All Marvel TV Shows, Ranked

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I have Wandavision down a notch from this. I think the concept, premise, ideas, and the acting are all top-tier, but the actual execution was a bit hit and miss. The premise of starting in a series of sitcoms was brilliant, but they didn't really do enough with it.

I agree, in that the last three episodes did not live up to the promise of the first six (and the "final fight" with Wanda and ... well no spoilers ... flying around pew pew pewing at each other was just such a terrible way to end the show) ... but I'm fine with it up there, because it was pretty daring in terms of launching the D+ shows, and they've carried through with that original promise.

IMO, there is a clear "best" show on D+ so far (Ms. Marvel), and then the next four best shows (Wandavision, Loki, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk) are all in some arguable order. Heck, I could see someone making an argument for Hawkeye in there as well ...but, you know ... Hawkeye.

Just. Not. The Falcon and the Winter Solider. That was perfectly cromulent, but no more.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Just. Not. The Falcon and the Winter Solider. That was perfectly cromulent, but no more.
I think it was good, but it was also the most conventional of the Disney+ Marvel shows with respect to storytelling. And while I thought it raised some very interesting issues in a post-snap recovery world and with respect to Black perspectives on American symbols, its conventionality was a bit limiting compared to its peers.

MGibster

Legend
The original problem that it had was that it both tried to "tie in" to the movie MCU while also not being able to do anything that really involved the MCU. Oh, plus the usual issues you get when you have 22 episode seasons on broadcast TV.
This is a tangent, but I was trying to watch Season 10 of The Walking Dead after a long hiatus, and 10-11 episodes in I was started getting sick of it. It's not the strongest season, but that's not what was bothering me, I just wanted them to get on with the plot and wrap things up. I don't typically binge watch, but I've gotten to the point where I much prefer smaller seasons with 10 or so episodes to the standard 22 or so I grew up with.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think it was good, but it was also the most conventional of the Disney+ Marvel shows with respect to storytelling. And while I thought it raised some very interesting issues in a post-snap recovery world and with respect to Black perspectives on American symbols, its conventionality was a bit limiting compared to its peers.

Yeah. It was perfectly cromulent. I watched it. It was fine.

In fairness, if it had aired ten years ago, it might have been one of the best things on TV. That's how high the bar is today. But the narrative was straightforward and uncomplicated. The story beats were telegraphed well in advance. It gave the appearance of presenting complicated issues while only presenting that- the appearance; it never really struggled with any issues beyond the most surface-level, "after-school special" way.

Even now, I can think of things I loved from all the other MCU shows (yes, even Hawkeye!) but when it comes to TFATWS I draw a blank. It happened. The Falcon is Cap now. That's pretty much it.

Can't hit them all out of the park.

The issue with Falcon and Winter Soldier is that the original plot involved a global pandemic where the government was being blamed for letting people die, and Disney got spooked and cut out the whole motivation for the 'villains' to be fighting against the government. So it became a rather generic 'we want open borders just because,' which cut down the thematic impact of the story.

Richards

Legend
I'm with you most of the way as far as your list goes, Snarf (although I never saw Legion, so I'll have to take your word for it), with a few minor exceptions.

1. Ms. Marvel mostly bored the tears out of me. I like the comic book character, I was willing to accept the major changes they made to her powers for the show, but dang it, when I tune in to a superhero show I want to see some superheroing. I liked the first episode when she was figuring out her powers, and the last episode finally gave us some of the super-powered fights I was waiting to see, but most the episodes in between I felt were just plain boring. The actress did a good job with what she was given, I just didn't much like what she was given. (Still, if she gets a season two I'll give it a shot.)

2. I'd have to rate Loki at least a tier lower than you have it, because I felt he was practically a spectator in his own show. He didn't do much on his own at all, merely follow around his female variant. A pretty big waste of his talent, I thought (both the actor and the character).

3. Likewise, I'd bump The Punisher up a tier - maybe swapping it with Loki would be about right. (Although overall, I think I enjoyed Marvel's Agents of SHIELD more than Loki, come to think of it.) There have been many attempts to do Frank Castle right in live action; this is the one that finally does him justice.

So, when was the last time you took COLLOSSON THE NUMBERWANG ROBOT in for a tune-up?

Johnathan

p_johnston

Adventurer
Wow this reminds me I need to finish agents of shield. I got all the way to season 6 I wanna say and before the streaming service I was using reached the end of the month and I wasn't willing to renew just for that. Kinda want to finish it up though.

Only real quibble is that I wouldn't put Loki that high. For most of it's runtime the show was fun and interesting. A few problems but overall really good. And then the season final was just... so bad. Maybe a season 2 can redeem it for me but for now I actually think Loki is my least favorite of the Disney + offerings so far.

Haplo781

Legend
Yeah. It was perfectly cromulent. I watched it. It was fine.

In fairness, if it had aired ten years ago, it might have been one of the best things on TV. That's how high the bar is today. But the narrative was straightforward and uncomplicated. The story beats were telegraphed well in advance. It gave the appearance of presenting complicated issues while only presenting that- the appearance; it never really struggled with any issues beyond the most surface-level, "after-school special" way.

Even now, I can think of things I loved from all the other MCU shows (yes, even Hawkeye!) but when it comes to TFATWS I draw a blank. It happened. The Falcon is Cap now. That's pretty much it.

Can't hit them all out of the park.
Zemo dancing.

Vael

Legend
Honestly, the main takeaway I've had from all the D+ Marvel shows is they have trouble sticking the landing. Loki, and Wandavision, definitely, were super strong up to the finale. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier wasn't as good initially, but really faceplanted with Sam's speech and ... most of the finale. Ms. Marvel was ... fine ... I just didn't care for the movie tie-in cliffhanger. Hawkeye was probably the best in this regard. Still mulling over She-Hulk, not sure how I feel about it yet.

Remove ads