{Vampire: The Masquerade - OOC} New York by Night

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I guess it depends on what you are talking about. I hate hack & slash Vampire games.

I don't have any interest in playing in a game of vampiric special forces or anything like that.

My character would be focused on control of his domain, increase in power and domain, and manipulating others to meet those goals.

As long as those types of things can play a part, I'd be happy.

Could you give me an example of what you are reffering to as cinematic?

Would the game be more like Interview with the Vampire, Blade or The Lost Boys?

I tend to shy away from the "Blade" type games. I prefer focusing on politics and intrigue over guns and fangs. In retrospect, the style and atmosphere of the vampires in Blade was pretty dang good. It was just Blade himself that I didn't like.

It was cool how they pulled off the whole "underground society / all you believe is wrong" thing.

I am betting that the Storyteller will have most of his work done for him by the players. If the players have set goals and personalities for their characters, they should be able to handle driving the plot by themselves and not be force fed it like so many D&D games.

"Find the magic item" or "kill the big bad evil guy" are (IMHO) horrible concepts for Vampire games.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I was just thinking...

I've never read much of either the Giovanni Chronicals or the Transylvania Chronicals.

I'd think playing through the Transylvania Chronicals would be pretty dang cool.

We could just use the rules from Vampire: The Masquerade instead of Dark Ages so that everyone wouldn't have to have both books. Should work fine.

Its just a thought though. If we have a Storyteller with his own plot, thats cool too.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Hack 'n Slash V:TM?

*shudder*

I played in that kinda game once and... well... worst game of my life (and that includes a bunch of real stinkers).

I'm thinking less Anne Rice, more Mike Mignolia.

And no, no special forces.

perivas

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
My character would be focused on control of his domain, increase in power and domain, and manipulating others to meet those goals.

As long as those types of things can play a part, I'd be happy.

(SNIP)

"Find the magic item" or "kill the big bad evil guy" are (IMHO) horrible concepts for Vampire games.

That's interesting...as your first statements would indicate that you would be a powerful enough vampire to claim a domain. Considering there are so many people, who are complete newbies in the game, it might be more appropriate to run a game which includes the Embrace and plays off the lack of player knowledge of the Kindred and their Lexicon and Traditions.

As for your second comment, sometimes the Jyhad involves just that...the recovery of lost artifacts or the slaying of rogue Childe.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
You're right. I was assuming we even had domains, but if we are fledglings, we wouldn't. Guess it depends on how old we will be starting out at. I have no problem with a fledgling game. New York by Night would be wonderful for this.

After all, the Camarilla resorted to mass embraces during their raid on the city, we could be a cotorie created like that. They were created and then pretty much left to fend for themselves. I'd think they would be considred bastard children and their sires wouldn't want a lot to do with them. Perfect.

New York is also nearly devoid of a hierarchy and is ripe for young vampires to make a place for themselves.

As far as lost artifacts and rogue childer go, sure that happens, but it doesn't fit well into the typical Vampire game. Hunting rogues is the job for the Sherrifs and Scourges, or if that doesn't work, the Prince just calls a blood hunt and then everyone is after them.

Hunting artifacts isn't a real big deal since magical items and weapons are so rare as to be almost nonexistant.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I'm sorry but...

...I might have to back out.

After looking over my post-christmas vacation schedule, I'm not sure I have the time and thinking power to juggle three PbP games, school and work at the same time so...

Hope you find someone else.

reapersaurus

First Post
mastermind:
very sorry to hear you back out, but I'll post my thoughts anyway:

I have absolutely no preconceptions or "I won't do this" or "I don't want to do that" when it comes to V:tM.

Anything that a Storyteller feels they want to give a go to, I will try and work my character in.

I'm not that experienced in WoD, so I'd prefer a more "basic" type campaign.
No huge background or involvement with the leaders of the clans and all that back-history.

IMO, it becomes harder and harder to play V:tM the more of that history is brought in - it becomes a straightjacket almost to just playing a coterie of vampires...

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I agree with Reaper.

Antidiluvians (clan founders) have no place even in the casual conversation of fledglings. At the most they are used as boogy-men.

Heck, most wouldn't even know their founder's names.

A lot (most) of the back history isn't known to most vampires. I think the fact that it is all laid out in the books makes many Stortellers assume that the NPCs and other characters know all this as well.

They don't.

I'd bet maybe 5% of the Vampire population knows that Ravnos was killed and that is a MAJOR event. After all, it ain't like they have their own news channel.

As far as most fledglings know, the Tremere have always been there. The Sabbat are all satanists. The Antidiluvians aren't real. The Salubri dont exist or they have never heard of them. They have never heard of the Cappadocians. Like the Tremere, the Giovanni have always been there. There are only 7 or 8 clans. .etc.etc.etc.

Ignorance is bliss. :cool:

Remove ads