D&D (2024) 1/2 in, half out

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I have been thinking about the upcoming game maybe a little more realistically.

When 3.5 came out we simply did not see the need. I was not even tempted. At first with 5e I felt the same. Worse, I did not like many proposed changes to classes we are anticipating.

Then I gave it some more thought.

I really think I will get the DMG. That said, in recent weeks a closer inspection of the 5e DMG leaves me realizing I was looking though a fair amount of its value. Its organization and layout did not grab me as I would hope. I actively dislike mordenkainen’s guide…but have come to embrace Tasha’s…

My plan until I see more is to get the DMG and any adventure anthologies.

So my question: if you are going to pick and choose what to incorporate from 5.5, what will it be and why?

aco175

Legend
I find that I mostly use the DMG for just magic items and do not look that much at the rest that is offered. I'm sure that there is some that I would find useful, but for some reason I do not look for it. Hubris I guess.

aco175

Legend
I'm thinking that my group will buy the new PHB and play with the updates. I can see where we would not have to and could play with some PCs in the 2014 way and some in the 2024 way. I do not want to get into cherry picking from one or the other and feel that overall the new updates will be for the better and improve some of the quirks in 5.0.

the Jester

Legend
Hard to say without a finished product, but if it has significant power creep, follows the apparent trend of making things like races more generic and less meaningful choices, and the like, it might be the first D&D edition or half-edition to come out since I started playing back in 1980-1981 that I won't adopt wholesale. I think I am more likely to throw in a few elements and exclude the rest than I am to throw out a few elements and include the rest.

I like the new weapon mastery rules. Some of the new class features for martials are cool. Casters don't need a bump, cantrips don't need a bump, turning spells that conjure animals into spells that create effects doesn't do it for me, adding feats to first level pcs is not an improvement for a "zero to hero" game (which is a playstyle I prefer), and so forth.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Hard to say without a finished product, but if it has significant power creep, follows the apparent trend of making things like races more generic and less meaningful choices, and the like, it might be the first D&D edition or half-edition to come out since I started playing back in 1980-1981 that I won't adopt wholesale. I think I am more likely to throw in a few elements and exclude the rest than I am to throw out a few elements and include the rest.

I like the new weapon mastery rules. Some of the new class features for martials are cool. Casters don't need a bump, cantrips don't need a bump, turning spells that conjure animals into spells that create effects doesn't do it for me, adding feats to first level pcs is not an improvement for a "zero to hero" game (which is a playstyle I prefer), and so forth.
I am turned off by some predicted things. However, I could easily use a well organized DMG. We shall see!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
To clarify that means purchasing or using all of the new core?

I totally get this is not a true edition change (which I am good with).
Yeap, ill get the core 3 plus the Vecna adventure. I was hoping for some nice 50th anniversary packaging, but everyone here seems to think thats a dumb expectation. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
I like the majority of the changes to the classes. It's more balanced and more dynamic. Even the fighter can do more than just run up and swing.

So I will be using the new PHB.
Probably the monster manual as well.

I haven't looked at the DMG since I started. So I don't see a need for another.

Kurotowa

Legend
I am ready and eager to embrace all of 5e'24. But I'm probably primed for it by my other pass times. I'm a long time MMO player. I hover on the edge of the fighting game community. I'm very familiar with the experience of a big balance patch that reworks the unpopular classes or characters, applies a light nerf to the most egregiously overperforming ones, and adjusts a couple of core system mechanics to function better. And often, if done well, it will improve the game markedly.

Here in the TTRPG sphere, we're more used to edition shifts that reset everything back to zero and often takes things in a markedly different direction. This isn't that. It's a balance patch and system update, and I'm all for those. Goodness knows they already tried a patch job for several classes with Tasha's Cauldron, and the flaws in the 2014 release were driving me to focus almost entirely on that book and other more recent releases. Heck, I'm not even one of the people who jumped ship to 3PP updates to the 5e framework. Of which there is no shortage; even this very website's EN Publishing put out one.

The existence of things like A5E shows how much the 2014 core books needed an update, and now they're doing it. Good on WotC. I'm going to happily buy them and, from what I've seen from the UA process, be thrilled to play the revisions.

Remove ads