Skynet reached the International Space Station

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Well, his little cousin Stuxnet did. It also infected a Russian nuclear power plant. Apparently an infected USB key was brought from Earth by an cosmonaut. No details on what it did (boooo!).

Not being connected to the interwebz is not sufficiant protection from viruses it would seem.

That's why a lot of employers refuse to allow outside USB drives to be used in gear that touches their network or insist upon scanning them first. It's amazing to me that a friggin' space program wouldn't think about that. Er, I guess the naut coulda just broke some roolz, though.

Janx

Hero
That's why a lot of employers refuse to allow outside USB drives to be used in gear that touches their network or insist upon scanning them first. It's amazing to me that a friggin' space program wouldn't think about that. Er, I guess the naut coulda just broke some roolz, though.

I would assume so. Plus, it was a russian, launching from russia. different protocols involved. NASA probably has limited say in how security is implemented/enforced on non-NASA people.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I would assume so. Plus, it was a russian, launching from russia. different protocols involved. NASA probably has limited say in how security is implemented/enforced on non-NASA people.

Yeah but you'd think the Russians - or anyone else with tech on the level of space flight - would have similar protocol. That's what makes me think he broke a rule or just wasn't aware of it.

Janx

Hero
Yeah but you'd think the Russians - or anyone else with tech on the level of space flight - would have similar protocol. That's what makes me think he broke a rule or just wasn't aware of it.

More likely he broke a rule (probably accidentally)

But I don't dismiss the possibility that the russians do not run as tight a ship.

I would have thought every item that goes into the launch capsule would be checked, so the astronauts would start naked in a staging chamber, and everything allowed to be carried/worn in would be vetted.

Apparently not.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
More likely he broke a rule (probably accidentally)

But I don't dismiss the possibility that the russians do not run as tight a ship.

I would have thought every item that goes into the launch capsule would be checked, so the astronauts would start naked in a staging chamber, and everything allowed to be carried/worn in would be vetted.

Apparently not.

I don't think they'd go that far but I don't see checking a device that could interface with the station's systems that far outside the realm of normal. Of course, we're probably right that he just forgot or something. I mean, checking stuff like that is common practice and incredibly basic stuff from the security perspective so I think the Russians have some procedure or rule in place. Odds are dood just forgot.

Really, it's an important reminder for everybody: Don't trust unfamiliar devices and don't trust even familiar ones if they've ever left your control.

Remove ads