So even the brain dead can graduate grade school

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
So by not seeing the point of something "purely ceremonial" or "feel good", I might be a sociopath?

Hmmm.
Maybe part of why I never manage to feel like a joiner?

I wouldn't go that far...I'd just say that due to only experiencing the icky part of humanity you have lost the ability to see the good.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So by not seeing the point of something "purely ceremonial" or "feel good", I might be a sociopath?

What you've suggested is a bit beyond "I don't see the point" and is a bit more to, "I don't understand how this might help *anyone else* either".

Maybe not so much a sociopath as a Vogon. Curmugeonliness can be taken too far, you know.

Janx

Hero

Hmmm.
Maybe part of why I never manage to feel like a joiner?

if not sociopath, perhaps one of those autism-variants. the kind that makes you functional, but not quite relatable with the rest of humanity.

I have a sociopath on my team and used to have another guy with a different thing where he couldn't look people in the eye or easily talk to people, but he could focus on technical details (he had a real thing, i can't remember what its called, something-berger's I think).

As I can't name what you have, obviously I'm not qualified to diagnose you. But you are exhibiting traits of some kind of social issue. I hesitate to call it a problem or disorder, but I suspect there's a name for it.

Assuming you do have a Thing, if it's not causing you problems, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be aware that it may cause you to look at things in ways that make other people look at you funny. My sociopath only seems to hurt bike couriers because there's a legal vector for it, otherwise, he's mostly safe.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
if not sociopath, perhaps one of those autism-variants. the kind that makes you functional, but not quite relatable with the rest of humanity.

I have a sociopath on my team and used to have another guy with a different thing where he couldn't look people in the eye or easily talk to people, but he could focus on technical details (he had a real thing, i can't remember what its called, something-berger's I think).

As I can't name what you have, obviously I'm not qualified to diagnose you. But you are exhibiting traits of some kind of social issue. I hesitate to call it a problem or disorder, but I suspect there's a name for it.

Assuming you do have a Thing, if it's not causing you problems, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be aware that it may cause you to look at things in ways that make other people look at you funny. My sociopath only seems to hurt bike couriers because there's a legal vector for it, otherwise, he's mostly safe.

Were you thinking Asperger's, perhahps?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

Actually, AFAIK, none of us here is qualified to diagnose whether someone is or is not sociopathic or has Aspberger's- or any other disorder beyond being a grumpier person than we are usually talking to. And even if we were, it's unethical to actually diagnose someone over the Internet...

I highly doubt he meets the criteria for either.

What you are referring to is Asperger's Disorder, which is no longer its own diagnosis. It has been folded into the Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis.

Couldn't Sabrina just be a jerk? Why do people automatically believe that because someone acts differently, they must have some mental disorder?

it's unethical to actually diagnose someone over the Internet...
Well, that depends. There are various ways to use the internet to perform assessments. Webcams and such are very helpful, and it's possible to provide mental health services through telemedicine/telehealth methods. There are certain assessments that can be conducted through a webcam, as long as you have a trained administrator with the subject.

In any case, trying to diagnose someone based solely on an internet forum post is unethical, if you are seriously trying to diagnose the person. You certainly couldn't charge the person, and you definitely shouldn't try to treat the person.

Janx

Hero
I highly doubt he meets the criteria for either.

I'd need more notes on Sab before I could armchair diagnose him. He doesn't think much of humanity, can't seem to understand the situation in this thread, and is very very picky about what Nerd Genre stuff he likes.

What you are referring to is Asperger's Disorder, which is no longer its own diagnosis. It has been folded into the Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis.

And that's why I said autism-related, as I knew what you just said but couldn't remember the name. I clearly left enough clues so you and Danny could finish my thought.

Couldn't Sabrina just be a jerk? Why do people automatically believe that because someone acts differently, they must have some mental disorder?

I haven't seen traits of jerkiness from Sabrina in my dealings with him. just because he can't fathom why the rest of us think it's OK to hand out diplomas to dead people, doesn't mean he acts like a jerk to people.

I'm not wholly sure that whatever he's got (assuming its something to have) is a disorder, so much as a batch of wiring that doesn't enable him to relate to other humans. And that's overly broad and thus likely to be wrong. I can't put my finger on it, but something's different with Sab's wiring. I don't think it gets in the way of Sab's life, so I don't see it as a disorder. Just different.

There's been threads where Topic X has a majority of people siding with Y and a few people with oppose it on grounds that seem very counter to average human response. I suspect these some of these cases may be indicative of one of these diagnosable traits (rather than simple political differences).

Or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads