D&D (2024) 1/2 in, half out

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Yeap, ill get the core 3 plus the Vecna adventure. I was hoping for some nice 50th anniversary packaging, but everyone here seems to think thats a dumb expectation. 🤷‍♂️
Damn. Vecna. I am a sucker for old lore and Greyhawk stuff…

I may not know how much will interest me if I am being honest.

I am shooting in the dark now. I don’t think I will want the phb or monster manual…nor adventure path stuff. Yawning portal type
Would be hard for me to pass up—-either the assumption the old classes will do fine as advertised…

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So my question: if you are going to pick and choose what to incorporate from 5.5, what will it be and why?
I suspect I will use the PHB wholesale and, as you say, the 2014 DMG is ripe to be replaced with a better one.

That said, I'm really skeptical of WotC's monster design skills and am looking forward to a monster book addict doing a head to head comparison of the 2024 Monster Manual, Kobold Press' Monster Vault (their Tales of the Valiant core monster book), ENWorld's Monstrous Menagerie and MCDM's Flee Mortals (although I know the last one is too crunchy for my needs, adding new rules systems, etc.).

Sight unseen, I'm leaning towards Monster Vault, based on what we've seen in the Kobold Press monster preview, but I'll make my final decision later this year (or whenever the 2024 Monster Manual is out). I want a single core monster book to rely on and only pull in additional monster books on occasion. (I like Cawood Publishing's biome-specific monster books like Monsters of the City or Monsters of Feyland for those purposes.)

EDIT: And honestly, special 50th anniversary trade dress could get me to buy all three, because I'm nostalgic like that. We'll see if that's a priority for WotC.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I suspect I will use the PHB wholesale and, as you say, the 2014 DMG is ripe to be replaced with a better one.

That said, I'm really skeptical of WotC's monster design skills and am looking forward to a monster book addict doing a head to head comparison of the 2024 Monster Manual, Kobold Press' Monster Vault (their Tales of the Valiant core monster book), ENWorld's Monstrous Menagerie and MCDM's Flee Mortals (although I know the last one is too crunchy for my needs, adding new rules systems, etc.).

Sight unseen, I'm leaning towards Monster Vault, based on what we've seen in the Kobold Press monster preview, but I'll make my final decision later this year (or whenever the 2024 Monster Manual is out). I want a single core monster book to rely on and only pull in additional monster books on occasion. (I like Cawood Publishing's biome-specific monster books like Monsters of the City or Monsters of Feyland for those purposes.)
I was recently prepping for my kids’ game and I realized the treasure tables aren’t quite as bad as I thought per se. But the layout just was somehow off.

I keep finding stuff I “missed” before. I think it’s a layout/organization problem more than a content problem. But it seems people conflate the two at time just as I did.

Better organization would be great.

I would also like better explanations and clarity of skills. I don’t know if it’s worth’s phb purchase if it is in there…but that would help my predominately 5e fueled game…

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I was recently prepping for my kids’ game and I realized the treasure tables aren’t quite as bad as I thought per se. But the layout just was somehow off.

I keep finding stuff I “missed” before. I think it’s a layout/organization problem more than a content problem. But it seems people conflate the two at time just as I did.

Better organization would be great.

I would also like better explanations and clarity of skills. I don’t know if it’s worth’s phb purchase if it is in there…but that would help my predominately 5e fueled game…
The good thing about the OGL fiasco is now we've got multiple people coming out with competing 5E products. I doubt your kids care much about who publishes the books for the game their dad runs. I suspect all of the people coming out with Creative Commons-powered 5E books are keenly aware of the 2014 books' shortcomings. And nearly every magic item, last I looked, was in the CC SRD, so it's likely we'll have a number of good alternatives to whatever WotC puts out this time.

mamba

Legend
Haven't decided yet, am not that impressed with the weapon masteries and do not like that they did not follow through on so many of their proposals. The end result might still be better than the 2014 version, but to me it is a letdown from what it could have been.

Never bothered with the 2014 DMG, so I might get the 2024 one, the MM is also a decent candidate, I like the general direction of monsters they had. I am rather undecided about the PHB, chances are I am not going with it and rather homebrew or switch to something else.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
When 3.5 came out we simply did not see the need. I was not even tempted. At first with 5e I felt the same.
I got the 3.5 PHB. Didn't even need the DMG or MM to keep playing 3.5. Funny, that.

My plan until I see more is to get the DMG and any adventure anthologies.
My plan is not to get any of it, because it will all be compatible. WotC said so.

So my question: if you are going to pick and choose what to incorporate from 5.5, what will it be and why?

All of it, because its barely any change at all.
@payn , I was expecting "none of it" for the reasons given. Did I misunderstand?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeap, ill get the core 3 plus the Vecna adventure. I was hoping for some nice 50th anniversary packaging, but everyone here seems to think thats a dumb expectation. 🤷‍♂️
Oh, the packaging should be nice, but there won't be a FLGS exclusive edition of the books, or a combo package, at least at first. Same books at B&N, BAM, Target, FlGS, Amazon, etc.

As to the OP, I will buy all 3, and frankly based on recent Mosnter booms expect that the new MM and PHB will totally replace the old in practice.

The new DMG, with a full Setting, multiple Adventures ready to go, and a Lore Glossary, will undoubtedly get use from me...but I think that means that a lot of the stuff I like in the 2014 DMG (hmmmmm, tables and charts) is likely to not come back, so I might still keep the 2014 DMG around for prepping stuff and inspiration, even if the new book is way better.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Damn. Vecna. I am a sucker for old lore and Greyhawk stuff…

I may not know how much will interest me if I am being honest.

I am shooting in the dark now. I don’t think I will want the phb or monster manual…nor adventure path stuff. Yawning portal type
Would be hard for me to pass up—-either the assumption the old classes will do fine as advertised…
Tales from the Infinite Staircase is also coming out, might be tempting...

Pretty strong odds that the DMG will have Greyhawk in it as an example ready to play Setting.

I have been thinking about the upcoming game maybe a little more realistically.

When 3.5 came out we simply did not see the need. I was not even tempted. At first with 5e I felt the same. Worse, I did not like many proposed changes to classes we are anticipating.

Then I gave it some more thought.

I really think I will get the DMG. That said, in recent weeks a closer inspection of the 5e DMG leaves me realizing I was looking though a fair amount of its value. Its organization and layout did not grab me as I would hope. I actively dislike mordenkainen’s guide…but have come to embrace Tasha’s…

My plan until I see more is to get the DMG and any adventure anthologies.

I really feel like for most tables it will be majority rule. Which, in other terms means all or nothing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I really feel like for most tables it will be majority rule. Which, in other terms means all or nothing.
On the contrary, I expect most tables will mix and match, which was my normatice experience with 3.x anyways: that us why interoperability is so important to WotC design here. Most tables who don't go over fully will no doubt start using bits and pieces of the new stuff over time, particularly if they put out a new SRD with the new material.

Remove ads