Recruiting to playtest Steel Dragon's World of Orea RPG: D&D 1 & 2e base +

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I've been debating doing this for a while...having never run a PbP before...and at this stage of "production" on the game rules and set materials, I think it's a good time to get some people diving in and opinions.

So, what is World of Orea [WoO] RPG?!

That'd be mine. A game system that's been getting cludged together over the past few decades as my homebrew campaign setting grew/was developed [which was originally designed to be a setting only, edition or rpg system neutral]. All of the 5e hoopla got me to thinking and finally really putting my homebrew notes and rules together and thinking about what "my ideal D&D" would ultimately include/be like.

So...now there's a framework of a system to go along with the setting.

The game is essentially D&D 1e and 2e with some 3e and 5e-inspired elements tossed in...possibly some stuff from 4e as well but since I don't really know that edition, any similarities will be few and completely unintentional. It will take place, obviously, in the game setting of Orea. [see my enworld blog link in my sig if you want to scan through a bit of Orean info to see if you might be interested.]

For the purposes of recruits, since this is to "test out" the game system as much as explore/use/play into the setting, I think I'd like to keep options a bit limited at the moment. To that end, if you're interested and have a PC concept you want to use, be aware that we'll start at level 1 with the following races and classes:

Humans [4 ethnicities/cultures to choose from, though the full game world has 9 in total.]
Elves (PC will be from a single "sub-race"/culture for our purposes. Figure the OD&D-thru-3e style "High elf.")
Satyrs
Dwarves
Gnomes
...and Daelvar [Orean hairfooted halflings but think more this halfling1.jpg not so much this 0halflingThief.jpg . But if you want to be a dumpy-hobbitish daelvar, I'm certainly not going to stop you.]

Warrior Classes: Fighter, Barbarian [a specific human culture only], Paladin [Lawful alignment only], Ranger
Priest Classes: Cleric, Druid [True Neutral only]
Rogue Classes: Thief [any non-Lawful alignment], Bard [any Neutral alignment]
Wizard Classes: Mage, Illusionist
Other Classes: Psychic [for the purposes of this test, humans or elves only]

"WoO" uses the 9-point alignment [Lawful-Neutral-Chaotic and Good-Neutral-Evil] system. Detailed descriptions of the alignments will be provided as/when necessary as part of the character generation process.

My goto Ability Score method is 4d6 take the highest 3. Arrange as desired (as certain classes do/will have ability minimums. Off the top of my head, I believe Paladin, Barbarian and Psychic are the only ones..but have to check that.)

Since everything is "Orean" in origin, they don't work entirely like D&D equivalents and so I expect Character generation to be an interactive process in the Rogue's Gallery thread before we actually get started on an adventure. Once we have a roster of players, we can go through the specifics of various races and classes (and class themes, skills and spells - as applicable).

Anywho...I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's see if anyone's interested and go from there. :)

--Steel Dragons

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
95 views and not a single taker, eh?

hmmm. No one wants to be the first for a glimpse...maybe even have some input in what makes it to the final project?

Ok. How 'bout this...We'll just make it a straight up 1e game and I'll offer you "World of Orea" details to add/tweak along the way as we go that you can choose to include or ignore [stick with the official 1e info/rules/fluff]? See if you like them or not. That more appealing to people?

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Well it is the weekend, and there is *a lot* of background to read. :) I'd give it at least a week before even starting to get discouraged.

What about the adventure itself, if I might ask? Where in the world is the party at the begining of all this (Grinlia? Mostrial? The Free lands?) and what's the starting situation/what's the adventure going to be about? (Speaking for myself, that's what motivates me most about joining a game or not.) If you haven't decided yet, maybe something to do with the faery realms? (just read through your first post on cosmology: nice :cool:).

P.S. I'll be away fro the next few days. Back on Wednesday.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Well it is the weekend, and there is *a lot* of background to read. :) I'd give it at least a week before even starting to get discouraged.

What about the adventure itself, if I might ask? Where in the world is the party at the begining of all this (Grinlia? Mostrial? The Free lands?) and what's the starting situation/what's the adventure going to be about? (Speaking for myself, that's what motivates me most about joining a game or not.) If you haven't decided yet, maybe something to do with the faery realms? (just read through your first post on cosmology: nice :cool:).

P.S. I'll be away fro the next few days. Back on Wednesday.

Thanks for the response, Binder. You are corect, of course. Thanks, also, for the heads up about being away til Wed. I appreciate that. :)

I had thought a small-medium sized town in "The Freelands" would be a good starting point since:
1) It's one of the more "open/sandboxy" parts of Orea.
2) Humans there are an amalgam of all of the other enthnicities, so any "Freelander" PCs could look -eye/hair color, skin tone, height/weight, etc... any way they wanted. While, simultaneously, with the heavy trade traffic through the Freelands other human PCs could also be from any of the other specific nations if they prefer.
3) Every other race is represented from somewhere in the Freelands (thoguh, I suppose not much moreso than elsewhere inOrea, except Tanku or Mostrial, demi-humans being rare there). Daelvar can come from the Hollow Hills; Dwarves from Daegun or Lindril; Elves or Satyrs [or gnomes or centaurs] from Ef'thriel or Mistwood, any of them could be from any of the city-states...just makes it easy. So it's not like anyone has to be from "oh so far away" to get you guys together. Though whatever BG's people want for themselves is more than fine with me.
4) Just about any class is easy to justify, though a Gorunduun barbarian might be a stretch, geographically, but druids can come straight from Mistwood, clerics of pretty much any deity, paladins (of those deities which have them), plenty of mages moving around (from R'Hath or anywhere else), and of course warriors of all stripes (fighting style preferences) would fit in easily. Again, not necessarily difficult for most other nations, but the Freelands just seems to the most open/general place to start.

As to "the starting mission/adventure" I hadn't given that too much thought since I want people to explore and basically let the PCs step "out into the world" at whatever pace they want. So, throwin' out of bunch of hooks and seeing where/which people want to go is my general "go to" for starting a campaign.

My only initial thought is, as a 1st level party with a set of new rules/system/elements to get used to, an "ease in" dungeon/barrow crawl is probable just to get people's feet wet with new things. After that, "sky's the limit" far as I'm concerned. I've developed Orea to accommodate pretty much anything..."Medium-to-high-magic [depending where you are] fantasy" is the name/genre of the game. Though I've tried to offer/keep even "caster classes" and "non-caster classes." You don't/shouldn't need to be a magic-wielding guy to do well in Orea.

Binder Fred

Back. So... I'd be up for a barrow crawl. :)

Right now I'm thinking human, a risk taker/gambler, bet (intends to bet?) his soul to one of the fae and lost it. Gave him added sensibilities to the different planes and a hunger for anything that makes him feel *alive*! Gold, luxuries, food, women, *risk*!

In that spirit, what are the differences between the four human etnicities available at start-up? Might go for a straight Fighter or maybe a Psychic, depending on what *they* do? What do you think?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Sunuvuh...Had a whole reply to this written out, hit "post" and now it's just gone.

Bugger.

Well, nothing to do but try to remember/write it all out again. Ok. So...

...regarding the human options, they are purely visual and cultural difference. There is no mechanical difference for different humans...I considered it and figured with a list of 9 or 10 races already, to make each of the 9 human cultures have separate ability stuff was too much...built in skills might still be a possibility, but I'm leaning away from that. Languages are effected/determined, yes. The general info is displayed below.

To save myself retyping a whole buncha stuff, here's the current "official" material for the races I was going to use in this game...if someone wants to be a "barbarian" class, I would open up the Gorunduun, since you have to be from the Gorunduun clans to be a barbarian in the World of Orea and there are several clan-specific class features that come into play. But other than that, we'll use the following 4:
Human
Humans are the most populace race of the Orean Realms. There are several different ethnicities of humans across the world, with several distinct cultures and societies as well as certain realms that are a mixture of various, if not all of these peoples. Heights, weights, skin tones, hair and eye colors follow general tendencies dependant on the human’s nation/culture of origin (detailed later). On the whole, humans are the shortest lived of all of Orea’s races, only living to about 100 years, but not much more. But they make up for their short spans with a determination, adaptability, and versatility that few other races possess.

Human PCs have the following abilities:
~ +1 to any two ability scores, to a maximum of 18.
~ Human Versatility: Humans begin play with +2 Skill Points.
~ Languages: All Human PCs begin play able to speak the Common tongue, the language of their nation of origin (if a separate language exists) a.k.a. their "Homeland" tongue + slots for additional languages equal to their Intelligence modifier.

----------------------------------------------------------
Freelander:
The humans of the southern realms of independent city-states known, collectively, as the Freelands are a conglomeration of the other human ethnicities on Orea. As such, heights, weights, skin tones, hair and eye color of Freelanders can run the full extent of human possibility.

The native/national language of the Freelands is Common.

There are no prescribed naming conventions within the Freelands, having influences from all of the known realms and Orean races.
It is recommended, for easy beginning play, that human PC’s default as "Freelander" humans.

Mostralian:
The people of Mostrial are a hearty and noble race. They are known for their strong sense of honor. A Mostralian who gives his word is [allegedly] giving his life. They are also reputed to be a strong willed people with a fierce spirit that cannot be overcome.

Appearance
Physically, their heights run the full gamut of human possibility but average between 5 and 6 feet, with women generally being in the lower half. Their hair and eye coloring ranges on the lighter side, from brown through blond with red hair not uncommon. Eyes are generally also light: blue, green, and hazel being predominant.
Skin tone, on the whole is paler than Grinlians or most Freelanders. Freckling is not uncommon, though most Mostralians are able to become naturally weathered or tan. As in the real world, red heads are generally paler/more milky and prone to freckle and/or burn rather than tan.

Culture/Naming
Family names in Mostrial are very important. Where you are from or who sired you are the most common. Both are preceded by the prefix “Eth”, which can be interpreted as either “born of/son of”, as in Lela Eth Mitar or “from/(native) son of”, as in Talador Eth Eoril.
Usually, family/clan names last only a couple generations, though many upper class and royal families trace their name back to some legendary heroic figure. Great deeds done by a particular person will probably result in their name beginning a new surname in the family line.

The Mostralians are known to be very skilled warriors and have a reputation as excellent shipbuilders and seamen. They also have a reputation for being talented musically. Minstrels from Mostrial are honored guests and prized entertainers wherever they go, owing mostly to the fame of the Hero of the Thorn, the half-elven bard, Calidwyn Spellsinger.

The old language of the realms of Mostrial from the days following the Godswar, through the years of Adrigol up to the Scourge Wars is called “Mostralian”. The language is sometimes referred to as "Old Mostralian", still known, taught, and used among the people of Mostrial and the learned of Orea or “the Old Tongue” to the secluded common folk who still speak it. Still, modern-day “Common” is the language used in the large population centers across Mostrial. A Mostralian human PC can be assumed to know “Old Mostralian” as their regional tongue.

Tankuun or “Islander”: The United Island Kingdoms of Tanku are collected off the southeast mainland of Orea. While terrain varies from island to island, generally these realms are tropical paradises. The seafaring peoples of Tanku are hailed over the whole of Orea as among the most regal and noble. On the whole, they possess a quiet reservation and contempletive nature that has given rise to the belief that the Tanku are able to commune with the winds and seas over which they rule.

Appearance
While there are variations in appearances among some of the “Islanders” (as they are collectively called by mainlanders) or “Tanku” (as they collectively refer to themselves) are taller than most humans. Up to six and a half at the high end is not uncommon for men. Within an inch or two of six feet is average for women. They are dark skinned, ranging from caramel to dark brown, to the indigenous tribes from the island of Tanku with ebony black skin. Hair is dark brown or black and tightly curled. Eyes are overwhelmingly brown or black. Members of the tribes from the island of Dalram are known to occasionally sport bright sea-green eyes offset from their golden caramel skin. They are considered great beauties by almost all peoples of Orea.

Culture/Naming
From the major island of Tanku a highking rules over the other lesser island kings. Disputes among the lesser kings is not uncommon, but in general the United Island Kingdoms are a lawful well-ordered society. The other larger islands that are recognized as comprising the United Kingdoms are Dalram, Ulba, and Omduppo. But there are countless smaller islands (often with their own “Chiefs” or “Kings”) aligned with one or the other of the more powerful kings.

The Tanku are one of the original Five Tribes of Men created by the elder gods. After the Great Spell and the ensuing chaos of the Godswar, the Tanku embraced the coming of the new gods (who are the current Orean pantheon.)

In the wake of the Godswar, the first high-king of Tanku outlawed the practice of sorcery, blaming the evil wizards of Seluria as the casters of the Great Spell (and thus the cause of the cataclysms of the Godswar) that destroyed their formerly immense empire.

To this day, the study, teaching or practice of non-divine magic is outlawed in the Island Kingdoms.

The "common" language of the United Islands of Tanku is called, simply, “Islander.” It is a combination of the various larger island dialects into a semi-cohesive language. The ancient language of the Tanku empire and the original tribe itself, is still “Tanku”. While most peoples of the United Island Kingdoms speak Islander, it is not uncommon to find those doing business with Tanku proper conversing in the native tongue. Tankuun PCs will know Islander and consider Common their second language.

First names are usually simple (one or two syllables) and lyrical with soft vowel sounds. Lots of “ah’s” and “ih” sounds with soft sounds like “s”, “sh”, “l” and “m” most common. Family names in Tanku are not so strictly important to one’s societal standing as other Orean human nations. Family names don’t really exist. Each individual is dubbed a surname upon reaching adulthood that is somehow specific to and descriptive of them. In formal occasions this is followed by the name of one’s home island.
A typical Tankuun name might be something like: “Lisha Wave-Dancer Tanku” or “Manu Throws-Spears Omduppo” but, unless speaking with other Islanders, they would introduce themselves simply as “Lisha Wave-Dancer” or “Manu Throws-Spears.”

Grinlian: The people of Grinlia, “the Great Kingdom”, can be as diverse as the realms of Orea themselves. On the whole, they are capable and industrious by nature.

Appearance
Physically, their heights are the standard for Orean humans. Men often grow to 6 feet and women between 5 and a half and 5’ 10” or so. Natural human diversity allows for differences of a few inches to a full foot at either end of the spectrum. So Grinlian humans of the full range of human possibility are not particularly unusual, with the bulk of the population being 5’6” to 6 feet. Skin, hair and eye coloring is generally darker than either the northern barbarians or humans of the southern kingdom. Their normal complexion can be from light tanned to olive skinned, with the darker end of the skintones from the well-tanned coastal people around the Arm of Tyris. Grinlians have hair ranging from brown through very dark brown and black, though lighter shades are not uncommon. Red hair is rare. Eyes are overwhelmingly brown, with blue eyes the second most common. Green/hazel eyes are uncommon but not odd. Violet or grey eyes are very rare and striking characteristics.

Culture/Naming
Grinlian surnames often have prefixes. The most common south of the Arm of Tyris is ‘Kar,’ “son of,” as in Darmon Kar Denil. North of the Arm of Tyris there is also L’ a contraction from the Selurian “Levarus” or “the house of,” as in L’lorn. O’ for “of the” as in O’Douhn and D’, adopted from the elvin prefix for “river” or “flowing from”, as in D’Ensior.

Family names of humbler folk are generally descriptive of the family trade, “So-an-so [the] Miller, So-and-so [the] Smith”, location, “So-and-so [of] Richton,” or a given/chosen name that is descriptive of some trait, practice, or characteristic, as in “Elibon Redsword” or “Aline Sure-eye.”

Common is the official language of Grinlia though there is an additional regional language spoken by men from the Duchy of O’Douhn, called “Dondon.” Humans originating from the Duchy of O’Douhn should be assumed to know Dondon. (See Languages on page ??.)

As to Psyhics and what they do...they use psychic powers, of course! :D Armor is limited to "light" [padded, leather or studded leather, as the system exists now.]. Weapon selection is similarly limited, a few more things than mages but not so much as clerics...think "druid-lite" options. I believe (off the top of my head) primary abilities are Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma. A 15 or greater in all three abilities are required to be the Psychic class. Psychics are, obviously, quite rare. A high Constitution is also desireable for mechanical reasons to be explained later if you go this route.

The psychic does not function with spell slots but "Power Points" or "Psychic Points", if you prefer ["PP", determined by ability scores + level] per day. Your choice of available powers are mostly through your chosen Discipline. There is also a small set of powers that are not "Discipline-specific" or, rather, powers "all/any psychics" have access to. The more potent or long lasting the power, the higher the point cost. Your options for the day are solely limited to your number of PPs. They replenish over night/with rest, similar to regaining spell energies/slots.

For the beginning set, the Disciplines are: Telepathy or Telekinetics. You get 1 to start. A second may be chosen at 6th level (by which time I would hope to include/have completed other disciplines, such as "Clairvoyance", "Pyrokinetics", etc...).

Your premise is an interesting one...I'm curious how I would incorporate some kind of "faye senses" into your/a human character. And/or make it a quest you're interested in doing, and why...a trip into the fairy lands could easily be arranged...:hmm:hmmm.

Binder Fred

...regarding the human options, they are purely visual and cultural difference. There is no mechanical difference for different humans...I considered it and figured with a list of 9 or 10 races already, to make each of the 9 human cultures have separate ability stuff was too much...built in skills might still be a possibility, but I'm leaning away from that. Languages are effected/determined, yes. The general info is displayed below.
I would still suggest putting a little something in to give each a bit of local colour? Doesn't have to be skills or feats (although a +2 to some specific skills is always nice :)). For example, I always thought that characters native to Venza (the Living Pathfinder home city) should have their choice of one glass-steel item -- that city being knows for its glasswork. Maybe that concept could be extended to your ethnicities? Freelanders get their pick of one free non-combat, non-treasure mundane item form the equipments list, (or maybe their pick of any other ethnic ability?), to reflect the multi-cultural, cosmopolitan nature of their varied mini-kingdoms? Mostrians can decorate/engrave/emboss one "family heirloom" for free (usually their armor), adding XXX to its value (and getting +X to impress in social interactions?) but they loose face/confidence should they ever hide it (-X to all social interactions when the heirloom is hidden/lost). Grinlians could get a free artisan's kit, giving them +X to one skill of their choice? (My guy would go for a set of loaded dice in a minute! :p).

Alright, here we go: let there be stats!

4d6(keep best 3)=16, 4d6=14, 4d6=9, 4d6=9, 4d6=14, 4d6=15

Not bad, and Psychic is still a possibility (even though I see my guy as having a very low wisdom indeed, in the RL sense of the word :devil:). Hm... How flexible is the system? I'm thinking of making him a primary fighter, giving him a few Thief/Rogue abilities (through skills/Feats?) and maybe he could get one(1) Psychic power or sense through a Feat or equivalent to represent his sensibility to the planes/Fae? Maybe with a compensating Flaw if necessary? (that's if you want to have it built-into the system, of course; could just hand-wave it and let you design whatever you feel is appropriate for him if you find the concept interresting enough (he didn't exactly *choose* his present condition, now did he, right? ;)).

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Hmmm...let me try to take things one at a time...

For starters, there are no individual "feats", per se...I mean, in the sense you seem to be thinking, "I could take a feat?" No. The "feats" in the system are special maneuvers and/or abilities built into the characters' Themes...as are bonus skills for most of them. So, there isn't a "gimme one psychic power type feat"...

...though, I should/could think of a theme that would offer some kind of "bare bones" liiiimmmmited psychic awareness/power...especially since the system already has, in place, themes that offer minor magic/spell use of full arcane, illusionary, divine and natural origins. I suppose it's only fair there be one for psychic power as well.

Anywho, themes are broken up by class group. So there are options for: General, Warrior, Rogue, Priest or Wizard themes. Any class can choose from the General List. The "base" classes: Fighter, Mage, Cleric, Thief, choose from General and their respective class group. "Sub"- [I prefer "Secondary"] Classes choose from General, their "base class" analogue (a Paladin chooses from Warrior, for example), and an additional group (in the example of a Paladin, they can choose from Priest also). Bards are the only class (of the ones introduced thus far) that are permitted to choose from any Theme group.

As for your fighter with rogue abilities, that is easily possible one of ...four [?] ways:
1) The PC is a Fighter. Use your Skill Points (SP) to take roguey non-weapon skills. Pretty much all of them are available to any class: Search, Stealth, Sleight of Hand, Disarm Device...you're just not as adept or immediately diverse as the actual Thief...and/or take a "roguish" Theme, which as a Fighter, I believe Bounty Hunter or Assassin are available to you.

2) The PC is a Thief [rogues use d10 HD, incidentally). Use your SP to take "fightery" non-weapon skills and/or a "fightery" theme. Off the top of my head...I believe Archer, Brawler, Dual-wielder and...there was 4th one...maybe a 5th too...I'll have to look it up, a couple of the Rogue specific themes are "combat-y" also...and the General Themes, Assassin and Bounty Hunter are also open to you. For the "faye" connection, there is a Rogue theme called Trickster, which allows minor access to illusionist spells...just a thought.

3) The PC is a Bard, and just downplays/doesn't really use his/her magic all that much. Still gets the Rogue class d10 HD, light or medium armor...not a bad combatant. Though the Bardic spells would permit things like Charms and Illusions, so not "psychic powers" per se, but "mind-effecting" and "faye-ish."

or 4) While I was planning/going to try to keep PCs single classed (for the purposes of the initial tests). The World of Orea RPG has been designed to permit multi-classing...2 classes to start, only. There is no 3e style multi-classing. your abilities increase through the acquisiton of adding new skills or improving existing ones and adding to or improving existing Themes.

The next time/place you'd be able to add a full class would be at 6th level. So in this case a "Fighter/Thief"...gets you everything of both classes, but progression is significantly slower. And your Rogue abilities would still be hampered by medium or heavy armor. But you'd be, essentially, capable as a "full" Fighter and a "full" Thief.

So, yeah, I am hoping the fact your idea (and, theoretically, any PC concept) has a good 3 or 4 avenues that can give you something close, if not exact, to what you want indicates a "flexible" system, rather than an overly complex one. ;)

As you noted, good rolls! A Psychic is totally possible, using your human ability bumps to get up to 15 at least one more place.

For your reference: Ability score bonuses:
8-12 = 0 ("average" gets no bonus)
13-14 = +1
15 = +2
16 = +3
17 = +4
18 = +5 (human maximum natural potential)

Fighter: starting HP 12 + Con bonus (if any). XP to level 2: 1,000. Beginning weapons: 4 +1/3 levels. Beginning SP: 2 +1/4 levels. Themes: 1 +1/2 levels.
All armor & weapons (obviously).
Features: Combat Mastery +1 to hit & damage every other level, Rush attack (deal extra damage or push/knock opponents), Extra Attacks (as many attacks as you have levels against creatures with 1HD of less), Athletics skill +2 to all Athletics and Strength rolls (regardless of actual Strength)....and I'm debating a "Receive Charge" ability/mechanic but not really happy with it yet. We'll cross that bridge if/when you need to receive a charge. hahaha.

Thief: starting hp 10 + Con. bonus (if any). XP to 2nd level: 1,000. Beginning weapons: 3 +1/4 levels. Beginning SP: 2 +1/3 levels. Themes: 1 +1/3 levels.
Any armor, but penalties to Rogue abilities for more than Light. Any weapon, though missile and single-handed are recommended/preferred to take advantage of the Thief's [presumed] high Dexterity.
Features: Skill Mastery +1 to any/all skill [including untrained] rolls, Stealth +2, Climbing/Footing +2, Search +2, Sleight of Hand +2, Disarm Device +2, Sneak Attack +2 against base AC, +5 extra damage every other level, Bonus Language: Thieves' cant...and it should be noted, that with their Skill Mastery bonus, all of their "Thieves Abilities"/built-in class skills are made +3 ["Expert" level] from the get go, without even spending any SPs.

I'm really not sure how I feel about offering human ethnicities actual individual benefits beyond their Human traits. I'll have to think on that some more...of the kinds of things you suggested. It is an intriguing way to go I had not considered (all bogged down in the crunchy bits of trying to make humans different but the same/balancing them with other races). For now, assume whichever you decide is not going to "get" you anything more than I've said.

I guess that's plenty more info than you needed at the moment. hahaha. Sorry. Let me know what you might want to know next.
You have abilities and a Race. Select an ethnicity (or we can just default to Freelander, if you want). Choose a Class and then we'll get into specifics with which Themes are open to you and what they entail.

Skills after that. Weapons, Armor & Equipment will be last. Be advised it is a significantly simplified list to many D&D editions. WoO's beginner set introduces only 9 armor types and 20 weapon choices.

Binder Fred

John the dead, AKA No-Shadow John, AKA Bet-It-All Johnny

I'm thinking

STR 14 +1
DEX 16 +1
CON 15
INT 9
WIS 9
CHA 14

Eyes: Brown
Hair: Was brown, now slate grey. Cut short, sideburns.
Skin: Pale. (As the child of a farmer, he takes it as a point of pride. :))
Build: Average
Distinguishing marks: no shadow

A thief with downplayed/abscent lockpicking skills (more likely to bash-in the door or window). May swap STR and DEX, depending what each does to his fighting (I'm seeing him as primarely hand to hand, but with the armor restrictions on thief I figure he'll need the extra DEX for defense). Then 1 SP in Athletics and a "Fighter-y" theme, please. What are his options and the advantages/drawbacks of each?

For the "Fae sensitivities" thing, I'm now thinking of making it pretty subtle/uncontrolled at first level, and then maybe building up on it later? So illusion and charm powers are likely too much this early on... How about he takes his other SP and spends it on Planar Knowledge and takes Fae as a language (representing things that he just *knows*/feels/pop into his head without being able to explain how)? He could then take one of the psychic/magical themes when he gets to choose one again (level 3 for Thieves if I read that right?), representing his growing mastery of his new nature?

Weapons, Armor & Equipment will be last. Be advised it is a significantly simplified list to many D&D editions. WoO's beginner set introduces only 9 armor types and 20 weapon choices.
What are your thoughts on re-skinning weapons? I'm seeing him a dual short-sword wielder, but I generally dislike the two-handed mechanics of D&D (don't know what you've done with them?). I'm proposing his double short swords be bought and treated like a bastard sword, i.e same cost, number of attacks, damage, hand requirement etc, as a bastard sword. It just happens to look like a set of short sword for stylistic reasons. :) Thoughts?

EDIT = Oh, by the way I'll be in the field for ten days starting monday. I'll still have internet access, but my posting might get a bit more erratic, let us say (it's a busy time).

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I'm thinking

STR 14 +1 [so, 15 giving +2 modifer]
DEX 16 +1 [17 giving +4 mod]
CON 15 [+2]
INT 9
WIS 9
CHA 14 [+1]

Eyes: Brown
Hair: Was brown, now slate grey. Cut short, sideburns.
Skin: Pale. (As the child of a farmer, he takes it as a point of pride. :))
Build: Average
Distinguishing marks: no shadow

"No shadow"? Interesting. Ok.

A thief with downplayed/abscent lockpicking skills (more likely to bash-in the door or window).

Well, if you're going to be a thief character, then you'll still be/get +2 for lockpicking via "Disarm Device", but no one's gonna put a gun to your head and make you use it if you'd rather do "breaking and entering." :)

May swap STR and DEX, depending what each does to his fighting (I'm seeing him as primarily hand to hand, but with the armor restrictions on thief I figure he'll need the extra DEX for defense).

Ah. Yes, well I guess it could go either way. However you like it. As it stands, ability modifiers are as follows, per "Steel Dragon's World of Orea Adventurer's Player Handbook":
The Ability Modifier should be applied to any of the following situations unless the DM tells you otherwise.
Str: Apply your modifier to any To Hit [TH] roll with a melee weapon; To any Damage [dmg] Roll with a melee weapon; To rolls for physically demanding or reliant activities such as climbing, swimming, knocking down doors and skills such as Athletics.

Con:
Apply this modifier to your starting Hit Points [HP] and to your HP rolls at every level; To rolls for activities requiring or reliant on a PC’s fortitude such as resisting poisons, overcoming disease, certain magics that afflict the body, and skills such as Endurance or Survival.

Dex:
Apply this modifier to any To Hit rolls with a ranged weapon; To your Armor Class [AC]; To any roll for activities requiring reflexes, balance or speed and skills such as Acrobatics or Sleight of Hand.

Int:
 Apply this modifier to your starting Skill Points [SP]. This modifier is the maximum number of additional languages your PC can learn. Add this modifier to your spell levels per day if you are a Wizard class (as explained in the PC Class section). To any activities demanding or reliant on Intelligence such as figuring out a puzzle or riddle, resisting certain spells and skills such as Lore or Appraisal.

Wis: 
Apply this modifier to any rolls involving willpower, enlightenment or the spirit. Add this modifier to your spell levels per day if you are a Priest class (as explained in the PC Class section); To activities such as disbelieving an illusion, resisting charms or other mind-effecting magic and skills such as Insight.

Cha:
Apply this modifier to any rolls involving character interactions. A Bard PC may add this modifier to their spell levels for the day (as explained in the PC Class section). To activities reliant on personality, poise, and general “likeableness” and skills such as Leadership, Gather Information, and Diplomacy.

Then 1 SP in Athletics and a "Fighter-y" theme, please. What are his options and the advantages/drawbacks of each?

Right then...Themes...and yes, you're next Theme/rank as a Thief would be at 3rd level. Then at 6th, 9th, 12th, etc...

From the General Theme list:Arcane Dabbler
Assassin
Beastmaster
Berserker
Bounty Hunter
Disciple of X
Monk
Professional
Warden
Warlord

To save some space, how 'bout I just give you the "Fightery" themes, as requiested, including the specifically mentioned "Dual-wielder."

Assassin:The PC has training and experience in killing targets, preferably unnoticed and probably for some kind of compensation: +1 per rank in Stealth, Sleight of Hand and Lore: Poison; +1 per rank to saves versus poison; “Garrote Attack”: +1 to hit (per rank) with a garrote or similar ligature on a creature up to 1 size category larger than themselves. A successful hit indicates the target is immobilized, from behind, and being choked. [The target is allowed an opposing Strength check each round to break the assassin’s hold, modifiers may apply.] If the hold is not broken after 3 rounds, the target looses consciousness.

Berserker: unlike other Themes, the Berserker is something that must be chosen at 1st level. Instead of growing more features, you are basically taking on as many drawbacks as bonuses.

The Berserker is overcome by a frenzy of battle rage and pure ferocity. Seen as a blessing of totem spirits by some, a curse or affliction by others, it cannot be denied the raging Berserker is nearly unstoppable on the battlefield. The “Rage” can be called up 1 per level + Con. modifier times in as many days. The duration of the near-mindless frenzy is also the character’s level + Con. modifier. In order to stop a Rage before the duration is spent, the PC must make a successful Wisdom roll, with -1 penalty for each round they’ve been berserk, to reassert their conscious will over their mind. This “come to your senses” check may be attempted only once. Failure means the character continues to rage unabated to the full duration.
~ +1 per rank to hit, automatic maximum weapon + double Strength mod damage
~ Frenzied Strikes: the Berserker makes 1 extra attack per round than they normally would be allowed while berserk.
~ Charm Immunity: The berserking PC is not “in their right mind.” Enchantments and other mind-effecting or altering magics or powers are simply unable to “touch” the PC’s mind. Also, if the PC is charmed before they go berserk, that magic is broken/dispelled when they come out of the rage.
~ Damage Resistance: while in their rage the PC temporarily takes half any actual damage. When the rage passes, the full damage of their wounds is deducted from the PC’s hit points and may be healed normally.

The Berserker also suffers the following penalties while raging:
~ Berserking negates any “to hit” bonuses due to abilities, skills or other specialties (such as a Fighter’s Combat Mastery, Strength or Dexterity bonus, Weapon Specialist theme, etc...). They do receive the +1 per rank to hit from this theme. External attack bonuses (from a Bless spell or magic weapon, for example) still apply.
~ A Berserking character will only use melee weapons or attack unarmed. A Berserking PC is unable to focus or concentrate (as needed to aim) enough to use any missile weapon (though would probably try to crack someone over the head with a bow if that was what they had in their hands at the time).
~ Following a rage, whether ended by will or natural duration, the Berserker is exhausted and their Strength and Constitution bonuses are reduced to 0 for a number of rounds equal to the rounds they spent berserking. i.e. They severely need to take a rest.
~ If not obvious, a berserking PC is unable to cast spells, use psychic powers or otherwise use/activate magical items at all while berserking (other than “automatic” items like weapons or armor that do not require any actual will or effort to "turn on").
~ “Kill them ALL!”: while the Berserker is able to direct their attacks at the beginning of their rage, distinguishing and attacking their enemies (as, presumably, intended). If no enemies remain before the end of the rage, the Berserker turns on their allies. The Berserker is allowed an additional Wisdom roll to shock themselves out of the rage before striking a friend. If failed, they cannot again attempt to stop their rage before its full duration.

[yeah, figuring out how to incorporate Berserking/Raging without "anyone can be a Barbarian class" has been a pain in the ass!]

Bounty Hunter: The PC has training and experience tracking and/or hunting down and capturing targets (“dead or alive”), usually for some form of compensation (the bounty). +1 per rank to Tracking, Disarm[& Set] Device and Stealth.
~ Beginning at the first rank and for each rank after, the Bounty Hunter can choose 1 “target” per day. The Bounty Hunter is +1 to hit and all saves per rank against a named target.
~ “Subdue”: The Bounty Hunter needs to capture their target alive at least as often (if not moreso) than dead. The PC applies the full damage of their attacks as "non-lethal" damage. When reduced to 1/2 their total HP and every successful attack thereafter, the target must roll to beat DC 10 + 1 per rank of the Bounty Hunter or fall unconscious from the attack. If these save rolls are successful the target remains conscious until, as normal, they reach 0 HP by this “subdual damage” and fall unconscious at that point. They can then be bound, moved or slain without issue.

Warlord: The theme indicates the PC has training and experience leading and rallying troops in combat. The Warlord receives the following benefits and abilities: +1 per rank with the Combat Sense skill and their attack rolls with melee weapons, regardless of strength, Combat Mastery or any other “to hit” adjustments.
~ Beginning at 1 rank and for each rank thereafter, the Warlord’s expertise effectively “lends” their Combat Sense and “to hit” adjustment to all allies within 10’ per rank of the Warlord.
~ At 3 ranks: The Warlord gains a +1 to save rolls against fear, confusion, and other emotion-altering effects and magics. This bonus goes up 1 per additional rank. The bonus is shared to all allies within 10’ +10’ per additional rank of the Warlord.
~ At 5 ranks the Warlord has and offers to all allies within a 50’ radius: +5 Combat Sense, +5 to attack rolls with melee weapons; those within 30’ radius also receive: +3 vs. fear, confusion and similar mind-altering effects; and once per day can rouse an “Inspired Charge” [10 temporary HP] from all allies within 50’.

From the Rogue Theme list:
Acrobat
Con-artist
Scout
Spy
Thrown-Weapon Expert
Trickster
and available to the Rogue classes from the Warrior Theme list: Archer, Brawler, Dual-Wielder, and Skirmisher

Dual-wielder
: The Dual-wielder has trained heavily to be able to attack with one single-handed weapon in each hand. This allows the fighter to attack twice per round, parry and block attacks with greater than normal effectiveness. The Dual-Wielder style confers the following bonuses and abilities:
~ Unlike other Warrior Themes, the Dual Wielder does not begin with a +1 bonus, but is simply able to use two weapons without penalty. A second rank placed in Dual-wielding will allow a +1 bonus to hit with 1 weapon per round. A third rank allows them to strike +1 with each weapon or +2 with a single attack, and so on to the maximum of 5 ranks in a single theme. Note also that the Fighter’s Strength bonus damage is only applicable to one strike per round.
Choose one [per rank] of the following maneuvers with each rank: Deadly Attack, Disarm, Double-edged, Parry, Whirlwind Attack.

Skirmisher: The Skirmisher specialist uses movement and speed to augment their combat effectiveness. Being able to identify weak spots and strike swiftly are the hallmarks of this fighting style. The Skirmisher style confers the following bonuses and abilities:
~ +1 to attack rolls with any missile, thrown or single-handed weapons with which the Fighter is proficient.
Choose one [per rank] of the following maneuvers with each rank: Bash, Hit & Run, Parry, Quick Mount, Rapid Strike.

The only truly "combat-oriented" Rogue Theme would be Thrown Weapon Expert or Acrobat (who gets a dodge/evasion type trick and some attack bonus, I think). Though I don't really hear a whole lot of desire of an Acrobatic sort from your descriptions. haha.

From the sounds of wanting a more direct "fightery" rogue, I think Skirmisher gives you more flexibility and weapons options than just Thrown Weapons. However, you've specifically stated you want a dual-wielder, so that would seem to be your 1st pick unless something else strikes your fancy.

By all means if you want details on any other of the lsited themes, feel free to ask!

For the "Fae sensitivities" thing, I'm now thinking of making it pretty subtle/uncontrolled at first level, and then maybe building up on it later? So illusion and charm powers are likely too much this early on... How about he takes his other SP and spends it on Planar Knowledge and takes Fae as a language (representing things that he just *knows*/feels/pop into his head without being able to explain how)? He could then take one of the psychic/magical themes when he gets to choose one again (level 3 for Thieves if I read that right?), representing his growing mastery of his new nature?

Certainly one way to do it. Makes sense.

What are your thoughts on re-skinning weapons?

I don't believe I have any. What are your thoughts?

I'm seeing him a dual short-sword wielder, but I generally dislike the two-handed mechanics of D&D (don't know what you've done with them?). I'm proposing his double short swords be bought and treated like a bastard sword, i.e same cost, number of attacks, damage, hand requirement etc, as a bastard sword. It just happens to look like a set of short sword for stylistic reasons. :) Thoughts?

Ah. No, I don't think I'd go along with that. Sorry. That is also a purely personal DMing stance. Not something written into the system, mind. Though the fact that there is no "bastard sword" in the beginner set might also complicate this. Short, Long, or 2-handed are your "sword" options. Well, or "Scimitar" if you want that style of blade.

...the system has not incorporated qualities like "finesse" or "heavy" for weapons...hmmm...

But yeah, sorry. If you are wielding two short swords, then you buy 2 short swords. Your damage is as per 2 short swords. Your abilitiy to use two short swords, without penalty, in the first place, is granted by your Dual-Wielder theme and "to hit" rolls are assisted by the theme (as detailed above) + whatever other attack bonuses you have.

EDIT = Oh, by the way I'll be in the field for ten days starting monday. I'll still have internet access, but my posting might get a bit more erratic, let us say (it's a busy time).
No worries, Fred. We're not on a time table, at the moment.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases