D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

ccooke

Adventurer
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Streamlined rules. Better rules. More flexible, more support for roleplaying and better use of option space than ever before. Diversity of art and content should set a new standard to be beaten.

This edition of Dungeons & Dragons brought me back into the fold after a 25+ year absence. It is more compelling than any edition since 1st edition AD&D.

ranger69

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

The latest evolution of D&D is almost right.There is so much to like, the backgrounds, advantage/disadvantage, the spell system, and most importantly the flexibility and the way that the DM's are encouraged to make decisions.And yet....It's difficult to say what is wrong, but it's not a full five. It's not because of complaints on the forums. Whatever edition of D&D is being played would be faulty for some people.The artwork is mainly very good.The rules themselves are probably the easiest for new players to get into. When I have played it I have really enjoyed it.

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast

The D&D 5E PHB is a beautiful, readable, and usable book. As an experienced D&D player I am happy with it, though I feel it could have been organized a bit better for quick reference. For a new player, I'm a bit worried that it would take a very long time to actually learn how to play the game as written. Bits and pieces of rules are spread all over the book while character creation could have used a few more overview tables to lay things out. I'd happily buy another book of this quality, but hope that future volumes present themselves to new players a bit better.

smiteworks

Explorer

Each of the characters are interesting and unique enough for varied play styles. This really brings back a faster playing game experience that is deadly and interesting for characters.

Agamon

Adventurer

The book is very well laid out, the art is fantastic, and the game itself is fun to play.

bragarfull

First Post

The actual content and version is great, just a widespread issue of binding problems have been reported. The solution I found was to buy a second copy and have a local printer coil bind it. Much better for actual game play use anyway.

It’s difficult to be a cynic when a game book gets so much right. I still have issues with a few aspects of the rules - as I have with all editions - but the gameplay is so smooth and the archetypal Classes are so well realised that it really doesn’t matter. I don’t regard this as the best set of fantasy rules around (that would be RuneQuest), but I do regard it as the standard that will satisfy the most gamers around. I like the breezy tone of the writing and the full colour presentation is easy on the eye - but so long as they keep supporting the game and allowing the fan base to grow naturally (by word of mouth, rather than marketing plans), it’ll enjoy a long, happy life. In short, this is the return of a Classic!

guachi

Hero

My PHB is starting to fall apart. I am giving the book a 4/5 as Wizard's is replacing mine but I still have to go through the hassle of replacing it. Also, the spell list is alphabetical rather than by spell level. That's 83 of the book's 320 pages. The art is good but not outstanding. Too much of the art should have been left on the cutting room floor. My final complaint is the natural language gets in the way of figuring out what the rules actually say sometimes.Other than that, the book is outstanding. Fun classes. Simple mechanisms. Eventually, you won't ever have to open your book again.

Remove ads