D&D (2024) 1/2 in, half out

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I had originally assumed that the rules glossary sections of the UA packets would be a place that wotc could drop some of the gm supporting changes (directly or via reference to unincluded elements but they very quickly turned out to be very much not the case. Barring DM UAs I'm more likely to wait for trustworthy reviews with enough rules text before deciding anything about 5.01 or wotc's vtt.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I really feel like for most tables it will be majority rule. Which, in other terms means all or nothing.
My group is all saying “not thanks” to 5.5.

But when it’s my turn to DM, none would bat an eye if I ran a new module. And if I used skills with improved examples or even slightly revised application in some way I will probably be closer to 5e core than they are when they run a game (whether they know it or not! :D)

I am personably not interested in new/revised classes or subclasses however. Don’t think thy are either.

If I run for my kids…they just want to adventure and don’t care.

If I was to take something from PHB especially if it seemed more powerful, the other DMs might? take issue…

On the contrary, I expect most tables will mix and match, which was my normatice experience with 3.x anyways: that us why interoperability is so important to WotC design here. Most tables who don't go over fully will no doubt start using bits and pieces of the new stuff over time, particularly if they put out a new SRD with the new material.

Players are going to demand the DM use the 2024 Monster Manual and DMG? Why would they care?

My group is all saying “not thanks” to 5.5.

But when it’s my turn to DM, none would bat an eye if I ran a new module. And if I used skills with improved examples or even slightly revised application in some way I will probably be closer to 5e core than they are when they run a game (whether they know it or not! :D)

I am personably not interested in new/revised classes or subclasses however. Don’t think thy are either.

If I run for my kids…they just want to adventure and don’t care.

If I was to take something from PHB especially if it seemed more powerful, the other DMs might? take issue…
To all these, I will try to explain.

A large majority of players (especially newer or younger ones) just look up stuff online. They will read on Reddit about a cool combo or build, and then just "use" it. A majority of the stuff posted in the very near future will all be new stuff. Once one player shows another, then that is what will be used.

Tasha's is the perfect example to this. I have not heard nor read about a table using the old "racial ASIs" since it came out. Noppe, everyone just puts +1 and +2 in an ability of their choice. Their character is stronger this way, and that's what players want. Do you think 5.5 will nerf anything? No, they won't. It will make everything a bit stronger or the same. So anything new or stronger will get used. It will be picked up by one, then a hundred, then a thousand, and it will not matter if a few players or a DM want to stick to the old books. They will be irrelevant.

Warpiglet-7

To all these, I will try to explain.

A large majority of players (especially newer or younger ones) just look up stuff online. They will read on Reddit about a cool combo or build, and then just "use" it. A majority of the stuff posted in the very near future will all be new stuff. Once one player shows another, then that is what will be used.

Tasha's is the perfect example to this. I have not heard nor read about a table using the old "racial ASIs" since it came out. Noppe, everyone just puts +1 and +2 in an ability of their choice. Their character is stronger this way, and that's what players want. Do you think 5.5 will nerf anything? No, they won't. It will make everything a bit stronger or the same. So anything new or stronger will get used. It will be picked up by one, then a hundred, then a thousand, and it will not matter if a few players or a DM want to stick to the old books. They will be irrelevant.
Let me and my pals be the first to buck that trend!

We use old ASIs with Tasha’s. But we are becoming fossils…

Warpiglet-7

That is my point about tables being all in or out. You might adopt something, but in reality, if you are only grabbing one thing out of 5.5, you are, in effect, all out.
I think the point of the thread is to see. So far most answering are not all in or out though most will be full or non adopters I am sure in the player pool.

Most but not all…

I did not get 3.5 (except for the phb very late). I will get 5e 2024 for sure. At least in D&Dbeyond. Probably books in german. My go to strategy for the last few years. Sometimes both. Sometimes one or the other.

Remove ads