Ruined forever

Derren

Hero
Nimoy always came across as more mature- a feeling that only strengthened over time.

That has probably more to do with the script which was a product of their time.
The Original Kirk, Spock & Co were experienced and serious officers most of the time, because when the series was made that was kinda the "role model" of the society.
But today? People (at least the ones JJTreck is marketed to) want youthful and cool people who rebel against the system and also have some serious angst filled drama. So the roles of Kirk and Spock got rewritten and because of the "cool youth" and "rebel" requirement they come off as a lot less mature as the original, even though the actors themselves are about the same age.

Hussar

Legend
But what's the alternative? Resist and all the children are taken. Give up some chosen by lottery and the rest survive.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
But what's the alternative? Resist and all the children are taken. Give up some chosen by lottery and the rest survive.

You seriously have to ask?
Take the gloves off and unleash Torchwood and UNIT! Turn them loose on the menace. If they can destroy the Siccorax space ship, they could have blown the 459 away while they were on approach. (Maybe fire a warning shot first if Harriet Jones isn't Prime Minister). Support the organizations that exist to protect the planet.
And yes, resist. Charge the ships screaming with pitchforks and torches if you have to. Get the re-enactment societies to bring out their trebuchet and catapults.
And if the government is going along, target them as well. No government that betrays its people that way deserves to be in power. And if people that devoid of ethics and morality are in office, it's time to strip the whole system down and start from scratch. (Of course, that would never be the case in the real world :uhoh: :blush:)

Yes, some suspension of disbelief is required. On the other hand, it is the writers' job not to insult the intelligence of the audience be being totally unrealistic.

I dont get the outrage. In my opinion i'd rather the writers of these shows focus on what they think is good material and not try to tailor things to an intense fanbase. I have quite enjoyed doctor who under mofatt. Ive enjoyed many of the programs and reboots taking heat here. But if i didnt enjoy them, i would just stop watching. I woulnd't torture myself.

MarkB

Legend
I gave up on the webcomic Goblins after the author played with my heart one time too many at the end of the Maze of Many storyline.

I started to watch the UK drama series Spooks, but a certain incident involving a deep fat fryer killed my interest in ever seeing anything more of it.

Nellisir

Hero
I can't think of anything that's "ruined forever". The Highlander movies (except the first obviously) are abominations, but the first is still good. I don't like Moffat's Dr Who but I keep watching it (I agree that it seems very shallow and I think they consistently pull back at the last moment in the episodes, so everything ends with a whimper. Also never warmed to whatshisface, fez guy.)

Agents of Shield is boring the crap out of me.

The Postman is a bit earlier than this stuff; that movie must have absolutely ruined the book for a lot of people, which is a shame because it's a great book.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Usually, when there is a big-screen or TV adaptation of a book or story,I try to read the original first.

I am USUALLY disappointed. Earthsea...I, Robot...The Postman...so many others have all fallen well short or were only tangentially related to the original works.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Midichondrians or whatever Lucas called them ruined SW for me. The force went from the mystical space fantasy to lame sci fi mind powerz caused by measurable quantities of galactic bacteria.

Starbuck being a girl I could cope with but the human-cylones did not appeal

sabrinathecat

Explorer
As you have seen, what is realistic in this situation is pretty debatable. I am on Hussars side and think many people will find a way to rationalize how this is not so bad in order to stay alive and sane.

Try this:
Your government sends police and soldiers into Your home to take Your child as a sacrifice to aliens. You and your child somehow escape, or your kidnapped child is eventually returned to you.
What bribe could any government possibly offer you as a sop to allow you to permit the government that tried to steal and murder your child to continue to exist?
Obviously, the government does not respect your rights as citizens, humans, or parents.

If the writing is consistently good, or works within a story, I'm all for it. Heck, classic Who and the Star Trek ToS had all sorts of continuity problems and inconsistencies from episode to episode. But during each individual story, they worked. Some were better than others, but they worked. NuWho (and Torchwood), but chaining all the stories together into one continuous drama, must operate in a totally consistent way, across all stories or episodes, in order to work. The inconsistent nature of writers, rules, and plots has seriously detracted from the stories. Other choices have been to the detriment of the series as well. (Series 5 was so bad I was prepared to abandon NuWho altogether. I tried series 6 to see if they could salvage the wreckage, and series 7 in order to see the 50th anniversary).
I've gone over my objections to the show in other threads, and don't feel like retreading the same arguments.
I would like them to ditch the idea of Season Arcs in favor of just writing good episodes. (if the arc works, fine, but it isn't necessary)

Remove ads