Dwimmermount IC:

Leif

Adventurer
Klyman Sylar

"Well, I guess that will have to do for now," says Klyman as he is trussed up by the Dwarves. Once he's all set, he will climb along the cliff face toward the outcropping of rock that seems to be the goal here.

OOC: I'm assuming that you'll make the Climb Walls roll, Mr. DM, or should I do it?

Last edited:

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Jimi looks on in earnest, slightly nervous at the thought of having to follow Klyman's path... Scaling mountainsides and shimmying across Dwarven handholds isn't something his Clerical training had best prepared him for.

Still, Klyman and the Dwarves seem to know what they're doing...

Imperialus

Explorer
Your guess about the handholds was right. They are secure, easily gripped, and other than their spacing, ideal for climbing. It scarcely takes you any more time to shimmy over to the outcrop than it would have to walk the same distance. Once there, hidden from sight of the path you see a heavy steel ring set into the stone obviously designed as a piton to help ferry supplies across the gap.

Looking around the bend it would appear that the path does indeed widen. It's still narrow, but unless a gale pops up no one is likely to have difficulty walking down it.

Leif

Adventurer
Klyman Sylar

Rejoining the rest of the group, Klyman says, 'The handholds make it a simple matter to traverse the ledge, even for humans, but Dwarves will have an even easier time of it. Now, I did see a heavy steel ring set into the stone wall that may well be intended to hold a rope to move material along this path. But, I am wondering whether it may also be a doorknob of sorts to open a hidden doorway. Before we go past it, we'd best make sure that it is not a doorknob, or else we may have enemies sneaking up behind us."

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Midgrim looks at him a bit askance... "Well let's go ahead and do that then? Toss back the rope when yee're done and we'll ferry everybody across... Starting with Fortuneman over there. Worse part is the waiting," he confides to the acolyte with a confident elbow jab.

[sblock=OOC]Let's ferry Jimi then Climent across with the rope, Gargrim and Midgrim holding. Then get the dwarves across with the other guys holding from the other side. No sense in taking risks this early in the game, right? :)

On Jimi's suggestion, Midgrim WILL try a "Detect Hidden Constructions" on the ring and the path as he goes across: 1d6=5. No go. :([/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
Klyman Sylar

Klyman will take the rope back across, leaving one end secured with the rest of the group. This time he goes all the way across, not messing with the ring in the stone at present.

Imperialus

Explorer
using the rope it is a simple matter for the rest of the party to cross. Jimi and Climet have a little bit of difficulty, they lack the dwarven eyes for stonework and Klyman's professional climbing ability but everyone makes it over safely and you are able to tie any heavy gear to the rope and pull it across saving yourselves the trouble of making the climb while unbalanced by your packs and armour. It takes about half an hour for the whole operation, but after that everyone is crammed along the narrow path leading further around the mountain.

Upon examining the ring it becomes quite evident that it is just that, a simple ring set into the stone so a rope can be secured to it. No matter how much you pull or twist it, it does not move so much as a millimeter. If it is indeed a lever or doorknob of some sort you are entirely unable to decipher the mechanics behind it.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Midgrim looks, darkly grinning, down the shear face to their right, gusts of wind from the valley far below whipping at his beard, before crouching back into the lee of the path and looking each of his companions in the eyes in turn, saying: "From here on in, this be the secret path o' the dwarves, you understand? We woulna have brought yee here if matters inside weren't... worrying... And we dinna think your special skills could help." He clasps those on each side of him on the shoulder: "Plus there's all the GOLD, jewels and strange things, o' course."

[sblock=OOC]I propose this for a single-fine marching order?

Klyman in front but still within view

Gargrim (or Midgrim if PH prefers)
Jimi
Squishy Climent
Midgrim closing the march

Or maybe we should have a dwarf leading for this first part?[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
Klyman Sylar

"Really, Gargrim, these rocky trails are like a Dwarf's back-yard, so I think either you or Midgrim will have as much success at scouting here as would I. It may well be that we get to a terrain later on where I might perhaps be better suited than you, but this is not the place."

OOC: As much as Klyman would like to be in a position to scout ahead, he is none too eager to be the "Point of the spear" here, and he welcomes either Gargrim or Midgrim to at least share point with him.

Last edited:

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"I'm inclined to agree" says Jimi to Midgrim, "If this really is the 'secret path of the Dwarves' then it would make sense for either yourself or your brother to take the lead. I will happily take up the second rank, or the rear-guard."

Remove ads