Fantasy Grounds

Spoofer

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Fantasy Grounds

I play 5E D&D with Fg. The automation (for example, forcing an attacker to roll with disadvantage against an opponent who took the dodge action) is priceless. But I really want to give a rating of about 4.5. I really wish there was more "official" documentation. Instead, there is a large number of user-made resources. However, these resources are plenty good enough, and the community is always very quick to answer questions. Because of the awesome way that the community has answers my many questions, I decided to go with a 5 instead of a 4.

Agamon

Adventurer
3 out of 5 rating for Fantasy Grounds

Tough to find room on the screen for everything the software offers and game prep to take advantage of the perks of the system is very time consuming.

Tanek

Explorer

My players are scattered all across the country and we've been using this fantastic software for close to 8 years now. Absolutely love the power of it and the "tabletop feel" it has. Couldn't recommend it more!

WarRabbit

Explorer

I have played and GM'd in multiple campaigns with people located all over the world and greatly enjoy the experience. The software has been continuously updated since I started using it years ago.

Mask_of_winter

First Post

The Fantasy Grounds has sustained my gaming habit for six years now. This software is flexible and powerful. It does come with a learning curve but the community goes out of it's way to help you. What's sets it apart from other VTTs is it's degree of automation and integrated macros out of the box. The character sheet is can be filled out by dropping elements already built for you. The combat tracker not only keeps tracking of the initiative order but does most of the book keeping duties for you. For maps and tokens you are not limited to what's in the store. You can use any jpeg or png files you find or make. And if you're a coder you'll have a field day with this software. You will need a license to run games but if you want to join a game and your GM has the Ultimate license you can play for free. Come try it out during the next FG Con when anybody can play for free.

primarchone

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Fantasy Grounds

I have used Fantasy grounds for over 5 years and have also used most other VTT's available on the market. Simply put from the point of view of someone whom runs the game almost exclusively, the interface is excellent. Fantasy Grounds is one of the few VTT's where you can make a self contain module in digital form that has illustrations, NPC/monsters, maps and keyed entries to the story all bundled up in one neat little package. While there is no doubt it requires effort to achieve such a thing, the ability to do so is priceless. Since the GM can make his own library of adventures/modules which can be repeatedly used or shared. Related to module are the ability to make "library books" of game data. This too is invaluable to the GM. A properly made library module can save you time and enormous effort running the game. Some rulesets have parsing utilities which make that data "game ready" and with a simple click and drag can be made instantly available. The impact on a gaming session cannot be underestimated.While there are many smaller, but equally useful features (the dice for example are the best of any VTT), it is their usefulness to save time during a session that are key. The character sheet, a main way to interact within Fantasy Grounds includes tabs and many "shortcuts" within it to automate features (die rolling etc) as well as list abilities, backgrounds as well as mehcanical info (stats). FG uses a wonderful non-obstrusive link system (little red box with a white dragon) for which players and GM's can link almost any type of information to glance at with but a click of a mouse button. The ability to share these links is also a very useful tool for when questions arise about a given game feature. A mere double click on the title can share it for all to read. The only negative I would list (although I consider it to be a large one), is that, as of now it does not have a ruleset builder. If you happen to play some of the more popular games this will not be an issue. However if you try game systems with less support you will find that not have a proper ruleset that automates certain this a hinderance. There is a core RPG file which is modifyable, but the more you stray from d20 mechanics the harder it will be to get something suitable. Scripting and coding is not something most people will do.Primarchone

crowsfoot

Explorer

With the right group of gamers, this software is the best online gaming experience. Visually pleasing and robust enough to handle many gaming systems, this has become my favorite software. I can have a full campaign experience on any schedule with gamers around the globe. There is a learning curve but the end result is a superior experience for players and masters alike.

BoomerET

First Post

I had a mentor account on Roll20, I own an 7-seat license for d20Pro and I've tried MapTools.I have an Ultimate license for Fantasy Grounds, and have been a player many more times than I've DM'd.It's my VTT of choice over all the others I've tried, and it keeps getting better.The user-created tools are coming around to support D&D 5E quite nicely now, making this the hands-down winner for D&D 5E.

jh79

First Post

I have tried many virtual table tops to play d&d with friends online, this vtt is way above the rest imo. Real physics dice you pick up and roll, the ability to share maps and immersive pictures with players, math is done for you when you attack and damage monsters depending on what you hit them with, Story edit mode to create your masterpiece dungeon. Different rpg systems installed. I use 5e d&d, and it has the cool buttons like advantage/disadvantage you click and auto rolls 2 d20's, and the list goes on. I rate Fantasy Grounds the highest 5 stars.

Last edited:

Remove ads