D&D 5E [D&D 5e] It's a Brand New World [FULL]

Phoenix8008

First Post
At sea on the way to or from Kingsport? Kingsport would work fine for my Paladin. All he needs is time to touch base with a temple of Tyr to get official sanctioned as a Paladin. That could happen before we start the adventure. Or it could not happen until he's level 3 and actually taking his Oath. Or if the boat is on the way to Kingsport instead, this could actually be the boat that rescues him from his deserted island! I think the barbarian/wizard (or was it warlock?) wanted to be somewhat established at the magic academy though, so she wouldn't be on her way there still I'd think. Unless she gets sent on some errand or fetch quest by sea and the others are on the ship or get picked up along the way. Sounds a bit more natural than having us all magically show up in the tavern on the same night as is custom in many of these beginnings.

industrygothica

Adventurer
There is something comfortingly iconic about starting an adventure in a tavern, after all. Alas, this will not be a comfortingly iconic adventure.

I've been thinking of reasons to get Nissa away from Blackthorn and on a boat, and you read my mind when you said fetch quest. That's probably what will happen.

So let's do this:

Nissa, you're on your way to Silverport, at the request of your sponsor at Blackthorn, to procure some rare herbs grown specifically in that region. As for what, or why, I'll leave that to you.

Everyone else, please explain in your character bios how you ended up in Kingsport, and why you're boarding the ship in route to Silverport.

-IG

sithramir

First Post
I'm an herbalist. Seems that would be an easy tie in. Since I would also be based in Blackthorn perhaps I overheard the request and offered to join?

Perhaps I know Nissa and feel empathy with her since I have hermit background and she was an outcast.

So it makes perfect sense for me to go along. I might have seen her with me in one of my visions

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
[MENTION=12183]sithramir[/MENTION], that sounds pretty okie dokie to me. It might even be that your character is the one with the task and invited Nissa along in an effort to get her out of her shell or some such.

Phoenix8008

First Post
[MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION], Question for the DM. I could go either way with having Justice have already previously arrived in Kingsport and then be leaving again, or if it could be worked out it would be fun if they rescue him during this sea voyage to Silverport. Maybe he built a raft and got off the island and this ship found him. As long as he gets to civilization at some point to make contact with a temple of Tyr to become an 'official' Paladin... and maybe that's not even needed really. Maybe he doesn't need to make his Oath to them. It can be more personal and private since it's more about revenge painted over with a facade of justice.

Do you have a preference for finding him at sea during the voyage or him already being in Kingsport and getting on board for some other reason?

industrygothica

Adventurer
Up to you, really. You're going to initially be stranded on the same island as Silverport, right? Might be interesting to have you finally fight your way off the island, only to have something happen and be forced to turn back. Ultimately, however you want to play it is fine. We'll get it worked out.

-IG

Phoenix8008

First Post
Actually, I was planning on him being stuck on a smaller unknown island off the coast and out of sight of that main island. Big enough island to have animals for food, but not inhabited any longer. Don't know why there was a small chapel to Tyr built there. Unless that one Paladin of Tyr was marooned there too and built that chapel himself before eventually dying there only to be found by my PC. He could have eventually decided to risk the currents and put himself in the hands of the gods by building a raft and trying to escape the island. Maybe his Navigation skills told him the best time of the year that the currents would likely send him in the right direction. Then he could be rescued at sea by the boat that the characters are on at the start of the adventure. That sounds best to me, how about you?

sithramir

First Post
[MENTION=12183]sithramir[/MENTION], that sounds pretty okie dokie to me. It might even be that your character is the one with the task and invited Nissa along in an effort to get her out of her shell or some such.
I like this idea that my epiphany and secret brings my character and yours out of their shells on a mission.

@IG what do you think? Can you think on what the secret is and if that makes sense to get us leaving the academy?

Remove ads