[Arabian Nights] Tale of the Redeemable and the Unredeemed

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm starting up an Arabian Nights-themed play-by-post game with [MENTION=16760]The Shadow[/MENTION] and thought I'd start a thread here on the off chance anyone is into the genre and would like to join.

The "Tale of the Redeemable and the Unredeemed" is about bringing the wicked sorcerer Metef al-Zafir to justice and, possibly, saving him from himself. It is a continuation of a game we started years ago, and past players have come and gone, leaving their mark on the game.

Rules: FATE Core; I am not too hung up on the rules and am happy to homebrew, house rule, or just make reasonable rulings too. FATE looks like a pretty good fit.

Setting: AL-QADIM; We tweaked the setting, using Islam as the main religion, and making all characters human (though I'd be willing to compromise to accommodate an interesting character concept). Our story begins in Huzuz, the City of Delights. Here is the Setting Map.

Style of Game: More focused on story and characters than combat, with an emphasis on being "Heroes of the Nights" in the sense of being pithy, good-hearted (even if a bit scoundrel-ish), and having faith in God, the Merciful and Almighty. Also, at certain points we may switch who GMs if one of you decides to narrate a frame story in which the rest of us take on the roles of characters in the tale.

Character Hooks/Ideas:
  • What curse did Metef al-Zafir cast upon you? What sort of justice does he deserve?
  • Why are you reluctant to testify against Metef al-Zafir? Did he threaten you or your family? Would your testimony prove his innocence in one case, but you want to see him punished for a dozen others? Would your testimony incriminate others you are trying to protect?
  • How do you know the "wisest qadi (judge) in all Huzuz"? Is the qadi your parent? Did you commit a crime for which the qadi gave you a judgment which restored your self-worth and goodness?
  • What secret shadowy group wants you to lead Metef al-Zafir into their clutches? What do they have over you that is making you do their bidding?
  • Why do you feel strongly about the practice of true justice? Alternately, why do you feel strongly about seeing that a practitioner of sihr (dark magic) receive a fair trial? Was a relative wrongly burned at the stake for witchcraft? Are you a magic-user yourself who hopes to learn Metef's secrets?
  • Despite his crimes, is Metef al-Zafir the one man who can help you accomplish some difficult goal that eludes you? How will you respond to his being put on trial?

Last edited:

Been looking forward to this for a long time! The original game was in True20 (and was indeed a playtest of the True20 setting book Caliphate Nights), but I think Fate will suit it even better.

Fenris

Adventurer
Both Queenie and I would be interested. The setting sounds awesome as does the style of play. Neither of us have played Fate, but looking over the SRD briefly I don't see that as being a huge hurdle.

Thanks will give this a read over to get an idea what kind of character will fit :)

Sigh. If you've already read it, go back and take another look. I just noticed that I left off two whole sessions, and I've added them now.

They are very relevant, as the game is going to pick up right where they left off!

Remove ads