So even the brain dead can graduate grade school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mallus

Legend
Or am I just cold, heartless, and insensitive?
I'd go with d) looking for attention by adopting a thorny contrarian persona online. For my money, that's better than a) cold, b) heartless, and c) insensitive any day of the week!

Umbran nailed this in post #2. This has nothing to do with the poor girl's achievements. It's to help -- in some small feeble way -- her parents, loved ones, and the rest of the community.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Attention seeking & picking a thorny issue? No, that's more of an OTTer thing.
The way it was reported really did bug me.
And the implications of honorary degree (in any form) bug me as well.

Most kids don't have a problem with the Pledge of Allegiance either. Of course, they aren't (well, I wasn't) taught about the state-sponsored prayer aspect until much later. Had I known, even at 6, I would not have participated.
As for helping the community? Yeah, I don't get that. The Family maybe. But the community? Maybe because I'm not a joiner.

Unfortunately, most of the outrages I'd rather tear into are not permitted on this board. (Though I would suggest watching "Dirty Wars")

Last edited:

Let's simplify here.

Item 1: award of achievement without merit.
Item 2: tv news fluff reporting

Item 1 a problem? debatable.
Item 2 a problem? absolutely

I might have had fewer problems with item 1, if not for item 2
Could you explain why you have a problem with 1?
Why do you have a problem with 2?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
All honorary degrees diminish those who have worked to earn legitimate degrees.

I've gone over the fluff reporting several times already.

And how, exactly, does this help people "heal"? It seems to me more like a be a slap in the face of something that won't ever happen.

Last edited:

How? When you apply for a job, are you competing with people that have honorary PhDs? Have yo lost a job to someone with an honorary degree? Does it make your degree worth any less to those that are hiring you?

I've gone over the fluff reporting several times already.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see what you identify as a problem with "fluff" pieces.

And how, exactly, does this help people "heal"? It seems to me more like a be a slap in the face of something that won't ever happen.
Different people grieve in different ways. They also get closure in different ways. How do you grieve?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

No, they don't. Because, as stated, pretty much everybody but you understands that they are different beasts.

But, even if they weren't. A young girl was ripped from herself untimely. Any "diminishment" that her fellow sixth graders will experience via having to share their sixth grade diploma with someone who has passed is diddly-squat compared to what the girl lost. So, really, a sense of perspective is in order.

And how, exactly, does this help people "heal"?

If you honestly do not understand the basic interactions of human mourning, you probably need more assistance on the matter than can be given in a short-form, plain-text medium. If you really want to know, I recommend speaking to a mental health professional or grief counselor about it. They'd likely do a better job of describing it than we can.

But, we can try, I suppose. There are a few ways such a memorial might help:

1) Generalized emotional support. As I said upthread, when someone is grieving, or under great stress, the plain statement that others in the community care is assistance. Humans are tribal animals, and we can draw emotional strength from support given by others.

2) There is a certain amount of mental processing that must occur for humans to get past a major emotional loss in a healthy manner. Memorials of this form can often assist that processing, by giving it a framework, and marking at least one of the milestones that was expected, but was aborted.

3) You noted in the OP that this was the result of a drive-by shooting. That means it wasn't just a random accident, but a community-centered one. There is crime within the community that caused this. Failing to come together over it may well allow fear and cynicism to bake that much further into the community, which can be part of a negative-feedback spiral.

Elf Witch

First Post
In my senior year of high school one of my friends was hit by a drunk driver and left to die in a ditch. He had been a popular student a member of the marching band and student government.

He was awarded his diploma with the rest of the graduates ,accepting his was his younger sister. There was a standing ovation and many tears when she came up to accept it. I know that it meant a lot to his family and his friends it was a way of sharing our loss or grief and remembering him and having part of that special day.

As for the news covering feel good fluff stories all I have to say is thank god because without them it is all to grim it is nice to be reminded that good things happen in this world too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases