[Arabian Nights] Tale of the Redeemable and the Unredeemed

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Originally I was thinking a Princess Jasmine type character but I figured I should read the story to see what archetypes would fit in. Sounds like you can roll with almost anything :)

Quickleaf

Legend
I was actually ready back in 2005. :)  A week or two more won't hurt me...
Wow, that really was back in 2005! Time flies! :)

Originally I was thinking a Princess Jasmine type character but I figured I should read the story to see what archetypes would fit in. Sounds like you can roll with almost anything :)
Ah, the princess with an unwanted suitor and dogmatic father just wanting to be free. Classic.

Yes I am very flexible about your characters :)

With one caveat: Because this is a more character-driven adventure, it's important your characters connect to (1) each other and (2) the starting story situation.

1) Character Connections

These can be background elements your characters share in common, so they've crossed paths before. Or they could be common values or reasons for journeying together, even though they haven't yet met. Making these connections explicit up front tends to make things easier later on.

Perhaps [MENTION=16760]The Shadow[/MENTION] can share some possible character connection points (e.g. Lost Boys, the commission by the Grand Caliph, etc.) as examples?

2) Story Connections

It is important that you come up with a reason for your characters to care about the sorcerer Metef's case and be present at his trial before the qadi (judge). I listed several possible questions in my OP, but here they are for convenience:

• What curse did Metef al-Zafir cast upon you? What sort of justice does he deserve?
  • Why are you reluctant to testify against Metef al-Zafir? Did he threaten you or your family? Would your testimony prove his innocence in one case, but you want to see him punished for a dozen others? Would your testimony incriminate others you are trying to protect?
  • How do you know the "wisest qadi (judge) in all Huzuz"? Is the qadi your parent? Did you commit a crime for which the qadi gave you a judgment which restored your self-worth and goodness?
  • What secret shadowy group wants you to lead Metef al-Zafir into their clutches? What do they have over you that is making you do their bidding?
  • Why do you feel strongly about the practice of true justice? Alternately, why do you feel strongly about seeing that a practitioner of sihr (dark magic) receive a fair trial? Was a relative wrongly burned at the stake for witchcraft? Are you a magic-user yourself who hopes to learn Metef's secrets?
  • Despite his crimes, is Metef al-Zafir the one man who can help you accomplish some difficult goal that eludes you? How will you respond to his being put on trial?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I know! Which is why I wanted to read through first to get ideas and make sure whatever character concept I choose will fit. Sorry it is taking so long! There is a lot to read and we've been super busy prepping for my daughter's 10th birthday sleepover party next week :-o

We will try to get it done as soon as possible. :)

Wow, that really was back in 2005! Time flies! :)

Yes. Yes, it does...

Ah, the princess with an unwanted suitor and dogmatic father just wanting to be free. Classic.

Well, she's not a princess, but Jamul's daughter Fatima is facing a marriage quite possibly worse than death. Of course, Jamul feels just about as trapped by Kara Iskendar as she must.

These can be background elements your characters share in common, so they've crossed paths before. Or they could be common values or reasons for journeying together, even though they haven't yet met. Making these connections explicit up front tends to make things easier later on.

Perhaps [MENTION=16760]The Shadow[/MENTION] can share some possible character connection points (e.g. Lost Boys, the commission by the Grand Caliph, etc.) as examples?

Hmm. Well, yes, there's the Forgotten Boys - and Zayid al-Hafiz, the idealistic mullah who runs the madrassah in Cemetery Square and is trying to find them. There's the Court of Rising Winds, of course. And yes, the machinations around Abdul's presentation to the Caliph. And his mysterious family. And perhaps members of Tayseer's family. And just about anybody from Zarif would be motivated to adventure with him, I'd think. Shuri already is, after all. The list goes on. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
I know! Which is why I wanted to read through first to get ideas and make sure whatever character concept I choose will fit. Sorry it is taking so long! There is a lot to read and we've been super busy prepping for my daughter's 10th birthday sleepover party next week :-o

We will try to get it done as soon as possible. :)
No worries. Sleepover parties take precedence!

Yes. Yes, it does...

Well, she's not a princess, but Jamul's daughter Fatima is facing a marriage quite possibly worse than death. Of course, Jamul feels just about as trapped by Kara Iskendar as she must.

Hmm. Well, yes, there's the Forgotten Boys - and Zayid al-Hafiz, the idealistic mullah who runs the madrassah in Cemetery Square and is trying to find them. There's the Court of Rising Winds, of course. And yes, the machinations around Abdul's presentation to the Caliph. And his mysterious family. And perhaps members of Tayseer's family. And just about anybody from Zarif would be motivated to adventure with him, I'd think. Shuri already is, after all. The list goes on. :)
Wow, I'd forgotten all the nuances and just how many plot threads we were juggling! Should be interesting to see what new plots [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] come up with!

Quickleaf

Legend
Is Abdul al-Jann the only returning character from the original story? Well, and the bad guy ;)

Yes, as far as PCs Abdul is the only one.

Several NPCs will make a reappearance, though I plan on providing context so you and [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] get an introduction to any recurring NPCs on their own merits in play.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hrmmm, I have a few ideas percolating. Give me some time to finish letting it come to maturity.
Look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Are you all familiar with the phase trio from FATE? Basically, FATE character creation is done in a sort of mini-adventure/story format (after you figure out your high concept & trouble) to help create background and give you ideas for your Aspects.

http://fate-srd.com/fate-core/phase-trio

The three phases are: 1) your first adventure, 2) crossing paths, 3) crossing paths again.

During crossing paths, you swap stories for a moment and figure out how your character impacted another PC's story at some point in their past. For example, [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] might appear in The Shadow's background, [MENTION=16760]The Shadow[/MENTION] might appear in Queenie's background, and [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] might appear in Fenris' background. Then we' rotate things once more, so each of your PCs has a some sort of connection to the other two.
[MENTION=16760]The Shadow[/MENTION] Even for Abdul, who had his Aspects dialed in already, the crossing paths parts are worth doing all together. In Abdul's case, however, I guess the order would go more like 2, 3, 1 - with his first REAL adventure being the caravanserai at Zarif. Consider the ties to the other two characters a ret-con ;)

Fenris

Adventurer
Ok, first stab at something. Tariq was a soldier of fortune, a man wandering the waters and wastes of the land trying to find his fortune. Some would even have called him a treasure hunter, an unkind person would call him a tomb robber or a common thief. Tariq certainly may have broken a few laws, but he was an honorable man.

At some point Tariq was working with a sorcerer named Metef. They were after some ancient treasure. But that is all he can remember. That damned sorcerer had cast a spell upon him and wiped out his memory. Five years worth of memories! They were slowly coming back. Tariq was certain is was Metef though. What he wasn't sure of is whether killing the sorcerer would break the spell or if he had to force or trick him to do it. Luckily Metef had been caught and was facing trial, but what to do.....?

So a Sinbad kind of flavor.

Remove ads