Ruined forever

So, with the recent reboot,remakes etc...and Fan reaction it got me wondering...has a tv show,movie,book series, game or whatever even been "ruined forever" as in you just walk away and never have anything to do with it again?

What was it and how was it "ruined forever" for you?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I haven't touched any of the Star Trek reboots. I didn't care for the casting, for one thing- I like Zachary Quinto, but I didn't think he had the gravitas to be Spock. Too youthful. And Benedict Cummerbatch as Khan? Again, I like the actor, but he seems horribly miscast.

And every time I saw a trailer for one of the films, it looked like a generic big budget JJ Abrams film in Trek clothing. So far, I think the only bit of Abrams' work I've enjoyed is the TV series, Revolution.

Credit where credit is due, though- setting the story in (yet) another alternate dimension was a very good way to reboot the series while still making a big tip of the hat to the original series. I thought that was pretty savvy and insightful.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
CSI (LV) ruined when Danson and Shue took over. Not so much by the actors as by the incredibly lazy writing.

L&O: flashbacks to watching it with my ex wife. Seriously bad associations.

CSI:NY when they stopped being about solving crimes and made it more of a soap opera. Really the worst was when the main character admitted to knowing that a cop had killed a helpless suspect, and decided to do nothing about it. And it was an out-of-body experience episode, to really terrible writing.

Bones season 8. The pregnancy in season 7 was bad enough, but the overall writing in season 8 is just an abomination that reaches back to the earliest episodes and tries to strangle the show in its crib.

Series 6 of Doctor Who: again, the holes in the writing, and elements that just don't make any sense.

Torchwood: MD
The series had its flaws, and CoE was pretty terrible, but MD was the tombstone, followed by the backhoe exhumation, followed by an autopsy, cremation, and re-interment.

"Give me Manual Control" from one of the Next Gen movies.

"Mother, I insist you get naked, this instant." from a season3 DS9 episode (one of two grotesque abominations of stories from that season).

The opening credits from Phantom Menace for the entire prequel trilogy.
Season 3 of Clone Wars for the entire Clone Wars cartoon series.

Highlander: The Source.

Tracy Scoggins cast in anything.

Michael Bay as director of anything.

Bumblebee peeing on a federal agent.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I suspect I'm not the first person who watched the second Matrix movie but not the third.

Not as well known of an example perhaps, but the Human Target show a few years ago was getting decent, then underwent a change in management and because utterly unwatchable garbage.

I'm also inclined to agree that certain things about Star Trek Into Darkness really turned me off to this whole reboot.
dannyalcatraz said:
I didn't care for the casting, for one thing- I like Zachary Quinto, but I didn't think he had the gravitas to be Spock. Too youthful. And Benedict Cummerbatch as Khan? Again, I like the actor, but he seems horribly miscast.
Carol Marcus kills me almost as much. The actress again not necessarily bad but so utterly wrong for the character.

Elf Witch

First Post
There have been things I have not liked but not to the extent that it drove me away from the original or ruined it for me forever.

I have not been thrilled with most of Moffet run as producer of Dr Who.

I hated second season of War of the Worlds when they completely gutted the show and killed off two characters.

I can't like the new Trek movies to much makes me go WTF! Though I will watch them, because I just adore Karl Urban and think he nailed Bones.

Stargate Universe made me go okay time for the franchise to take a rest.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
THANK YOU! Moffet is a great writer, but his take on the show just about turned me off completely with series 5
I can't like the new Trek movies to much makes me go WTF! Though I will watch them, because I just adore Karl Urban and think he nailed Bones.
Yes! I have a whole rant on that too. KU as McCoy was the only redeeming part of JJATrek.

Highlander 2 could have been good, had they taken their own advice and put all of the footage together in one time, in one place, and done it right. As it was, there was the US release, the European Release, the Director's Cut, and the Renegade Version Director's Cut. All 4 versions had different material not present in other versions.

Last edited:

Elf Witch

First Post
THANK YOU! Moffet is a great writer, but his take on the show just about turned me off completely with series 5

Yes! I have a whole rant on that too. KU as McCoy was the only redeeming part of JJATrek.

I love most of his stories when he was writing under Russel T Davies and I love Sherlock. Like you I don't like the direction he has taken the show.

Simon Pegg did better in the second movie but he was over the top in the first movie. I adore Benedict Cumberbatch but he was just not Khan. I wish they had made him a different villain. He could have been awesome as Kirk old friend gone bad Gary Mitchell.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Simon Pegg did better in the second movie but he was over the top in the first movie. I adore Benedict Cumberbatch but he was just not Khan. I wish they had made him a different villain. He could have been awesome as Kirk old friend gone bad Gary Mitchell.

Or Finnegan, the academy nemesis. Or just create a new character and storyline entirely. Maybe something (gasp) original? Or at least not something they've tried to rehash 4 or 5 times already?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) and The Last Story (Wii) crushed my last hopes for Nintendo as a beloved franchise because of Wii Motion controls. Seriously, batteries? BATTERIES?! The Gamecube controller should have ALWAYS been an option for EVERY Wii game.

That's the strongest reaction I can think of at the moment.

Remove ads