Anyone feeling old?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Old is when you're still complaining about Firefly being cancelled and realize it was over a decade ago. :)
Old is making a Star Wars Phantom Menace reference and someone telling you they were too young to remember watching it.
Old is realizing that CD-ROMs were cutting edge tech when Shadowrun debuted, and wireless phones and several devices from pwniexpress would have solved several problems in old adventures for the setting. :)
Old is showing someone your vintage Luke Skywalker Kenner action figure, and being asked, "who's the blond guy with the blue stick in his arm?"
Old is remembering when the majority of internet traffic was as ephemeral as a college bulletin board. (and remembering that a bulletin board consisted of cork, not software.)

Old is being able to come up with this list.

More seriously, Old is seeing the story on Jim Ward, and thinking about Gary, and Dave, and Tramp, and Nigel Findley, and Aaron Allston, and Jack Vance, and realizing that the pool of the original old guard I used to lionize as a young kid is constantly shrinking.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
Old is realizing that CD-ROMs were cutting edge tech when Shadowrun debuted, and wireless phones and several devices from pwniexpress would have solved several problems in old adventures for the setting. :)
Old is to still remember that Shadowrun featured cell phones as a piece of standard equipment, and myself wondering what the hell a 'cell phone' was supposed to be!
(To my defense: back then I only knew these phones as either 'handies' (a Germanism!), mobile or wireless phones).

Janx

Hero
Old is to still remember that Shadowrun featured cell phones as a piece of standard equipment, and myself wondering what the hell a 'cell phone' was supposed to be!
(To my defense: back then I only knew these phones as either 'handies' (a Germanism!), mobile or wireless phones).

I've learned through Todd and the Book of Evil that a Handie is something else. And German Herpes is especially dreadful.

but yeah, the limits of some of the old SR idea of tech compared to what we have right now is amusing

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Old is when you're still complaining about Firefly being cancelled and realize it was over a decade ago. :)
A decade already?

Old is making a Star Wars Phantom Menace reference and someone telling you they were too young to remember watching it.
That just hurts

What are you talking about? I remember casset players being a form of data storage

Old is showing someone your vintage Luke Skywalker Kenner action figure, and being asked, "who's the blond guy with the blue stick in his arm?"

Old is remembering when the majority of internet traffic was as ephemeral as a college bulletin board. (and remembering that a bulletin board consisted of cork, not software.)
cork board, is there anything else?

Old is being able to come up with this list.

Or commenting on more then half of this list

Henry

Autoexreginated
Blue stick? The old Luke came with a Yellow Lightsaber stick. Or did you canabalize an Obi-Wan?

What's being cannibalized is my memory. :) i was misremembering the color of the kenner figure with the color of the 12" star wars figures, where he had a blue saber.

Remove ads