WotBS 3 Questions 2 WotBS and 1 Enpublishing question

Fallenibilis

First Post
Okay as you can see from the title i have a few questions, the first and second were things i know have been answered before but because of the unfortunate hacker attack on Enworld I can no longer find the threads. The third concerns the technologist base class created by Enworld.

1. Whats the timeline of the world before the campaign, namely the stuff concerning Leska, Emperor Coaltongue, the fire forest, and Shaladal?

2.What is the Dream Shroud item featured in the first adventure?

3.What tier is Tehnologist and what would you replace if you made an alternate class feature where you give them a mechanical companion similar the the druid animal companion?

P.S. Bonus question- Is it still cool to put up an Adventuring Log on here I just finished my first session on two days ago and i think it would be fun to do so.

Thanks Fallenibilis

I'm glad to hear from you! Hopefully I can shed some light on these topics, though it's 1am here and some of the answers would get a bit involved.

1. Mind you I'm doing this from memory 5 years after we wrote the adventure, but I think it's something like:

100 years ago, Coaltongue rises to power, conquers some places, and eventually establishes an empire. He's a half-orc, Shaaladel's an elf, but they were allied in their rise to power. Shaaladel keeps his own country, but hopes that when Coaltongue dies he might name Shaaladel his successor.

60 years ago, Leska finds the Aquiline Heart and makes the aged Coaltongue immortal (and herself, and a fey named Etinifi who shows up WAY later in the adventure path). Shaaladel gets irked, realizing that all his calculations are out the window now. I figure around this time Shahalesti and Ragesia start wrestling back and forth for control over Gate Pass, as a proxy battle since neither side wants an open war.

40 years ago, Coaltongue agrees to lay off Gate Pass and keep it neutral. Around the same time, Shaaladel gets angry that the elves of Innenotdar aren't allying with him, so secretly he sets the forest on fire. By odd happenstance, the place never stops burning, because of a dream creature named Indomitability who was tied to the forest.

2. It's just a magic item we tossed into the 3rd edition version so that PCs in the second adventure would have a better chance of fighting the bearded devil Kazyk. Also I felt it might prompt players to ponder that hey, this item's creature was pretty tragic. I figured that would help players who are used to more light-hearted D&D realize that the campaign had a weightier tone.

3. I don't know what you mean by tier. Are you talking about the Technologist class from The Fantastic Science? Or the newer character theme also called Technologist from ZEITGEIST?

Bonus question, by all means, please! But I recommend you train yourself to keep things brief. A lot of GMs fall behind on their campaign logs because they try to squeeze every detail in, and writing that all takes too long.

Fallenibilis

First Post
I'm glad to hear from you! Hopefully I can shed some light on these topics, though it's 1am here and some of the answers would get a bit involved.

1. Mind you I'm doing this from memory 5 years after we wrote the adventure, but I think it's something like:

100 years ago, Coaltongue rises to power, conquers some places, and eventually establishes an empire. He's a half-orc, Shaaladel's an elf, but they were allied in their rise to power. Shaaladel keeps his own country, but hopes that when Coaltongue dies he might name Shaaladel his successor.

60 years ago, Leska finds the Aquiline Heart and makes the aged Coaltongue immortal (and herself, and a fey named Etinifi who shows up WAY later in the adventure path). Shaaladel gets irked, realizing that all his calculations are out the window now. I figure around this time Shahalesti and Ragesia start wrestling back and forth for control over Gate Pass, as a proxy battle since neither side wants an open war.

40 years ago, Coaltongue agrees to lay off Gate Pass and keep it neutral. Around the same time, Shaaladel gets angry that the elves of Innenotdar aren't allying with him, so secretly he sets the forest on fire. By odd happenstance, the place never stops burning, because of a dream creature named Indomitability who was tied to the forest.
Thanks this is a very handy i have a player who's from originally from Inneotdar and another player who's been jurneying around the continent for about 60 years he's originally from an land across the sea so this helps put certain things in prospective.

2. It's just a magic item we tossed into the 3rd edition version so that PCs in the second adventure would have a better chance of fighting the bearded devil Kazyk. Also I felt it might prompt players to ponder that hey, this item's creature was pretty tragic. I figured that would help players who are used to more light-hearted D&D realize that the campaign had a weightier tone.
Okay well i'll find something to use there.

3. I don't know what you mean by tier. Are you talking about the Technologist class from The Fantastic Science? Or the newer character theme also called Technologist from ZEITGEIST?
I am speaking of the class from Fantastic Science a bought it about a month ago and i have a player interested in playing it. As to what i mean by tier is the ranking system for classes that most of the forums seem to use. I'm figuring that it's a tier 2 like Sorcerer, but i'm not sure.This is important because were playing a gestalt game and we play with a rule that you can't be tier1//tier1, tier1//tier2, or tier2//tier2.

Bonus question, by all means, please! But I recommend you train yourself to keep things brief. A lot of GMs fall behind on their campaign logs because they try to squeeze every detail in, and writing that all takes too long.
Ok thank you, i hope you guys will enjoy my reading about my sessions as much as me and my group have playing the campaign.

Thanks again :D, Fallenibilis

Well, I admit we just published the author's work, did some touching up, and provided some eyeballing of balance. I imagine the technologist lies somewhere around the sorcerer. His gadgets have power level about on par with spells, but he doesn't have as huge a versatility as a wizard.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Sorry if this is necromancy, but sounded like [MENTION=87358]Fallenibilis[/MENTION] was using the compiled version of WotBS. That version has no mechanics for the Shroud of Dreams. They don't seem to have made the transfer from Scouring of Gate Pass. Anyway, if it's not too late for Fallenbilis, the Shroud of Dreams is mechanically the same as a phylactery of faithfulness.

Last edited:

JoPay

Explorer
Ryan!!!

I also need your help. In 2011, Ragnar posted a complete review of WotBS 3.5 (Questions & Commentary upon reading the WotBS 3.5 hardback), where he noted a few things (inconsistencies, unanswered questions and so on...).

There was an item, the Earring of the whispering winds, appearing in adventure #5, that was not detailed in the Appendix A. What is this earring supposed to do? What are the stats?

A few interrogations lifted by Ragan were quite interresting, but never got any answer...

I actually don't see it in my text from that adventure, but I recall what I had in mind. Basically it would vibrate slightly in the wearer's ear if someone was being evasive (maybe that would function like a limited-use discern lies, or maybe it would grant a +5 bonus to Sense Motive checks). But it would also let Pilus (or a designated agent) hear anything going on around the party.

JoPay

Explorer
Oooooh the wicked wicked RangerWickett!

Great idea! I'll surf on that and improvise a bit...

I started the whole Saga a year and a half ago... we are 3 guys (1 of my friend, my bro and me, all the party members have been playing together since college, 25 years ago) DMing different APs (Savage Tide, RotRL AND WotBS) in parallel... one DM does 1 chapter then the other takes over. But nobody had heard anything regarding WotBS up until I bought it.

My players are simply slavering when it's my turn... and me also! This is why I'm asking all these questions about maps, backgrounds, gazeteers and other developments that other guys would have thought of... I'm trying to flesh out the whole Burning Sky Universe... (1 guy is a descendant of the Mazak Clan, the father of my bro's character was a Carnelian Guard and so on...)

UP until then, thanks to you Ryan and all the crew (Morrus and ... there are too many damnit!) that brought up WotBS.

PS:I even talked with my bro and my buddies regarding building up an AP and submitting it... but we're not there yet. Maybe someday you'll get an email from me... ;)

JoPay

Explorer
Hi guys!

Back again, 1 year later. My team has forced me to improvise a bit, but we came through. We just finished "MttMoTW" and the guys are still wanting more.

Enough ramblin' and back to the main purpose of the thread... questions!!!

I stumbled upon another thing that Ragan noted when he posted his revision. What are the stats and power of the Ragesian Grand Standards (possession of General Titus, General Euserius de Fiaba & General Cavala)?

... of course, that's IF they have magical powers...

Remove ads