All the superhero movies!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We now have 39 of them over the next few years! Wow. That's a lot of superhero movies. It may be possible that I might get tired of them before this is up...

CA_Supermovies_10-28-2014-2.jpg

delericho

Legend
Can't see these all happening. Sooner or later, people are going to max out on superheroes, especially if they're all running ongoing series (or, worse, several interlocking series). In particular, if "Fantastic Four" doesn't do well I would expect that line to end, and I fear for the Spidey-verse if "Sinister Six" goes the same way as "Amazing Spider-man 2".

(I'm also far from convinced DC are on the right track with their films, as I don't think "Man of Steel" is a good foundation to be building on. But I'm sure they'll do something with those characters, so even if "Dawn of Justice" bombs there will probably still be films in those spots, even if not those specific titles.)

Conversely, Marvel's 'main-line' appears to be unstoppable, and the X-films look to be back on track after a few weak entries.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
It's really amazing, considering that when I was a kid (70s-80s), you had really crappy made for TV quality superhero movies. (With the exception of the Superman movies, I guess)

Even in 1990, you had that Captain America movie (which I actually liked a lot, but it was very low budget, like an episode of Hunter or something)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
C

Conversely, Marvel's 'main-line' appears to be unstoppable, and the X-films look to be back on track after a few weak entries.

I mentioned this is another thread, but Marvel's shared universe stuff only has 50% hit rate with me; and the other stuff (Hulks, Wolverines, Spideys, X-Men) far less than 50%. I can only see that reducing as I tire of the formula.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's only about four movies a year; not unreasonable. Ever check out how many Westerns were being put out a year in the 50's? People might get tired of it, but we'll see. Ride the train while it's running!

Mallus

Legend
Can we get a Wallace Shawn Kickstarter started? After all these superhero films, I think I'm gonna need a few movies where it's just interesting people, like, talking over dinner.

(I'd settle for more Vizinni, too, if that's all we can get funded...).

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Can we get a Wallace Shawn Kickstarter started? After all these superhero films, I think I'm gonna need a few movies where it's just interesting people, like, talking over dinner.

(I'd settle for more Vizinni, too, if that's all we can get funded...).
You could watch Scenes from a Marriage by Igmar Bergman. Almost 5 hours of dialogue!

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Well, one key to keeping the movies from sucking is to keep Kurtzman and Orci out of the projects: they are a pair of hacks who like to void their bowels on other people's childhood delights, and serve it up to them with a spoon saying "this is yummy: eat it up." (Transformers, JJA Trek, Spiderman2...)
As for the rest, there will be some good, some bad, some that are bland and unmemorable, and some that will be overlooked and under-rated. Just like always.

Hussar

Legend
What's wrong with Spider-Man 2? I just saw it and thought it was fun. Looking at the wiki site it made buckets of money.

Why would you call it out as a failure?

Remove ads