[LPF] Evil Unto Evil

Systole

First Post
"So you're here about Daug and Walder." Gemma takes out a pipe and lights it, then puffs on it for a short time while she studies you. After a long moment, she seems to reach a decision. "Lyssanrda, come here a moment, would you?" she calls to a passing fisherwoman. She inclines her head to Harry, "Take this one over to Keller's stall. Tell them to wrap up a parcel of dried eels for him. And make sure it's wrapped good and well." The woman nods and guides Harry over to a stall that you can't help but notice is on the far side of the market.

Once Harry is out of earshot, Gemma turns back to you. "You work for them, but you're not or t'other," she says. "I'll say what I know, but I'll have your oath that if Daug and Walder got into something wicked, that those uptown don't find out. The rest of us don't want any truck with their dealings." After you agree, she continues.

"Daug, rest his soul, he wasn't a good fisherman. He was a good man and he tried hard, but with his new wife and child, money was tight. Walder was his cousin, and they was close. One night about two months ago, Daug told his wife he'd got some business that was going to set them up good for money, and that he'd be back come morning. 'Cept, of course, he wasn't back come morning, and Walder was missing too. Found Daug's boat on the jetty rocks, though. Smelled like death.

"Later on that day, the bodies washed up. Drowned."
She puffs on her pipe. "Drowned maybe. They had rope burns all around like what happens when you get caught in a net, but there weren't no net." She shakes her head. "Seen plenty of men get tangled in a net and drown. Never seen 'em get free after. And where they washed up ... it's a spring tide. The only place they would have come from was the reef. Ain't no fish out by the reef. Not that reef anyways. It's a bad place."

Gemma looks at you. "So that's the thing. Daug and Walder went out to the reef at night, and came back dead. And after that, the killin' started. Now, Daug and Walder was both good men, and if they woke something, you have my oath it weren't intentional. And if they was victims, I'd see justice done."

BH_150.jpg
fisher2_150.jpg

. . . . Blind Harry . . . . . . Gemma Moressi . .

[sblock=GM]I'm assuming no one will have a problem agreeing to Gemma's terms since you've already decided on not providing your employers with full disclosure anyway. I'm also assuming your oaths will be truthful, because Gemma's Sense Motive is nothing to sneeze at.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Meisr Frau Gemma, Das Reef," Heinrich treads carefully - slowly - respectful of the communities loss, " Why ist das reef bad? It might be important to our seeking of justice for them."

[sblock=ooc] I am working on leveling up H. [/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien was sympathetic and readily agreed. Even if the fishermen were to blame, she was confident that it was unintentional. And they already paid the price in that case. She was no stranger to making mistakes in judgment either; a certain pissed off dragonne was likely still holding a grudge after been killed by her.

“Hmm, even if they disturbed something evil and nasty out at the reef blaming them for it now would do no one any good. They are likely victims and we can avenge them if possible.”

“Would Daug’s wife know more about this business that he mentioned? Perhaps that would explain why they were out at the reef.”

The archeress was beginning to foresee a trip out on the water in a small boat. The idea was not welcome.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 72 Current: 69
CMB: +10 CMD: 29(22ff) Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/3 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos nods without hesitation at Gemma's conditions. "Mine is the Lady of Secrets. I know how to keep them, and won't be any cause to share this one."

He listens attentively, and again nods. "Not met a man yet would wake up something that would kill him and threaten his kin on purpose," he agrees with Gemma. "Not here to go blaming victims, either. Like the lady says," here he just his jaw briefly in Tyrien's direction, "Hopefully we can pay back whatever might have killed them in kind."

Eanos makes a quick check to make sure Harry's still occupied, though he suspects the canny old man knows exactly why he's been offered eel, and is smart enough to keep himself busy. Once he's sure, though, he gestures to his companions.

"Theirs are the questions I'd have asked, as well. Sounds like this reef has a reputation all its own, yes? And while he may not have given her specifics, Daug's wife might have noticed something important that could help us find who hired him. If you can arrange a meeting, we'd be grateful.

Now that I think on it, though, is the boat still around? Been a while, but maybe we get lucky and find something aboard that tells us something, too."

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF, 25 w/Prot Evil)
HP:68 Current: 61
Senses: Perception 19 (23 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 22/26
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +6 (+8 w/ purity, +9 w/ Prot evil)
Reflex: +9 (+10 w/ purity, +11 w/ Prot evil)
Will: +10 (+12 w/ purity, +13 w/ Prot evil)
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound

Conditions:
* Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed)
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)

In Hand: None (evidence)

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +13/+08 = [BAB (06/01)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +09/+04 = [BAB (06/01) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-2 attack, +4 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim
Many Shot: 1st attack of Full attack uses 2 arrows for damage on a hit.

Arrows: 24/31
Blunt Arrows: 16/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 23/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 10/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 1/3 Remaining
Determination: 3/4 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 3/6 remaining
Bane: 4/9 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 7/9 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 75'/90' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (2/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (4/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Invisibility Purge, Prayer

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Gemma shakes her head when asked if the widow would be available for questioning. "Poor woman's been through hell, and Daug was too damned proud to tell her how the money was supposed to come. So I'd rather you didn't." She puffs on her pipe. "I weren't going to mention it, but she did confide to me a week or so before they went lost. Said she smelled perfume on Daug one night when he come home late."

She nods at Eanos. "Boat's still beached on the jetty, if you want to look. At first, no one wanted to use it on account of the smell, and now there's some that says the boat's cursed. We asked the priest come say a prayer over it, but he's been busy with the problems uptown ... so he says, anyway. I expect the real reason is that he wets his robes at the thought of going outside, what with the killer roaming around at large and all."

BH_150.jpg
fisher2_150.jpg

GM: You're welcome to push to meet the widow if you want, but it'll require a decent Diplomacy check, and it might risk Gemma getting protective if you blow it.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien was puzzled.

“Perfume, you say? That sounds passing odd if that’s related to his business opportunity.”

“As much as I would like to respect the grieving widow, she must surely had her suspicions about Daug’s activities. Even if he did not say, I would expect her guesses on what she thought it might be and what it was certain the business to not be to be revealing.”

“But if you feel confident that you would know as well as she, then I reckon we would have to accept that.”

Diplomacy Aid Another (1d20+1=4)
[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 72 Current: 69
CMB: +10 CMD: 29(22ff) Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/3 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos keeps his own reaction neutral at the mention of perfume, filing it next to the scent from the cemetary in his mental collection. His flinch is minimal as Tyrien seems to misstep slightly in her own use of the information, the ginger woodsman stepping in quickly to recover.

"Lost loved ones, myself, so I understand your lady's grief," Eanos says with all sincerity. "Don't know about Daug's wife, but I know found my own solace in hunting down the souls who killed those I loved. If we're right, might be good for her piece of mind to do the same. You think it's too much for her, of course, we'll make due with just the boat and give you our own earnest thanks for what you've given."

[sblock=ooc]"misstep" above was just meant to be fluff for Tyrien's Aid result.

Okay, I think this may be exactly what he got before. I suspect it won't get us a meeting, but hopefully isn't so bad it turns the fishwife against us:

Diplomacy w/ Silver Tongue (1d20+17=27) [/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF, 25 w/Prot Evil)
HP:68 Current: 61
Senses: Perception 19 (23 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 22/26
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +6 (+8 w/ purity, +9 w/ Prot evil)
Reflex: +9 (+10 w/ purity, +11 w/ Prot evil)
Will: +10 (+12 w/ purity, +13 w/ Prot evil)
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound

Conditions:
* Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed)
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)

In Hand: None (evidence)

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +13/+08 = [BAB (06/01)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +09/+04 = [BAB (06/01) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-2 attack, +4 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim
Many Shot: 1st attack of Full attack uses 2 arrows for damage on a hit.

Arrows: 24/31
Blunt Arrows: 16/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 23/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 10/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 1/3 Remaining
Determination: 3/4 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 2/6 remaining
Bane: 4/9 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 7/9 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 75'/90' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (2/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (4/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Invisibility Purge, Prayer

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Gemma puffs on her pipe, considering. "I'll talk to her tonight. If you've got questions you're still desperate to ask on the morrow, mayhap we'll consider a bit of palaver. The boat I can show you." She motions to the young woman leading Harry around and nods toward another stall. The young woman nods and obediently begins shuttling the old beggar over to another stall, presumably for another helping of dried goods. Then Gemma sets off at a rather brisk pace for a woman of her age, apparently expecting you to follow.

After a minute or two of walking, you arrive at the jetty. Pulled up beyond the high tide line is a fairly large rowboat, perhaps about 18 feet in length. "Help me with this," Gemma says to Eanos. With his assistance (although less assistance than he might have suspected), he and the fisherwoman turn the boat over. Eanos' enhanced nose wrinkles: he can smell that same seawater-and-rot smell, but it's quite strong here, even though the boat has been out in the elements for the past two months.

The design of the boat is for versatility, with oarlocks (for either one or two oarsmen) and some struts amidships that could hold a modest sail. The boat is also set up in such a way that the aft could be used to hold fishing nets, crab traps, or removable seating. At present, the removable seats are in place.

BH_150.jpg
fisher2_150.jpg

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Heinrich immediately puts his skills in action, ever looking for clues he gazes about the row boat with his natural eyes and his magic sight.

Detect Magic

Perception:
1d20+11=23
Spellcraft:
1d20+19=33

Remove ads