Anyone feeling old?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
My last boss has never seen an episode of Star Trek--she was born in '93, and by the time she was old enough to watch it, it was all over except for maybe enterprise.

How about that format war between VHS and Betamax?
Or when CDs were introduced to the market, and forced Vinyl records out?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Anybody remember those LP-sized LaserDiscs?:lol: And DATs?

Not only do I remember those, I had a reel-to-reel audio recorder. One time, I used it to record sound effects from my Atari 2600. Yar's Revenge, fools!

sabrinathecat

Explorer
:eek:

Aren't you a landlord? How...?

Yes, but for fun I worked 8 months last year at a restaurant. And that way it would be something more recent on my resume than 8 years ago when I went job hunting. (not that that has worked...)

DAT tapes? Didn't those only last for about a year? Along with one of those funky game consoles (3do?) where the primary game got banned in the US for having guys stalking and dehumanizing women? (Night Stalker or some such title--looked like a bad movie but you could control the traps in the house)

Janx

Hero
Yes, but for fun I worked 8 months last year at a restaurant. And that way it would be something more recent on my resume than 8 years ago when I went job hunting. (not that that has worked...)

I'm not sure why "8 years as owner of property management business" needs augmenting with "8 months as a waiter" on a resume...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
DATs were a production level format that got released into the commercial market for a few years. Its advantages didn't offset the cost of the machines needed to play them. Ultimately, they returned to the production studios. Biggest users today are film and TV studios. Sony made their last DAT machines about 8 years ago, so who knows...

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I'm not sure why "8 years as owner of property management business" needs augmenting with "8 months as a waiter" on a resume...

A loner schlub can own/run their own business. Doesn't really equate to being able to work with others. And I don't advertise the "own" part on my resume so much as "self employed". Gets complicated. Sort of. In my head, anyway.

When I was a child, a very nice administrator at a university near my house had given me an account so I could play games on their mainframe. The terminals didn't have monitors - everything printed out on paper - so I would play games with the computer by having it print each move out on the paper. That was my first experience with text-based games and grid-based simple wargame simulations.

I was very excited when my family bought the first Apple II model that came out. Having a screen was a luxury!

Remove ads