[Arabian Nights] Tale of the Redeemable and the Unredeemed

Quickleaf

Legend
Ok, first stab at something. Tariq was a soldier of fortune, a man wandering the waters and wastes of the land trying to find his fortune. Some would even have called him a treasure hunter, an unkind person would call him a tomb robber or a common thief. Tariq certainly may have broken a few laws, but he was an honorable man.

At some point Tariq was working with a sorcerer named Metef. They were after some ancient treasure. But that is all he can remember. That damned sorcerer had cast a spell upon him and wiped out his memory. Five years worth of memories! They were slowly coming back. Tariq was certain is was Metef though. What he wasn't sure of is whether killing the sorcerer would break the spell or if he had to force or trick him to do it. Luckily Metef had been caught and was facing trial, but what to do.....?

So a Sinbad kind of flavor.
Tariq sounds like he'd fit very nicely! And you've set out his high concept and trouble very nicely; for example, his trouble might be... Five years I can't remember. The treasure they were after probably was the "emerald talisman" that is referred to in the last story hour, which the sorcerer Metef was competing with the sorcerer R'akibum for.

How about you [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION]?

Ok, first stab at something. Tariq was a soldier of fortune, a man wandering the waters and wastes of the land trying to find his fortune. Some would even have called him a treasure hunter, an unkind person would call him a tomb robber or a common thief. Tariq certainly may have broken a few laws, but he was an honorable man.

At some point Tariq was working with a sorcerer named Metef. They were after some ancient treasure. But that is all he can remember. That damned sorcerer had cast a spell upon him and wiped out his memory. Five years worth of memories! They were slowly coming back. Tariq was certain is was Metef though. What he wasn't sure of is whether killing the sorcerer would break the spell or if he had to force or trick him to do it. Luckily Metef had been caught and was facing trial, but what to do.....?

So a Sinbad kind of flavor.

Oooh. A guy like Tariq might even have run across the fabled treasure of the Malik Hakiziman at some point - the treasure that drove Yazid mad.

If so, maybe Metef *had* to wipe Tariq's memory to keep him from the same fate. Whatta twist, yes?

The emerald talisman works too. :) And is admittedly less of a stretch. Either of those would tie Tariq in quite powerfully.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I am still here! Life has been busy and I haven't been able to get to the end of the story yet, I was hoping to do that before committing to a character. Things will free up after this weekend is over but I will give some good thought to it tonight. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
Good call [MENTION=16760]The Shadow[/MENTION]! Either treasure works, I'll leave it up to you [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION].

[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] No worries, after the weekend is fine.

I am thinking the opening scene will be at Namvar al-Qadi's (judge's) home office preparing for the case against Metef al-Zarif whom Abdul and the NPC guardsman Shuri ibn-Razan have brought before him (in cursed raven form). Tariq and [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION]'s character could be present by coincidence (e.g. Having dinner with qadi's family OR being chastised by the qadi for breaking a minor law), be summoned by the qadi who knows they have a personal stake in what befalls the sorcerer Metef, or have come calling of their own volition after hearing rumors Metef was in Huzuz, the City of Delights. Other NPCs present will be the Qadi's family, his personal scribe, and his mamluk bodyguard.

There may be quests you choose to undertake before the trial to gather evidence or investigate mysteries or to make Metef's life miserable ;) Or if you prefer after setting the scene we can jump right to the trial (which I plan on doing in AL-QADIM style, *not* a western court procedural).

[MENTION=16760]The Shadow[/MENTION] As a point of background, let's say Yasir made a water deal and traveled back to the caravanserai Zarif to see the water delivered. And Farraj is lost somewhere in the City of Delights like a country bumpkin. Sound good?

I am thinking the opening scene will be at Namvar al-Qadi's (judge's) home office preparing for the case against Metef al-Zarif whom Abdul and the NPC guardsman Shuri ibn-Razan have brought before him (in cursed raven form). Tariq and [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION]'s character could be present by coincidence (e.g. Having dinner with qadi's family OR being chastised by the qadi for breaking a minor law), be summoned by the qadi who knows they have a personal stake in what befalls the sorcerer Metef, or have come calling of their own volition after hearing rumors Metef was in Huzuz, the City of Delights. Other NPCs present will be the Qadi's family, his personal scribe, and his mamluk bodyguard.

There probably would be rumors, yes. The people from the ferry will be wagging their tongues, as well as the people who saw the sorcerer's duel. Hey, that guy Gobryas was also looking for Namvar al-Qadi, maybe we'll see him again?

Namvar's family will be present, will they? Including Rafiqi's sweetie? There are possibilities here...

It will also be interesting to see how strong a resemblance there is between Namvar and Lightfingers.

Will Fajhoul be present? I assume that R'Akibum is also going on trial, and he's a witness. (Can djinni testify in a shari'a court? He *is* a Muslim...)

There may be quests you choose to undertake before the trial to gather evidence or investigate mysteries or to make Metef's life miserable ;) Or if you prefer after setting the scene we can jump right to the trial (which I plan on doing in AL-QADIM style, *not* a western court procedural).

[MENTION=16760]The Shadow[/MENTION] As a point of background, let's say Yasir made a water deal and traveled back to the caravanserai Zarif to see the water delivered. And Farraj is lost somewhere in the City of Delights like a country bumpkin. Sound good?

As I recall, Farraj had fallen into the hands of the Young Blood of the Forgotten Boys?

Who did Yasir manage to cut a deal with? Not Kara Iskendar, I'm thinking. So you're letting me off from summoning the marid? :)

Is Shuri part of the group? Or is he going with Yasir? I know he likes Yasir better, but we've also got this thing going on where he is reassessing his attitude toward sorcerers because of Abdul's well-timed Dispel. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
There probably would be rumors, yes. The people from the ferry will be wagging their tongues, as well as the people who saw the sorcerer's duel. Hey, that guy Gobryas was also looking for Namvar al-Qadi, maybe we'll see him again?

Namvar's family will be present, will they? Including Rafiqi's sweetie? There are possibilities here...

It will also be interesting to see how strong a resemblance there is between Namvar and Lightfingers.
Yes, yes :)

Will Fajhoul be present? I assume that R'Akibum is also going on trial, and he's a witness. (Can djinni testify in a shari'a court? He *is* a Muslim...)
Normally a djinni would not be called to testify. It's a grey area. Though an individual qadi might be swayed to permit such testimony.

As I recall, Farraj had fallen into the hands of the Young Blood of the Forgotten Boys?
Yes, he may turn up later.

Who did Yasir manage to cut a deal with? Not Kara Iskendar, I'm thinking. So you're letting me off from summoning the marid? :)
From another water merchant. Yes, you're off the hook for summoning the marid. One problem down. 12 to go. ;)

Is Shuri part of the group? Or is he going with Yasir? I know he likes Yasir better, but we've also got this thing going on where he is reassessing his attitude toward sorcerers because of Abdul's well-timed Dispel. :)
It probably would make more sense for Shuri to help deliver the water to the caravanserai at Zarif, wouldn't it? Then again, he has firsthand testimony about Metef's rule of the caravanserai...

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Okay so yes, I have a concept. Very briefly, my Princess ( probably long down the line of succession) is searching for Metef so he can reverse a spell he's enacted upon her and her loved ones. He once wanted her for himself and when she refused him, he was enraged and cursed her. There is more but it might be better in a PM :)

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Most importantly, Metef cursed her True Love, so she needs to find the sorcerer and convince him to break the spell. He also cursed her family, the royal family, to forget who she is. So, she is forced to leave the palace anyway. Now I need to figure out a connection to [MENTION=16760]The Shadow[/MENTION] character.

Most importantly, Metef cursed her True Love, so she needs to find the sorcerer and convince him to break the spell. He also cursed her family, the royal family, to forget who she is. So, she is forced to leave the palace anyway. Now I need to figure out a connection to [MENTION=16760]The Shadow[/MENTION] character.

Hmmm. Is it possible that her stuff went down a long time ago, and she was kept in a glass casket for years in Jinnistan? Because that would be beyond perfect. >;) (Abdul's backstory includes running across such a woman in Jinnistan.)

So it might be that people have forgotten her not because of a spell, but because she's been on ice for a long time? (She could have been back in Al-Qadim for a few years - enough time to encounter Metef.)

Remove ads