D&D 5E It's October 1. Do you known where your spell cards are?

Uhh, I didn't post that Tormyr, not sure who did. Regardless, I don't see them replacing the decks. The overwhelming majority of Arcane spells, that are not instantaneous evocations, are concentration. That's a host of cards to fix.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Uhh, I didn't post that Tormyr, not sure who did. Regardless, I don't see them replacing the decks. The overwhelming majority of Arcane spells, that are not instantaneous evocations, are concentration. That's a host of cards to fix.

Huh, I have a wierd thing going on when I reply to a post in this thread that puts an earlier post of yours in the mix. I cut out the wrong link (link to your post, content of the other post). I fixed that reply, but even as I started replying to this, it included your earlier post. I think I have some multi-reply checked earlier in the thread.

EDIT: Yep. Wow, those multi-reply check marks stay even between visits to the boards.

For those who are planning on keeping their cards, just writing a "C" next to the duration would probably do the most to aid gameplay. But then you have to mark the cards.

In the meantime, if you do not need a long list of spells, you can make your own fairly quickly.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1119

The cards are laminated, so I'm marking my cards with a "C" next to duration. Really, is that so hard? I get it, it would have been better had they had Concentration listed on the cards but adding a "C" with a wet erase pen is so painless.

BB

trystero

Explorer
I just got an e-mail response from GF9's parent company, Battleforce Games. They confirm that the omission of "Concentration" in the duration entries was intentional, to save space, and suggest that all spells with "up to" in the duration are concentration spells. (Which is mostly true, though not entirely, as etherealness and a couple of cantrips are exceptions.)

So it doesn't seem likely that the cards will be reprinted. Well, I tried: guess it's time to find a marker or some nice tiny stickers and annotate the cards myself.

Grainger

Explorer
Missing card?

I've just been stickering my cards to indicate Concentration and Ritual; I used small coloured stickers from a stationary shop; it didn't take very long with the help of the online spell list linked upthread. However...

I noticed I'm missing the Arcane deck card for Mislead (level 5 spell). I wonder if it's just missing from my deck, or from all copies. Other owners: do you have this card?

trystero

Explorer
Missing card?
I noticed I'm missing the Arcane deck card for Mislead (level 5 spell). I wonder if it's just missing from my deck, or from all copies. Other owners: do you have this card?

I don't have a 5th-level mislead card, either.

Edit: I've e-mailed GF9 to ask about this, too.

Last edited:

Grainger

Explorer
Many thanks for doing this [MENTION=67247]trystero[/MENTION].

By the way, I'm not saying that is the only missing card. I didn't notice any others, but I was only looking for Ritual and Concentration spells. For levels 6 onwards, I did check all the cards, and I'm pretty sure they're all there for those levels.

trystero

Explorer
I went through the full Arcane deck and didn't find anything missing except mislead. I'll check the Paladin and Ranger decks when I have time.

Thanks for pointing out the omitted card, [MENTION=6779234]Grainger[/MENTION]; I don't know that I'd have noticed that on my own.

trystero

Explorer
I used the latest version of Ari Marmell's Spell Sorter spreadsheet to check the spell counts for the various classes' spell lists against the cards and the counts advertised on the decks' tuckbox back covers.

The Paladin deck should have 45 spells according to the PHB's Paladin spell list: the tuckbox's back cover says the deck has 44 cards, and mine does indeed have 44. The card that's missing is for the 5th-level spell destructive wave (PHB p. 231), which is erroneously called destructive smite in the Paladin spell list (PHB p. 209).

The Ranger deck should have 46 spells according to the PHB's Ranger spell list; mine has 46 cards, matching the count on the tuckbox's back cover, and doesn't seem to be missing anything.

The Arcane deck should have 231 cards according to the PHB's Sorceror, Warlock, and Wizard spell lists: those lists actually include 232 spells, but the designers have confirmed on Twitter that trap the soul should have been removed from the lists (as it's not described in the PHB). My Arcane deck lists a count of 230 cards on the tuckbox's back cover, and I count 230 cards. So it looks as though mislead is the only arcane spell that's missing.

(Note for anyone who wants to check my work: the Arcane deck doesn't include cards for spells granted by Warlock patron special abilities, like command or dissonant whispers: it only includes spells which appear on the Sorceror, Warlock, and Wizard spell lists. On Ari's spreadsheet, filtering for blank values in the "Sub-Class" column excludes these special-ability spells.)

Remove ads