifiers. The feature, however, is only useable or active while those temporary modifiers are in place. A 5th level Bear Warrior could qualify for Knockback, for example, since when he uses his Brown Bear Rage, he becomes large sized. Your druid would qualify for Multiattack as soon as he gained Wildshape and knew a form with 3+ natural attacks.

alcoholander

First Post
For what it's worth, your DM is wrong according to the FAQ.

I see the logic in that but in previous campaigns our DM didn't allowed a character to take Multiattack and he isn't going to allow it now. I know it may be unfair but the whole thing of playing core only + forgotten realms books was not to make too broken characters. I warned the DM that there are broken stuff in the FR books but he ignored me.

Most probably the other characters aren't going to be that optimized. Besides,
Greenbound Summoning combined with Augment Summoning is a terrifying combination (Is there a catch because it seems totally broken?). My animal companion + the second animal that I'll be commanding (Initiate of Nature) + wild shape + spells will make me powerful enough :)

So I think that I finally made up my mind. My character is going to be a human, probably female.

Abilities: str 8, dex 8, con 16, int 10, wis 17, cha 11
Feats:
1 lev: SF Conjuration, Augment Summoning
3 lev: Greenbound Summoning
6 lev: Natural Spell
9 lev: Initiate of Nature
12 lev: Quicken Spell
15 lev: …

We are starting at level 10 with 49 000 gp.
Besides dragonhide breastplate with the wild enhancement and a rod of lesser extend spell what else would prove useful in our campaign?

alcoholander

First Post
Thanks for the tips. I've created most of my character (abilities, feats, skills, items, spell selection).

He'll look like this:

Name: Goran, 10th level human druid from Rasheman

Abilities: str 9, dex 8, con 16, int 10, wis 19 (17 +1 at lev 4 and 8), cha 10

Feats: 1 lev: SF Conjuration, Augment Summoning
3 lev: Improved Initiative
6 lev: Natural Spell
9 lev: Initiate of Nature
12 lev: Rashemi Elemental Summoning
15 lev: Quicken Spell

Animal companion: male Smilodon, summoned in Ashenwood, Rasheman
Commanded animal: female Smilodon

Items: Dragonhide Breastplate with the wilding enhancement
Periapt of Wisdom +2
Wilding Clasps
Strand of Prayer Beads (bead of blessing and bead of karma)
Lesser Rod of Extend Spell

I have a question regarding the bead of karma. How is it activated? Does it require an action or it is activated automatically when I cast a divine spell and I choose to do so?

Thanks again

Wyvernhand

First Post
Activation of a use activated item is typically a Standard Action unless stated otherwise:
SRD said:
Unless stated otherwise, activating a use-activated magic item is either a standard action or not an action at all and does not provoke attacks of opportunity, unless the use involves performing an action that provokes an attack of opportunity in itself. If the use of the item takes time before a magical effect occurs, then use activation is a standard action. If the item’s activation is subsumed in its use and takes no extra time use activation is not an action at all.

Since you have to activate the item (rather than it being always active), it defaults to a standard action.

Remove ads