[GM Tool] Monster Generator - Free Program to Create New Monsters

Mordikenn

First Post
Monster Generator is an open source program used to create new monsters for Pathfinder D&D.

The program will create a monster with whatever type, powers, feats, and skills you like and calculate the stats for them automatically to make sure it has numbers appropriate for whatever Challenge Rating you intend. It can also create entirely random monsters with the push of a button.

You can download it for free here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/monstergenerato/

For details about how to use it, consult the README file. You can watch the tutorial here if you get stuck or are curious about some of the features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2CWaaSTCVw

I'm always looking for more feedback about it, or ways to improve the program! Feel free to post suggestions here or any bugs you might find. I just barely finished version 1.00 a few days ago, which took a lot of suggestions from users to improve the interface. You can look up very specific logs of what changed in the README file.

Hope you like it!
-JD

Attachments

• Monster Generator demo resized.jpg
    Monster Generator demo resized.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 5,471
Last edited:

Keldin

First Post
Suggestions, eh? Okay, I've got a couple. Well, more for additions to the application, really.

1) Add an import capability (and the relevant database).

By this I mean that there are times when I want to advance a monster based on a monster that already exists. So I'm suggesting a database to work from. Something similar already exists in Rob Cottrell's MonsterForge, but that hasn't been updated since 2009.

2) Add options for turning the creature into a familiar or an animal companion.

The first is probably going to be more difficult since familiars use their own or their master's base saves/skills, whichever is higher.

Mordikenn

First Post
Well those are a little tangential to the actual intent of the program, it wasn't to modify existing monsters it was to create entirely new ones from scratch. There's already a nice tool online to add templates to existing monsters here http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-advancer

I'm not sure there's much application for turning the creature into a familiar. That would require it to import or take stats from the master to figure out the majority of the creature's stats anyway.

I appreciate the feedback though. =)

Mordikenn

First Post
Yeah I've used their monster advancer before, it's quite nice. Adding a lot of templates to something can be pretty silly hehe.

Mordikenn

First Post
I thought I'd make up a monster for you on Monster Generator myself for fun. This is a CR 8 magical beast that could fit in a lot of different games. Enjoy!

Voidskin Hound CR 8
XP 4800
NE Large Magical Beast
Init +4; Senses Low-Light Vision, Darkvision 60ft; Perception +23

DEFENSE
AC 22, touch 13, flat-footed 18 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +9 natural)
hp 105 (11d10+44)
Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +6
DR 10/Magic Immunities Disease Resist Cold 30

OFFENSE
Speed 70 ft.
Melee bite +17 (2d6+6 plus disease) , 2 claws +14 (1d8+6)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Trip (bite), Disease (Su) (bite-injury save DC 16, Onset 1d3 days, frequency 1 day, effect 1d6 Con damage, cure 2 consecutive saves)

STATISTICS
Str 22, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12
Base Atk +11; CMB +18; CMD 32 (36 vs. trip)
Feats Endurance, Run, Iron Will, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite), Alertness
Skills Stealth+18, Perception+23; Racial Modifiers Perception +6
Languages Common
SQ Magical Beast Traits

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Trip (Ex)
A Voidskin Hound can attempt to trip its opponent as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity if it hits with its bite attack(s). If the attempt fails, the creature is not tripped in return.
Disease Attack (Su)
A Voidskin Hound causes disease in those it contacts. A Voidskin Hound's disease has a fortitude save DC of 16, an onset of 1d3 days, a frequency of 1 day, causes 1d6 con damage, and takes two saves to cure. The save DC is charisma-based.
Magical Beast Traits
Magical Beasts are similar to animals but can have Intelligence scores higher than 2 (in which case the creature knows at least one language, but can’t necessarily speak). Magical Beasts usually have supernatural or extraordinary abilities, but are sometimes merely bizarre in appearance or habits.
-Darkvision 60 feet.
-Low-light vision.
-Magical beasts breathe, eat, and sleep.

ECOLOGY
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or Pack (3-10)
Treasure: Standard

Voidskin Hounds are magically mutated creatures of unknown origin that tend to lurk near places with strong magical energy. They have dark teal skin with long prehensile tails, and feral faces that have oversized teeth.

Last edited:

Mordikenn

First Post
Hey, I've made another monster with Monster Generator for everyone. This was a faster monster, I made it in about 4 minutes and through the printing options I told it not to print out the monster's ability descriptions... since they're all well-known.

Again, it could fit into many games. It's a CR 5 carnivorous plant monster this time.

Cyprulian Bell CR 5
XP 1600
N Large Plant
Init -1; Senses Low-Light Vision, Scent, Blindsight 30ft; Perception +1

DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 8, flat-footed 15 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +7 natural)
hp 67 (7d8+35)
Fort +11, Ref +1, Will +3
Immunities Paralysis Resist Cold 10

OFFENSE
Speed 10 ft.
Melee bite +8 (3d6+4) , 2 tentacles +3 (1d6+4)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Constrict (1d6+4), Grab (tentacle)

STATISTICS
Str 18, Dex 8, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Base Atk +5; CMB +10 (+14 grapple); CMD 19
Feats Improved Grapple, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Great Fortitude, Toughness
Skills Survival+8
Languages -
SQ Plant Traits, Blindsight 30ft

ECOLOGY
Environment: Dense Forest
Organization: Solitary
Treasure: None

A Cyprulian Bell is a large light green pod that sits upright most of the time. It attracts animals and passers-by with a sweet smell, and when they come close enough it lashes out with hidden tentacles and grabs them to pull them in close and devour. The plant is semi-mobile, but it prefers to stay rooted in the ground as often as it can.

Ramaster

Adventurer
Hey, this is quite cool and has awesome possibilities.

I would like to see some type of "AC Workshop" that lets me AC items to the critter. The Attack and Defense powers (with associated costs) looks very promising as well. Also, the Feat tab should be alphabetically organized.

Keep working at it and you'll get my feedback and help!

EDIT: Tried adding an additional attack to the .txt file (Falchion) and it worked just fine.

Last edited:

Mordikenn

First Post
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy it so far. I made the files and kept them in .txt format specifically so people could add things into them.

Right now it's not heavily supported though, your Falchion probably did 1d4 base damage because that's the default even though it appeared on the list. The AC Workshop is a good idea I might implement because I was looking for a way to let it add in armor bonuses for part of the monster's AC anyway and it didn't feel like a 'power'.

Remove ads