D&D 5E IG's "It's a Brand New World" [IC]

industrygothica

Adventurer
OOC: Now that I'm home and have my books in front of me...

The fog cloud will have initially created a heavily obscured area, effectively blinding those within. Due to the wind at sea, however, it likely wouldn't have lasted too long--just enough to allow the others to board without much trouble. We'll hand-wave this and say that the fog is already dispersing and no longer a viable issue, but the others have already managed to board the ship.

As for rolling, invisible castle is always great if it's online. If not, use your imagination. I don't particularly care for the internal die roller here because my Tapatalk doesn't process the code correctly when I check in from my phone.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Inserting rolls:

[sblock=ooc]Okay! IC it is:

Attack is 1d20+5=17, damage if successful is 1d6+3=5 (+1d6=1 (boo!) for 6 total with SA) [/sblock]

Garrison is swift to act. He draws the short sword by his side, and moves into the melee, his predator instincts drawing him to the most vulnerable.

"Put down your weapons if you want to live," he calls. "All armed boarders will be killed."

Once he is in position, he swings with his short sword.

sithramir

First Post
Aedon would prefer to cast a sleep spell on the group if it's possible before too many people are in melee? Can that be done?

[roll0] (20 for Tapatalk)

Phoenix8008

First Post
Justice stays on the deck of the Sea Bride, ready to repel borders if they are under attack. He furrows his brow in confusion as the Captain orders a mage to drop a spell of fog on the deck of the other ship and then orders his forces to board the other vessel. He holds his ground near the Captain and tries to figure out what's going on.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Initiative roll = 13+0= 13. Invisible Castle down again, so I had a friend pick a random number from 1-20. He picked 13. Justice stays put while trying to figure out what's happening. He's not super smart though, so he want's to be sure before jumping one way or the other.[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
Maighan hesitates; it makes no sense. Why would they set their own windcatcher alight to try to attack someone else? But when arrows start coming in as they approach, questions become academic. Then the question was...why were they still going TOWARDS the other ship? Surely the sane thing to do now was simply leave. They couldn't catch them...not with their windcatcher out of commission.

Was everything in the world outside ruled by madness?

The fog made it hard to see what to do momentarily, but as it thinned she saw an opening. They were coming across only on one bridge. A tactical error.

Maighan put her bow aside and took up her staff, topped with its totem. She planted it against the planks of the deck and reached her will through it, into the old wood. In the secret language of spirits and druids she whispered...reminded them of warm days, of sunlight on their leaves, and sap flowing through its grain. Once you lived, she said...remember.

The wood of the ship deck and the plank bridge the boarding party was using began to writhe; to undulate. Branches sprouted and twined, and curved up and around to begin tangling the legs of the boarders and those behind them still waiting to come across.

(Casting Entangle centered on a point where it hits the boarders and the area behind them (ie not any allies and as little of our own ship as is possible). DC is 15.)

Init: [roll0]

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
As the two ships closed in on one another, J'hanna knelt just long enough to strap her helmet in place. She didn't pretend to understand just what was going on here- was the other ship hostile? was it just some kind of big misunderstanding?

As the fog blew away, she stood, close to her own group, and as close to the wheel of her own ship as possible. She made no move to advance towards the boarders, instead standing ready to defend her compatriots.

OOC: Invisible Castle is still down, rolled initiative by hand; 1d20+0= 4. J'hanna will Ready an action, to attack the first enemy to enter her range, but she will not advance unles one of the other Kingsport folks does so first.

industrygothica

Adventurer
OOC: Sorry for the delay in getting some questions answered...

The fog has caused enough of a distraction to allow 6 men from the other ship to board Weeping Mary. These men are spread out and prepared to attack. A sleep spell might get some of them, but it will likely affect some of your own crew as well. The Entangle spell might snare the last of the 6, and delay any future boarders for a time, but that will still leave 5 deck after Maighan 's turn.

As I said, there's really not a need for initiative this first battle--first to post is the first to act. As it stands now, Aedon might put some people to sleep while Maighan holds up the boarding. Garrison is waiting for the chance to sneak attack while J'hanna stands her ground. Nissa and Justice are surveying the scene trying to determine WTF is going on here.

I'd also like to take a second to remind folks to keep OOC text wrapped in an OOC wrapper or in the OOC thread, just to avoid confusion.

I want to give [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12183]sithramir[/MENTION] a chance to update given the information above before we move on. If anyone else needs to retcon anything, feel free... just let me know so I don't overlook it.

sithramir

First Post
Aedon will not waste a spell if he can't hit only the other ships crew. Instead he will move furthest from the melee and watch the scene play out. If that takes less than normal movement then he is using the dodge action.

Shayuri

First Post
(Maighan's main aim was to stall additional boarders for the time being. Catching the 6 that got on is secondary...she'd want to get as many as she could, but only if the spell still blocks the boarding ramp as well)

Remove ads