Star Wars: Disney scraps the Expanded Universe

Hussar

Legend
You're missing the point though Sabcat. You watched because you were already invested in it. People watched the prequels in part because they were already invested in the property.

Imagine someone talking about stories set in their home brew DnD game. How interested are you in gaming stories? That's how interesting I find the EU.

That's why they have to set aside the EU in large part. Because it's very very unlikely that a hundred million Chinese viewers have any idea about most of the written EU.

MarkB

Legend
That's why they have to set aside the EU in large part. Because it's very very unlikely that a hundred million Chinese viewers have any idea about most of the written EU.

Indeed. The trailer didn't bore me, and I knew most of the names, but as a trailer to attract new viewers it would have worked just as well - or as poorly - with a bunch of made-up names that had never featured in the EU.

Nellisir

Hero
How many people knew who Qui Gonn Jinn, Padme', Queen Amidalla, Jar Jar Binks, Watto, or Boss Nass were before they saw the movie (that weren't involved in the production)? Yeah, they were a bunch of names that didn't mean anything.
Exactly two names were mentioned in the first trailer for Episode I: Anakin Skywalker and Obi Wan Kenobi.

Given that the person who made that trailer had very little to work with (just fan films and videos taken out of context or altered, and maybe some video game footage), I think it works
pretty well.
The piece from Serenity was really jarring, but aside from that, yes, it was put together well. I think there was too much voiceover and not enough text; it would have been stronger with a "less is more" approach.

Yes, it's tailored to those knowledgeable about EU. Duh.
And so it's less appealing to those without that knowledge. Thanks for making my point.

They had a lot to cram into very little time, with no budget because they were doing this for fun.
Yup, Fun.
That's why they did it.
Go figure.
And hurrah for them. It's a good product for a niche audience; it just doesn't work outside that audience.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
And so it's less appealing to those without that knowledge. Thanks for making my point.
And hurrah for them. It's a good product for a niche audience; it just doesn't work outside that audience.

Sounds more like a general lack of interest in Star Wars beyond just watching movies.
(Not meant as a personal attack)

MarkB

Legend
Sounds more like a general lack of interest in Star Wars beyond just watching movies.
(Not meant as a personal attack)

I think it's fair to assume that there is a general lack of interest in Star Wars beyond just watching movies. Given the inherent geek-friendly nature of these forums I'm sure most people here who are Star Wars fans will have experienced it to some extent in other media, whether it be RPGs, computer games, novels, comics or something else, but generally speaking, I doubt whether anything more than a small minority of the people who watch and enjoy the Star Wars movies have had more than a glancing acquaintance with the Expanded Universe.

Remove ads