"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." - Season 2

I know what that phrase means. I have no idea what it has to do with the poor writing of AoS though.

Cause the limits the put on the writers in regards to what they can do is a handicap that can hold them back a lot. It only began to go somewhere when several of those limits were cast aside.
Whedon said:
There's a database that's tailored to our show with the properties we can use as well as the properties that are owned by other studios and things that are flagged for major franchises. There are certain areas we can't go because we don't want to step on the toes of the movies. We've had free reign. There are certain rules in terms of the Marvel brand. Marvel is very focused on being grounded — and it is our world with the one twist that they're superheroes. There's no Metropolis, there's no Gotham. It's New York City and Chicago, and in the cinematic universe the process of powers is pretty young. They say it's only been a couple years since Iron Man in terms of our timeline in the universe. So the idea in our world that powers exist is new to the population and SHIELD's job description. It used to be keeping those things secret and that has now changed, so we're dealing with some of that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Cause the limits the put on the writers in regards to what they can do is a handicap that can hold them back a lot. It only began to go somewhere when several of those limits were cast aside.

Sounds like an excuse to me. The writers of True Detective, Downton Abbey, and Game of Thrones can't use that material either, and they manage to produce captivating scripts just fine.

It was bad writing, plain and simple. It became average by the end because they added a tiny spot of character development and a plot twist.

Sounds like an excuse to me. The writers of True Detective, Downton Abbey, and Game of Thrones can't use that material either, and they manage to produce captivating scripts just fine.
None of those example where writing marvel stories in a shared marvel universe and as such you have used a false analogy.

It was bad writing, plain and simple. It became average by the end because they added a tiny spot of character development and a plot twist.
Or such was placed on hold for the Winter Soldier developments and where allowed to move forward after that was not longer an issue.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
None of those example where writing marvel stories in a shared marvel universe and as such you have used a false analogy.

It wasn't an analogy.

Or such was placed on hold for the Winter Soldier developments and where allowed to move forward after that was not longer an issue.

If the "good stuff" was on hold, then they should have written other good stuff. Instead they write poor stuff.

It wasn't an analogy.
Except that it fits the definition of analogy to a tee and was functioning as an analogy, and thus it is an analogy.

If the "good stuff" was on hold, then they should have written other good stuff. Instead they write poor stuff.
I can't help but wonder how much the repeated gaps and preconceptions of what the show should have been caused people to think this. They couldn't ignore the required plot change and had to build toward it and they took time to build the groundwork for an expansion into the type of thing people where complaining it wasn't.

They frequently should the character of SHIELD by showing the organization stomping over civil right in the name of expedience and safety as well showing that they where willing to treat even loyal members as expendable commodities that they where willing to use and throw way when it was convenient. This showed the seed of corruption with the heroes of the show willing to act in a manner that you would expect from HYDRA.

They also took time to show that "gifted" people where under the thumb of SHIELD with the tight leash by the treatment they endured, showing how omnipresent and overly harsh the organization was to people it deemed a threat. And Winter Soldier showed that there are successful experiments with granting people super powers and well as AoS showing both HYDRA and SHIELD experimenting on metahumans.

So the groundwork has been laid for a expansion of powers as well as well as the breaking out of the mold that SHIELD started as.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You can keep defending it, but it won't change the fact that it was a very poorly written show.

You may think otherwise, and that's fine, but you won't be convincing me otherwise.

I hope this year it gets better. From what I've heard, I think it will.

Elven

First Post
Fair enough. My standard is higher than simply not being crap, but YMMV.

Wow, that seems rather harsh, each to there now right? one mans meat is another mans poison,

I did measure the show against the marvel movies it was a spin off of, and it was found wanting..(no magic?, tell that Doctor Strange when you see him in later films in the line)

I was disappointed that it had Joss's involvement (the same guy that directed both avengers movies) and his fu was also found to be weak,

All that said and done, i hope they learn from their mistakes and write better

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
You can keep defending it, but it won't change the fact that it was a very poorly written show.

You may think otherwise, and that's fine, but you won't be convincing me otherwise.

I hope this year it gets better. From what I've heard, I think it will.
Pretty much this.

I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so I really wanted to like this show. It just seems that the poor writing and the sometimes cheap looking effects make it just look low rent.

It also doesn't help that I really haven't come to care about almost any of the characters. I like Coulson: he's really playing things as an action hero from the 1980s: he has a no compromises, no backing down in the face of anything attitude that I like. I just don't think anyone else on the show is at that level.

If Agents is going to stick around, it's going to have to establish it's own identity. We'll see.

Now the mid-season show "Peggy Carter: Agent of SHIELD" sounds potentially very promising if they can pull it off. A big "we'll see," I suppose.

Remove ads