Original Star Wars actors to take center stage in new movie

DS9 is sort of a rogue series. On the outskirts of the quadrant you can't always play by Starfleet's rules. And so they don't. My favorite episode sees the Starfleet captain in charge of the region start a war between the Dominion and the Romulans so that the Federation isn't wiped out. It's done as a Captain's Log entry that he deletes. It's a confession but in it he admits that he doesn't really care that what he did was wrong. Sort of the anti-Picard in that respect. Anyhoo, it's by far my favorite and I'm a fan of every Star Trek series made - Original Series, NG and DS9.

And Sisko punched Q!

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I started watching TOS again for the first time after 20 years, and was surprisingly entertained (The "complete" versions of the episodes plus the clean-up and CGI added in make them seem brand new). In fact, I enjoyed TOS more than I did any of the 90s shows. The last good Trek movie was 6, which was an OK send-off/capstone). For all it's flaws, Wrath of Kahn still holds up amazingly well.
Did JJA bring trek back? Well, yes. Did he do it well? Meh. Number One mistake: Kurtzman and Orci writing team.
As for casting, Bones was the only character that they got right. Not only that, they had a decent explanation and update for the nick-name. Everything else--wrong. From start to finish, wrong. Completely and utterly wrong. The only way it can be enjoyable is if you are able to completely turn off your brain and not think about the movie at all. The second you start to think, JJA Trek falls apart.

Next Gen: OK, but lacked any sense of exploring. There was no frontier: it was Trek the Minivan Generation
DS9: everyone kept telling me it was as good as Babylon5. After 3 seasons, I gave up. Most of it was just awful
Voyager: well, they were exploring all new territory, but no one in that quadrant can figure out how to harvest comets for water? And a ship full of explorers whining that they want to go home? Several horrible characters given way too much time.
Enterprise: The good episodes were good. The bad episodes were painful. Way too hit-or-miss with script quality. Season 3 was horrid. Changed theme song was even worse.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
Voyager: ... And a ship full of explorers whining that they want to go home?

Most of Voyager is awful, but this is actually quite realistic. It's one thing to go exploring when you're expecting it and when you can (at least in theory) turn around and go home at any time. The moment you get wrenched away from the expected and find you cannot go home, that's another thing.

Last edited:

Most of Voyager is awful, but this is actually quite realistic. It's one thing to go exploring when you're expecting it and when you can (at least in theory) turn around and go home at any time. The moment you get wrenched away from the expected and find you cannot go home, that's another thing.

ST Voyager and SG Universe both had this in spades.

I hate that people who are on a space ship/alien planet think they are not supposed to be the ones out there. If you really think about it they are the teams best trained for these missions.

Then again Voyager also had a problem with consistant writing... day 1 follow prime directive means can't go home... so they do day 2 follow prime directive means they would get home if they follow it... so throw it out and break the rules to screw yourself...

delericho

Legend
I hate that people who are on a space ship/alien planet think they are not supposed to be the ones out there. If you really think about it they are the teams best trained for these missions.

Sure, but in both series the crews were cast adrift without proper preparation and with parts of their team missing - in ST:V they'd lost their doctor and chief engineer, while in SG:U IIRC it was the other guy who was supposed to be leading the mission and they had a whole bunch of unexpected civilians with them.

I agree the whining can certainly get annoying, but I don't think it can be criticised for not being realistic.

Then again Voyager also had a problem with consistant writing... day 1 follow prime directive means can't go home... so they do day 2 follow prime directive means they would get home if they follow it... so throw it out and break the rules to screw yourself...

Indeed. ST:V had a whole lot of potential, but they blew it in so many ways. Sad, really.

I started watching TOS again for the first time after 20 years, and was surprisingly entertained (The "complete" versions of the episodes plus the clean-up and CGI added in make them seem brand new). In fact, I enjoyed TOS more than I did any of the 90s shows.[...]
The second you start to think, JJA Trek falls apart.
You honestly can't expect anyone to take you seriously after that. You realize that, right?

let me do this in reverse
Indeed. ST:V had a whole lot of potential, but they blew it in so many ways. Sad, really
yes I was a kid and looking forward to the show, I used to look forward every week to see it... and even when I found faults I keep saying it would get better...

Sure, but in both series the crews were cast adrift without proper preparation and with parts of their team missing - in ST:V they'd lost their doctor and chief engineer, while in SG:U IIRC it was the other guy who was supposed to be leading the mission and they had a whole bunch of unexpected civilians with them.

I agree the whining can certainly get annoying, but I don't think it can be criticised for not being realistic.
either way it isn't my idea of well working stories...

Personally, i greet this as good news. They certainly could take it in a bad direction, but I like the idea of following the original characters since I think one of the reasons the first trilogy was so succesful was the chemistry they shared. I just hope we are dealing with older, wiser characters with pacing suited to that, rather than attempting to force too many jumps and cartwheels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases