Three new Star Wars movies

In a trilogy marketed as the Skywalker Saga.
That never happened.

You're either willingly trying to muddle people about the past, or, more likely, you've become confused.

The ST was absolutely never, at any pointed, marketed as "The Skywalker Saga".

What you're thinking of is a Lego Star Wars game, which covered ALL NINE films. So you're wrong on both points:

1) It wasn't the trilogy that was ever marketed that way, it was a Lego game.

2) Even when it was used, it referred to all nine films, and there's absolutely no problem to killing the Skywalkers off in a Skywalker Saga, on the direct contrary, you would expect it to be beginning through end.

Some fans have always used it to refer to all nine films, but only after the Lego game.

Also, if Abrams was such a petty little dude (and he definitely is, I remember the interviews at the time), you could easily have another good movie after TLJ. Hell, Trevorrow's movie would arguably have been better than what we got and followed on largely fine from TLJ.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Also, if Abrams was such a petty little dude (and he definitely is, I remember the interviews at the time), you could easily have another good movie after TLJ. Hell, Trevorrow's movie would arguably have been better than what we got and followed on largely fine from TLJ.
I was really excited about seeing the rise of Kylo Ren as an unstable space tyrant and the Resistance rebuilding from being less than two dozen people. Both of those are stories I hadn't seen before and was excited to dig into both. Instead, both get hand-waved away. (Why on earth would Kylo Ren have agreed to share power with Hux, whom he clearly held in contempt? So weird.)

Think about having a power that only gets stronger, each time you use it. Then think about being the lowest of the low, on the social pecking order, pretty much stepped on by all. The more you use it, the harder it would become to NOT use it. You could erase your problems with a thought and punish all those who abused you. Yup, a hell of a drug.
The thing is though, Anakin wasn't the lowest of the low, I mean, not in his own mind, and he wasn't stepped on. He was a small, happy-go-lucky child who didn't seem at all depressed about his place in the world, and was actually extremely adept at navigating that world without really suffering the consequences. He wasn't starving or on the street or in bad health or suffering from malnutrition or neglect or real abuse (beyond being a child soldier but Star Wars is kind of into that) - and he apparently was able to get the resources together to build a droid and a podracer.

On top of that, at a fairly early age, he was inducted into the elite of the elite - the Jedi Order.

He suddenly stopped being happy-go-lucky as a teen (not uncommon), but the only weird thing is he seems to have totally left his mother in that situation - I feel Jedi probably receive enough renumeration that they could elevate a single family member out of poverty, and if they don't, well some spectacular incompetence on the part of the Jedi. Especially given he was something of a star pupil.

I think the story you're suggesting would have been a lot more interesting than what we actually got.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But really, that horse bolted some time in the 1980s. WEG Star Wars, for example, is very closely aligned with Andor in how it sees the Star Wars world, as are a number of the 1980s EU books (including the Han Solo ones that I read).

Might Andor have been even better as a Blake's 7 reboot? Maybe, but it worked in Star Wars, and to suggest it didn't is basically to say WEG Star Wars didn't work, and that, my friend, is real heresy.
You know, I didn't read WEG Star Wars stuff until my 30's, though I did read a lot of Star Wars novels in the 90's (Phantom Menace killed my interest). But I have to say, there seems to my taste an exact correlation between Star Wara material fitting in with those rules and being good.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
The ST was absolutely never, at any pointed, marketed as "The Skywalker Saga".
No, on occasion the whole 9-film series has been referred to by that name in recent years. Disney built on Lucas's comments after the prequel trilogy that the six films were "Anakin Skywalker's story."

There was a box set of all 9 movies sold under that title:

SW.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
No, on occasion the whole 9-film series has been referred to by that name in recent years. Disney built on Lucas's comments after the prequel trilogy that the six films were "Anakin Skywalker's story."

There was a box set of all 9 movies sold under that title:

View attachment 281987

I remember ads maybe from RoS advertising the Skywalker Saga. Could be wrong.

Even without the use of that team though part VII, VIII, IX essentially implies it's a follow upnto what canme before. Wrong place to be getting away from "Skywalker Jedi royalty" when that was the whole point of I-VI.

Rey doesn't need to be a Skywalker she didn't need to clone Luke's arc (and dress similar). Much like we didn't need to see Vader as a kid we didn't need her to do the desert orphan thing 2.0. Just makes her look like a Luke knock off.

Ryujin

Legend
You know, I didn't read WEG Star Wars stuff until my 30's, though I did read a lot of Star Wars novels in the 90's (Phantom Menace killed my interest). But I have to say, there seems to my taste an exact correlation between Star Wara material fitting in with those rules and being good.
Playing WEG Star Wars, and owning a ton of the books for it, pretty much formed my idea of what Star Wars should be. The same could probably be said for FASA Star Trek which at the time was considered canon, until it wasn't.

Ryujin

Legend
The thing is though, Anakin wasn't the lowest of the low, I mean, not in his own mind, and he wasn't stepped on. He was a small, happy-go-lucky child who didn't seem at all depressed about his place in the world, and was actually extremely adept at navigating that world without really suffering the consequences. He wasn't starving or on the street or in bad health or suffering from malnutrition or neglect or real abuse (beyond being a child soldier but Star Wars is kind of into that) - and he apparently was able to get the resources together to build a droid and a podracer.

On top of that, at a fairly early age, he was inducted into the elite of the elite - the Jedi Order.

He suddenly stopped being happy-go-lucky as a teen (not uncommon), but the only weird thing is he seems to have totally left his mother in that situation - I feel Jedi probably receive enough renumeration that they could elevate a single family member out of poverty, and if they don't, well some spectacular incompetence on the part of the Jedi. Especially given he was something of a star pupil.

I think the story you're suggesting would have been a lot more interesting than what we actually got.
He was, though. He just put a good face on it, until his mother's death.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Playing WEG Star Wars, and owning a ton of the books for it, pretty much formed my idea of what Star Wars should be. The same could probably be said for FASA Star Trek which at the time was considered canon, until it wasn't.
Yeah, I got that indirectly through the novels, I reckon.

Remove ads