D&D 5E The Secret Under the Stairs [OOC]

Zansy

Explorer
I can understand that the potential is there for great role playing moments, perhaps even insightfully analogous in some regard. I'm just wary for the sake of keeping things that make Terry stand out stay so, I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right or just sounding selfish :S

EDIT: I think that after the initial shock + some insight it's a little Easier to take in- but you can understand why I'm wary when I said what I wanted to play (page 1) and slowly I notice
others' character overlap - or alternatively, overlook - those concepts?:uhoh: I never know for sure if to be intimidated and say hey that's my idea, or smile and ask them to coordinate with me.

Last edited:

Rubberneck

First Post
Yah I was hardly trying to steal your thunder. Since I'm having so much issues trying to think of a pact I might go a seperate route. Eldrich Knight perhaps? This way I'm not stepping on toes or trying to strain myself to think of a pact. Sound good?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
If I'm being honest, I understand what you are saying [MENTION=6788194]Zansy[/MENTION] but don't exactly agree. I've played a lot of games here on ENW and also CM and generally you will find a lot of people will just play what they want even if it overlaps with someone else. In most cases, it doesn't matter at all, especially when you have a great GM (which we do)!

I've played games with all rogues, I'm currently in a game with mostly pirates and Kira's other game [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] and I are both playing rogues... all these have very similar backgrounds but there is so much wiggle room inside the classes. There is a lot of difference between an illusionist and a necromancer yet they are both wizards. Spell and skill choices, along with the personality you choose makes everything!

Now, admittedly I don't know much about 5e Warlocks so I do not know how much overlay two of them might have - though I would think their pacts would make a huge difference. They still have choice of skills and personality and possibly feats and what have you so there should be enough room to make more than one work.

Similarly, since our (yours and mine) characters are family and we are starting off in the same exact "normal" situation as people living in middle class suburbs, there is and should be overlap to our backgrounds. Dad was in the military and is a Veterinarian and Mom is a Pilates instructor are both different within the same confines. That they have kids who both play sports seems reasonable.

You mentioned Terry being a bully (or former bully, that is unclear?), a college senior who got kicked out of school so is a former football player and is currently working at a fast food joint. How old is he, 21ish? Brad is listed as charming, affable and currently playing high school football in the town our family just moved into - Chesterfield, Mass. He's probably 16ish. While they have football in common their characters actually sound pretty different to me with the football (past and current) being the similar thing. Unless there is something else I'm not seeing?

I don't mention all this to argue. I bring it up because if you will stick around to play PBP here you will find a lot of crossover from a lot of players and some won't be too nice about it. I have no doubt [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] would change his background, especially if [MENTION=6755061]Kiraya_TiDrekan[/MENTION] wants him too, but what exactly is acceptable here? Can he play soccer or basketball? Or does he not have to play sports in high school? Someone please clarify that part. :)

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
I can understand that the potential is there for great role playing moments, perhaps even insightfully analogous in some regard. I'm just wary for the sake of keeping things that make Terry stand out stay so, I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right or just sounding selfish :S

EDIT: I think that after the initial shock + some insight it's a little Easier to take in- but you can understand why I'm wary when I said what I wanted to play (page 1) and slowly I notice
others' character overlap - or alternatively, overlook - those concepts?:uhoh: I never know for sure if to be intimidated and say hey that's my idea, or smile and ask them to coordinate with me.

What Rubberneck said. As well as Queenie. But while there are certain similarities, I think your character and mine inhabit very different spaces, especially once we go through the Looking Glass. Even with two Warlocks, there can and will be very different styles of how you play and act, beyond even what the pacts grant. So, don't worry too much. But if Rubberneck does change classes, our similar origins will only serve to strengthen the party, not weaken any one player's role.

Zansy

Explorer
Hmmmm....
You guys raise good points, I'm still wary of overlap, though having a unifying aspect, I.e. the same background or arranging all fighter party is not entirely similar from several players picking overlapping problems. I've played in an all wizard group too, and we never had to deal with having more than one in our midst...
But if you all are saying I shouldn't worry about it, then I trust you. assuming we proceed with a hint of caution. :)

I, um.... Believe some coordination may be in order, nonetheless ^_^;

Fenris

Adventurer
Exactly. I don't think it will be an issue honestly. Your character will be his own person, even if we have two warlocks, your pacts will make you different, and how you play them will be different. Heck, maybe the two of you develop a friendly rivalry. I can see a good natured series of nasty comments about the others pact masters after they flub something. :)

Oh and I believe you asked about the Chesterfield Chargers? I made the High School mascots the Chargers since it fit with the whole Tempest thing, and since there was only one other player with a high school character, it didn't really affect anyone else, and makes the dual nature of Brad very poetic.

But yes we do need a little coordination, as far as the family goes and how we all are in the house the same day/time etc.

Rubberneck

First Post
Well my character is a friend of the family. He served with the father of the family, Simon, but they took different routes once they were out of the war. He became a veterinarian while my character became a Police Officer. We could have met while enlisted or we could have been friends that joined up together. Doesn't matter to me. Either way I'm guessing Simon requested some help moving and that's why my character is there.

Remove ads