D&D 3E/3.5 HeroForge Anew (D&D 3.5 Character Builder)

Heliomance

First Post
Some of you may know of HeroForge. For those that don't, it's an amazingly useful Excel-based character builder for D&D 3.5. It keeps track of nearly everything you could possibly want it to when building a character, it calculates for you all that can be automatically calculated. It can track temporary changes to stats caused by buffs, it can tell you whether you qualify for feats and prestige classes - it's all around probably the most useful character building tool I've ever come across.

Sadly, development on it seems to have died, and no new content has been added for a long time. I decided that wasn't good enough.

As I couldn't get in contact with the original developers to get added to the team, I've split off my own copy, and am now announcing that HeroForge is alive again, as HeroForge Anew! You can download it here, and I hope you find it as useful as I have!

HeroForge Anew - now with Incarnum support!

Ranes

Adventurer
I confess to being incapable of creating or editing anything but the simplest spreadsheet. When I do need one, I use Apple's Numbers or Google Sheets. Heroforge Anew does not appear to be entirely compatible with either (the sheet opens in Google Sheets but with errors; Numbers just falls over). Is it possible to convert it to work with either of these programs? Would it be a major undertaking? I've looked for information on how to convert Excel formulas to Numbers but all I've found are a few specific examples that are of little help to a noob like me. I used to be able to use the spreadsheet at work, where I had access to Excel, but I'm now self-employed and consequently Heroforge-less.

Heliomance

First Post
Unfortunately, it has very heavy VBA scripting, that's the bit that's making it not work. Converting it to work with non-Office programs would be an immense undertaking, and I'm afraid I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start. Sorry about that!

Ranes

Adventurer
Thank you for the quick reply. I thought VBA heavy-lifting might be at the heart of the issue. Well, please continue the good work and I'll look at buying into Office just for Excel!

TwistedFaith

Explorer
Hi Heliomance I've used HeroForge for quite a while now and I love the fact that your continuing the work that the other Devs have left. And if I was any better at VBA coding or anything other then Basic Excel Formulas I would love to help. But I do have a small Suggestion that shouldn't be much of a problem for you as it seams. Can you add 5 sheets for basically additional inventory space. 1 for Handy Haversack and 4 for each type of Bag Of Holding. That I know isn't the hard part the hard part is getting them to activate/deactivate from the Options sheet or maybe when you add those items to your Inventory on Character Sheet 2 those sheets activate. The first part I do to my own copy of HF and the second part I have no idea where to even begin.

Heliomance

First Post
Five sheets of extra inventory space seems a little excessive! Personally I can't be bothered to do the design work to make a decent looking inventory page, but if you want to make up something that looks good I guess I can add it in easily enough. As for SpellForge, I'm afraid I don't know much about that. Torrasque666 on the Giant in the Playground forums was talking about resurrecting it, but that might have been squished by the HeroForge thread over there getting locked because the mods decided it came under the heading of copyright violations.

Remove ads