• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Initial D&D Next Releases Showing Up on Barnes & Noble Website

delericho

Legend
For me, WotC developing a new system from the ground up is enough added to explain the price difference. Paizo had an incredible head start with 3.5, and didn't have to recoup the costs of creating Pathfinder from scratch.

I think there are four reasons Pathfinder is comparitively cheaper than D&D (any version), of which you name one. In addition:

- At the time they were producing Pathfinder, Paizo were still the new kids of the block, and had published zero RPGs. As a result, they had no pre-existing reputation to fall back on, and really needed people to buy into their new game. This probably led to them offering as good a price break as they possibly could. (Of course, if and when Pathfinder 2nd Ed comes along, this will no longer be true. That time will be very interesting, for several reasons.)

- The Pathfinder rulebooks aren't actually the core of Paizo's business; they're support products that are used to drive sales of their adventures (actually, subscriptions to the Adventure Path product). Because of this, it makes sense to offer those rulebooks at as good a price break as possible (and offer a very-low-cost PDF version, and put all the rules material online for free).

I'm a big fan of Paizo - I like the range of products they offer, I like many of their products, and I like the way they do business generally. But it's simplistic to say "Paizo can do it, so WotC can too!" - they're different companies with different approaches and different constraints. What works for one probably wouldn't work for the other, whichever way you choose to do the switch.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I even add that i'm ready to pay more than 50$ if the book does not need 3 errata ...

They always need errata corrected. Save your money and buy the book in 2015 (hopefully) for an errata corrected version.

(Although, IIRC, that would not have worked for 4E, as I don't think they ever had a true 2nd printing other than the $50(?) $75(?) "special edition".)

Obryn

Hero
They always need errata corrected. Save your money and buy the book in 2015 (hopefully) for an errata corrected version.

(Although, IIRC, that would not have worked for 4E, as I don't think they ever had a true 2nd printing other than the $50(?) $75(?) "special edition".)
There were multiple printings, but the errata were not incorporated.

Arduin's

First Post
Well, it looks like the first information has started to leak out to bookstores, as the following products can be found on barnesandnoble.com

releasing July 15, 2014, list price $19.95

releasing August 19, 2014, list price $49.95

That's a pretty pricey Player's Handbook. Not out of line for RPGs nowadays, but if they're sticking with the 3-book model, with all the books priced the same, that could add up awfully quickly.

Both links you gave are dead...

Arduin's

First Post
Yea, somewhere in this thread it's been stated that the links were taken down. I think somewhere someone said it was by WotC request.

That makes sense. I've worked "the channel" before and never saw a SKU posted that far ahead of time. Me thinks that someone screwed up at B&N.

Remove ads