The First Age of Man

Piston Honda

First Post
Seerah nods to Tekai, her face relieved, she and Inguar helped Odywyn back to the fire, but kept her eyes on Palkr and Niraya, while Sheng and Tekai headed off in Raomohr’s direction. Palkr remained curious at her explanation. “You’ve only been doing this deliberately for a few days and…” He hesitated, but mostly seemed to be shifting from one thought to another to another. When he finally spoke again, he once more brought his voice back down “What exactly happened before?”

It was quite easy to find Raomohr’s trail, as he had raced away, snow kicked hard behind long strides. In the distance they heard a retching sound. Keeping an eye out for other trouble, the two could hear sounds in the darkness, the sound of breathing, rapid inhaling through the nose, panicked exhales from the mouth. “Who… who’s there?” The voice of Raomohr trailed through the trees and as Tekai stepped in with his makeshift torch, he could see Raomohr, huddled up against a tree, his face had a look of dread turned to a look of mild relief as he could see who was coming through. Despite his relief, Raomohr nervously began biting his nails. “Are they...are they gone?” He started to get up quickly, though he slunk back down as he quickly as he was up and looked around nervously. Looking at this sight, it became obvious to Tekai and Sheng that he had vomited behind the tree. His eyes met Sheng’s, almost apologetically.

Axel

First Post
"Yes," Tekai replied flatly. He had little time for a man who could forget himself in the face of his fears. Had he - Tekai - not felt the same fear but stood by his tribesmen and others in their hour of need?

"Come, the others are worried for you."

Voda Vosa

First Post
Sheng Shemin

Sheng met the man's gaze with a raised eyebrow. He could understand fear, and there was something in those beasts that bolstered that sensation in one's spirit, so he couldn't be angry at Raomohr, as Tekai seemed to be. With his usual cheerfulness he adds "Yeah, they weren't so tough, Odywyn got the worst of that, but just because he was shaken and scared. Palkr hold his ground pretty well for a man his age. We killed them all, so we should be safe now." he leaned to help Raomohr to his feet.

Shayuri

First Post
"I haven't been doing it a lot," Niraya protested feebly. "This is the first time I've called something to fight for me. I did experiment a bit with calling things on purpose a couple of days ago, but it was just to try it out. Before that, things just sort of...appeared and disappeared around me sometimes, and I didn't know why."

All through it though, she was starting to wonder. Who do I trust more? This man...or whatever Therion is?

"Do you know anything about this?" Niraya asked. "Have you seen anyone who can do this sort of thing before?"

Piston Honda

First Post
“No.” Palkr says, quite curtly. “Not without the runes. I knew a man by the name of Archaelvus, who didn’t need to see runes to use them, he simply knew them. Said he always had. He taught me a few things, and I’ve found a few others out there. But making things appear from nothing, that’s something different.”

[sblock=OOC]Niraya has an inclination that there may be some dishonesty from his quick dismissal.[/sblock]

Raomohr accepts Sheng’s assistance. “Right.” He swallowed and looked around as they started back, avoiding eye contact with Tekai. “Odywyn is ok? I don’t think I’d be able to forgive myself, but I don’t know what happened. When…when they came out, all I remember was Odywyn chanting and then…I saw them…and I couldn’t…I just couldn’t.” Halfway back to the camp, while keeping an eye out, Sheng and Tekai both spot what appears to be three crude circles carved on a tree a little over ten feet up.

Axel

First Post
"These circles Sheng," Tekai said, pointing up, where the shadows of the circles were barely visible in the flickering light, "Don't look like they belong. Help me mark the spot so we can have a better look in the light."

Shayuri

First Post
"I'm a door," Niraya said, more to herself than anyone. Realizing abruptly that she'd said it out loud, she quickly followed up with, "That's how it feels at least. Like I'm just a tent flap hung between..." Niraya waved a hand around. "...this, and something else." She sighed. "I can decide when to open and close now at least."

She looked back at Palkr. "Tell me about the runes. What is using them like?"

Piston Honda

First Post
Sheng and Tekai shined their light on the carvings on the tree, it appeared that plenty of healing had been done, but the image remained visible. Three circles, twelve feet up, they looked diagonally aligned, the center circle being much larger. They were well concealed near branches, but clearly visible to those looking for them. As the pair took a moment to ponder the meaning of it, Sheng noticed a stone that looked a bit unnatural near the base of the tree. It was just a corner peeking out of the snow, but it looked as though there was some attempt to refine the edge.

“Like communion. When you first begin to learn them, for that fraction of a second when you use that power, it is like your mind and reality just slip away. You don’t remember what happened. But as you learn more, and practice, it is as though you are sacrificing a very small piece of yourself to something in exchange for power that you weren’t meant to have. And when you have used that to destroy something, you feel as though you are pleasing whatever grants you that power, like paying a debt. Archaelvus said it was different for him. He said it was completely inherent, but he seemed…off.”

Voda Vosa

First Post
Sheng Shemin

As the warrior helped Tekai to leave a signal so they might find the tree in the morrow, Sheng noticed the strange ston. "Hmm..." he uttered, as he carefully cleans the snow around the stone to take a proper look at it. He didn't answer Tekai, seemingly distracted with the enigma.

Piston Honda

First Post
As Sheng brushes the snow from the stone, he finds that it is fairly smooth, with an intricately carved script on the top and one side, dead center is the same series of circles as on the tree, more detailed with arcs in the empty parts implying a greater circle of the two smaller circles. As he continues to dig away it turns out that this stone is actually a small box. Lifting the lid reveals its contents. Two bone daggers, a small ceramic bottle filled with a liquid, a metal vial filled with liquid, and a stone with a single rune on it.

Remove ads