[December] What are you reading?

delericho

Legend
Is it December already?

I've just finished "Mercy Kill" by Aaron Allston, which was reasonably good. (It's Star Wars EU, so don't expect too much!)

Just started "Dodger" by Pratchett, after which I'll read "The Wine Dark Sea" by Patrick O'Brien, and then "King of Chaos" by Dave Gross. After that, I don't know.

Richards

Legend
I just finished Hemingway's Chair, by Michael Palin (of Monty Python fame). I expected outrageous comedy, and got instead a quiet character study of the effects of modernization of the local Post Office to the residents of a small town in England. Still, it was a good read.

Johnathan

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I'm re-reading the Elric series by one of the most unfortunately named authors of all time.

Part of the reason for doing so is I feel like a change from D&D for a while and Elric! the RPG (the Chaosium version with the exclamation mark) is calling my name and this seems like a good way to prepare for running adventures in the Young Kingdoms.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Started rereading Gaiman's "American Gods" a day or two ago. Wow, I didn't remember any of the details!

Finished "Rose Under Fire" by Wein last week; very good teen adventure set during WWII. A follow up to the Verity Code, which was better, but not by much.

Nellisir

Hero
Started rereading Gaiman's "American Gods" a day or two ago. Wow, I didn't remember any of the details!

I think I've read this book more than any other for exactly that reason. I forget almost all of it within two weeks. After four or five readings, I can remember that gods are involved, and some guy with a hammer. :/

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I recently picked up Peter F. Hamilton's "The Dreaming Void" from the library. Hamilton has some interesting ideas about the development of humanity and its societies after the situation of the Commonwealth saga, but the writing is too sedate for my (current) tastes. The gap between chapters on some persons is just too large; I don't get attached to anyone of them.

Nellisir

Hero
Finally finished Nemesis. After all that misdirection and roundaboutedness, it finally circled back to the beginning. In The Boy In The Suitcase (3/5), I think the authors should have moved some exposition to the beginning of the book. Here, it should have been moved to the end. I wasn't really surprised. I'll try another Jo Nesbo book, but I'm not sold on them. 3/5.

NOt sure what I'll read next. It'd be nice to finish another book I've already started, which means it'll probably be Worldmakers, an anthology about terraforming & etc edited by Gardner Dozois; The Absent One, by Jussi Adler-Olsen; or Bridget Jones - Edge of Reason, by Helen Fielding. And before you say anything, the first one was brilliant and hilarious (5/5). This one, not so much.

I read a few pages of The Life of Elizabeth I, by Alison Weir as well, but that's really the third book, after The Six Wives of Henry VIII, and The Children of Henry VIII, so I'd like to read those first. Should go nicely with Wolf Hall (5/5) and Bring Up The Bodies.

Remove ads