Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition withdrawn from sale over “contractual issues”

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition withdrawn from sale over “contractual issues”

Hey what?

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, the attempted restoration of BioWare’s classic RPG, has been removed from sale by developer Overhaul Games in light of contractual issues with the game’s publishing partners. A statement by Beamdog/Overhaul president Trent Oster explains the situation – albeit in the vague manner of someone staring at a heavy pile of legal documents.

“We recently removed Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition from sale on Beamdog and the Apple App Store. We’ve taken this step at our publishing partner’s request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues.”

Oster goes on to say that, until the “complex legal matters” have been resolved, the developer is unable to release the planned next patch to the game. It would have brought an updated user interface, “enormous performance improvements”, enhancements and a new font system.

Perhaps more troublingly, the issues are also blocking Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition. While BG:EE struck me as slightly less enhanced than a properly modded version of the original, BG2:EE was shaping up to be a more dramatic revision – already boasting 350,000 words of additional content.

Strangely, you can still pick BG:EE up from Steam. Whether it’s due to be taken down is unclear, but the Steam release was handled by Atari instead of Beamdog, and so received no direct support.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/20/b...-withdrawn-from-sale-over-contractual-issues/

Janx

Hero
I'll have to check with my wife, she has it on her iPad to see if it still works. I'd be curious if Apple can force a removal of a purchased product.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've seen a note at one of the sites (Baldur's Gate or Beamdog) that purchased copies out there will still work fine. It's just they can't sell any more copies (or presumably update the ones out there) without resolving the dispute in a way that allows them to do so.

I'd love to know what the dispute is.

SteelDraco

First Post
Dang, that stinks. I was waiting to pick it up on my Android tablet, now it looks like I'll be waiting even longer. I hope they continue working on the Android version while they're resolving this dispute.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Trent has also ID'd Atari as the partner who had the game pulled.

There's been a lot of speculation that this was done as part of their bankruptcy case.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Oddly enough Steam just had a sale on for it earlier this week. One of those midweek maddness sales, hopefully the Summer Steam sale will be starting soon.
And yup, it's still available for purchase there..

Remove ads