[GM Tool] Monster Generator - Free Program to Create New Monsters

Mordikenn

First Post
Hi again! I thought I'd take the opportunity to mention that a couple people were asking for a feature that would let them randomize only certain parts of a monster instead of the whole thing... Well, this is already a part of the program. You can set whatever options you want and leave the rest blank, and then click the 'RANDOMIZE REMAINING CHOICES' button down in the lower right side of the screen.If you want to do this a few times in a row, you'll have to reset the form and set the options you want each time before clicking RANDOMIZE REMAINING CHOICES.
You can also uncheck the randomize CR checkbox next to the Random Monster button if you only want it to keep the CR between randomizing monsters.
I hope that helps!

I've also made a custom power. You can add this power to the bottom of the custom_powers.txt file and then go inside the powers_qualities.txt file and add it under 1-point powers. This should demonstrate another lesser known feature of the program that's very useful... being able to define your own powers for monsters.

#Sacrilegious Aura
aura ([cone], DC [10 + HD/2 + chamod])
Sacrilegious Aura (Su)
A [name] constantly exudes an aura of intense evil and negative energy in a 30-foot radius. This miasma of fell energies hinders the channeling of positive energy. Any creature that attempts to summon positive energy in this area—such as through a cleric's channel energy ability, a paladin's lay on hands, or any spell with the healing subtype—must make a concentration check of DC [10 + HD/2 + chamod]. If the character fails, the effect is expended but does not function. The DC is charisma-based.

Keldin

First Post
Well, I know it really doesn't apply for this application (because it requires a bit more data input added), but I am still interested in something that can apply the 'template' to make a creature a familiar or an animal companion.

Mordikenn

First Post
In honor of version 1.01's swarm fix I made you all a swarm monster. Belated, yes, but I think it'll keep pretty well. Everyone loves the Underdark right?

Vileskin Beetle Swarm CR 8
XP 4800

N Fine Vermin (Swarm)
Init +3; Senses Scent, Darkvision 60ft; Perception +1

DEFENSE
AC 22, touch 21, flat-footed 19 (+8 size, +3 Dex, +1 natural)
hp 105 (11d8+55)
Fort +12, Ref +6, Will +4
Defensive Abilities Swarming Mass
Immunities Critical Hit, Flanking, Poison, Weapon Damage Resist Electricity 30, Fire 30

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Swarm (4d6 plus poison)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Distraction (DC 20), Hinder Spellcasting, Poison (Ex) (bite-injury save DC 20, frequency 1/round for 6 rounds, effect 1d6 Con damage, cure 2 consecutive saves)

STATISTICS
Str 10, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 0, Wis 12, Cha 1
Base Atk +8; CMB +9; CMD 22
Feats -
Skills: -
Languages -
SQ Vermin Traits

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Poison (Ex)
A Vileskin Beetle Swarm can poison those it attacks. A Vileskin Beetle Swarm's bite attack(s) will inflict a poison on its victims that has a fortitude save DC of 20, a frequency of 1/round for 6 rounds, causes 1d6 con damage, and takes two saves to cure. The save DC is constitution-based.

ECOLOGY
Environment: Subterranean
Organization: Solitary or Hive (3-8)
Treasure: None

A Vileskin Beetle Swarm is composed of thousands of dark skinned beetles. They move far faster than regular insects and consume anything in their path, taking down larger creatures with their poison and their fortitude. They share the underdark with the drow, who refer to them as 'The Black Carpet'.

Mordikenn

First Post
With a little modification, this monster has almost completely random powers. It's a good example of how you can supply the main features and then click on 'Randomize Remaining Choices' in order to fill in all the blanks and make monster development easier. Upon very close inspection a few choices might not make sense (like how it can summon a daemon despite being a devil), but overall the monster is fine and he'd work to sub into a game quickly, which is the intention of random monsters.

Bugendeene Lancer CR 16
XP 76800
LE Large Outsider (Devil, Evil, Lawful)
Init +8; Senses See in Darkness, Darkvision 60ft; Perception +31
Auras Elusive Aura

DEFENSE
AC 30, touch 13, flat-footed 26 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +17 natural)
hp 287 (19d10+182)
Fort +16, Ref +15, Will +19
DR 5/Cold Iron Immunities Fire Resist Acid 10, Cold 10

OFFENSE
Speed 50 ft.
Melee +5 lance +33/+28/+23/+18 (2d6+15/x3 plus 1 Con damage) , 2 wings +23 (1d4+10) , tail lash +23 (1d8+10)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.

1/day-Summon (level 7, 1 Temerdaemon, 110%)

Cleric spells prepared: (CL 12, Concentration +18)
Domains: sun, knowledge
6th-(DC 22) Fire Seeds, Planar Ally, Heroes' Feast, Greater Dispel Magic
5th-(DC 21) Flame Strike, Atonement, Commune(2), Plane Shift
4th-(DC 20) Fire Shield, Poison, Chaos Hammer(2), Repel Vermin
3rd-(DC 19) Speak With Dead, Cure Serious Wounds, Speak with Dead, Bestow Curse, Meld into Stone, Dispel Magic, Animate Dead
2nd-(DC 18) Heat Metal, Remove Paralysis, Bull's Strength, Status, Make Whole
1st-(DC 17) Comprehend Languages, Deathwatch, Magic Stone, Protection From Chaos/Evil/Good/Law, Cause Fear, Obscuring Mist, Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
0th-(DC 16) Light(2), Detect Magic, Stabilize

Special Attacks Wounding Attack (1 Con), 1d6 Sneak Attack

STATISTICS
Str 30, Dex 18, Con 26, Int 20, Wis 22, Cha 20
Base Atk +19; CMB +30; CMD 44
Feats Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Improved Vital Strike, Iron Will, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Perception), Vital Strike
Skills: Craft (choose one) +30, Diplomacy +24, Knowledge (religion) +27, Knowledge (religion) +27, Knowledge (religion) +27, Knowledge (religion) +27, Knowledge (religion) +27, Knowledge (religion) +27, Knowledge (religion) +27, Perception +28, Sense Motive +28
Languages Common, Telepathy 100ft
SQ Outsider Traits, Freedom of Movement, Pass Without Trace, Constructed, Does not Breathe

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Summon Monster (Sp)
A Bugendeene Lancer can summon its kin as the Summon Monster spell. Using this ability, a Bugendeene Lancer has a 110% chance to summon a Temerdaemon. This ability functions as a level 7 spell. A Bugendeene Lancer can only use this ability once per day. Roll d%: On a failure, no creature answers the summons. Summoned creatures automatically return from whence they came after 1 hour. A creature summoned in this way cannot use any spells or spell-like abilities that require material components costing more than 1 gp unless those components are supplied, nor can it use its own summon ability for 1 hour. No experience points are awarded for defeating summoned monsters.

+5 lance
A Bugendeene Lancer wields a +5 lance, the bonuses are included in its stats above.

Wounding Attack (Ex)
When a Bugendeene Lancer hits a target with its lance attack(s), it badly damages their body. Each attack inflicts 1 constitution damage in addition to any other effects of the attack. If a Wounding Attack scores a critical hit, the target instead takes 2 constitution damage (or more, if the attack's critical multiplier is higher than x2).

Constructed (Ex)
Although living, a Bugendeene Lancer's body is constructed from physical components and in many ways it functions as a construct. For the purposes of effects targeting creatures by type, a Bugendeene Lancer counts as both a Outsider and a Construct. They are immune to death effects, disease, mind-affecting effects, necromancy effects, paralysis, poison, sleep, stun, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless). Bugendeene Lancers are not subject to nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or negative levels. They are not at risk of death from massive damage. They have bonus hit points as constructs of their size.

Elusive Aura (Su)
A Bugendeene Lancer exudes an 20 ft aura that affects all creatues within the area as if by a 'Nondetection' spell. The caster level check to attempt divination on creatures within the aura is 34.

ECOLOGY
Environment: The Nine Hells
Organization: Solitary or Phalanx (6)
Treasure: Standard

With its blue skin and heavy armor, always caked with dirt, a Bugendeene Lancer is normally on the front lines against demons. A Bugendeene Lancer is known for its honorable ways, they are always unbiased in their dealings and follow their orders. They're a very stable addition to the underworld's army, helping to maintain order within the ranks.

Mordikenn

First Post
I have some good news...
Version 1.02 is done! The primary difference is that I changed the UI to include a File and Options menu, and now you can save/ open monsters within the generator.
As always, you can download the new version here: Download Monster Generator.
I wasn't that active on working on this for a while, but I did have some more things I wanted to include in the generator so I just went ahead and finished up this version for you all. Let me know how you like the new features!

Happy Monster Generating!

Update Notes for Version 1.02:
Added the ability to save a monster between sessions, and open a monster you've previously worked on.
Added the power Mindless (intelligent only) to make monsters that are not normally mindless lose their intelligence score.
Added an error notifications for when r_feats files are missing.
Changed the interface! Added a File and an Options menu. Randomize Remaining Choices and RESET ALL have swapped places, and all of the options which had checkboxes before are now stored inside the options dropdown menu.
Changed swarm monsters to display swarm attack instead of their regular attacks, rather than in addition to them.
Changed powers, skills, and feats added to display the added item in current item's respective menu immediately.
Fixed a bug where swarm monsters were using the incorrect size value for their AC.
Fixed a bug where poison immunity was not printing in PF format.
Fixed smite selection box to say 'Select an Alignment for Smite'.
Fixed the spelling of 'Camouflage'.
Fixed a bug where offhand attacks were not reseting to the default label on removal.
Fixed a bug where offhand attacks were not being disabled when the feat was removed.
Fixed a bug where 'Randomize Remaining Choices' was not spotting chosen subtypes past the first spot when the first spot was empty.
Fixed a bug where 'Use Recommended Skills' was not updating the current skills available after selecting recommended skills.

Mordikenn

First Post
To show how close it normally is to the actual balancing of PF monsters from their bestiary, I recreated a Belblith from the Monster Manual. It was quite close, I marked all the differences with brackets.

Beblith CR 10
XP 9600
CE Huge Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar)
Init +5; Senses Scent, Darkvision 60ft; Perception +17

DEFENSE
AC 22, touch 9, flat-footed 21 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +13 natural)
hp 163 (13d10+91) [1 more HD, causes some number changes]
Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +11
DR 10/Good

OFFENSE
Speed 50 ft., climb 50 ft. [speed a little faster]
Melee bite +20 (2d6+9 plus poison) , 2 claws +15 (1d8+9/19-20,x2)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 13; concentration +14)
The save DC against a Beblith's spells is 11+ spell level. A Beblith's spells use Charisma as the primary casting attribute.
At Will: Plane Shift
3/day: Wall of Force [Extra 3/day SLA]
Special Attacks Web (+12 Ranged, DC 23, 13 hp), Poison (Ex) (bite-injury save DC 23, frequency 1/round for 6 rounds, effect 1d6 Con damage, cure 2 consecutive saves) [Dismantle Armor, Penetrating Strike not listed]

STATISTICS
Str 28, Dex 12, Con 24, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12
Base Atk +13; CMB +24; CMD 35 (47 vs. trip)
Feats Cleave, Improved Critical (claw), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack
Skills: Acrobatics +18, Climb +22, Perception +17, Sense Motive +17, Stealth +17, Survival +14; Racial Modifiers Stealth +4
Languages Common, Telepathy 100ft
SQ Outsider Traits

[ended with 6 extra PP, which roughly corresponds to not being able to add Dismantle Armor and Penetrating Strike]

Remove ads