D&D 5E A tweak for humans?

Quartz

Hero
In the Basic Rules, humans get +1 to all stats; other races get +2 to one stat, +1 to another, and racial abilities which seem to be about the same as two feats. This has been extensively criticised in a number of threads. It seems to me to be unbalanced. (OTOH one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that you can't create a human PC with a 3 stat. I can't think that you'd want to, but it is an oddity that's there.)

Anyway, instead of having the +1 to all stats, what would be the effect of having +2 to two separate stats, and +1 to two (separate) others?

Klaus

First Post
In the Basic Rules, humans get +1 to all stats; other races get +2 to one stat, +1 to another, and racial abilities which seem to be about the same as two feats. This has been extensively criticised in a number of threads. It seems to me to be unbalanced. (OTOH one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that you can't create a human PC with a 3 stat. I can't think that you'd want to, but it is an oddity that's there.)

Anyway, instead of having the +1 to all stats, what would be the effect of having +2 to two separate stats, and +1 to two (separate) others?

Basic Rules, page 19, at the end of the human entry:

Variant Humans
• +1 to two ability scores
• one additional skill
• one feat

variant

Adventurer
Well yes, hence the power of the other races getting a +2.

It's only one +2 though, a +2 that humans can get if they take the feat option by taking a feat with a +1 attached to it. I would say an additional +2 and two more +1s is better than what the other races get in addition to their +2.

Quartz

Hero
Basic Rules, page 19, at the end of the human entry:

It's only one +2 though, a +2 that humans can get if they take the feat option by taking a feat with a +1 attached to it.

But that forces you to synergise your feat with the stat bump, much restricting your choice of feats. Anyway, in the Basic Rules, there are no feats.

I would say an additional +2 and two more +1s is better than what the other races get in addition to their +2.

I'm not so sure. I look at the slews of abilities the other races get and see humans significantly disadvantaged.

variant

Adventurer
But that forces you to synergise your feat with the stat bump, much restricting your choice of feats. Anyway, in the Basic Rules, there are no feats.

Yes, and? It's far more flexibility than any of the other races have. Flexibility is a very powerful ability to have as well.

I'm not so sure. I look at the slews of abilities the other races get and see humans significantly disadvantaged.

Most of those 'slews of abilities' are very situational, niche, or focused.

I'd start from the Variant Human, and then just replace that bonus feat with an extra +2 he can put anywhere, including on top of a stat he gave a +1 to already. Thus making him the only race who can start the game by giving a stat a +3. Would serve pretty much the same purpose: Make the Human excel in his chosen craft earlier than anyone else.

variant

Adventurer
I'd start from the Variant Human, and then just replace that bonus feat with an extra +2 he can put anywhere, including on top of a stat he gave a +1 to already. Thus making him the only race who can start the game by giving a stat a +3. Would serve pretty much the same purpose: Make the Human excel in his chosen craft earlier than anyone else.

That would be seriously overpowered.

Remove ads