Pathfinder 1E High-level Pathfinder Planar Game: The Lich-Queen's Beloved

HERE is an article about the race builder rules that I think is interesting and relevant. Plus, it's illustrated (so maybe one of you will find a pic for inspiration).

Sometimes I like to find the artwork for my character first and draft mechanics based on details in the art. Googling both "oil portrait," and "watercolor portrait," and browsing DeviantArt are my go-to resources when that's the route I want to take.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Tailspinner, that is an awesome pic! [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION] should see that, as in LPF he is running a summoner with a tree man eidalon! (post 53 GlassEye, if you look.)

Shayuri

First Post
So, this is kind of an odd duck...a utility/blaster sorceror who really doesn't mind being in melee too much, thanks to a very good AC and a pretty decent melee attack potential. Note that the Amulet of Mighty Fists is enchanted with +1, and Holy, giving her unarmed strike a Good alignment, and causing it to do 3d6 damage to evil foes. Put that up with Arcane Strike (a swift action per round) and the +1 enhancement, and she does 3d6+5 damage barehanded to evil. If both flurry attacks hit, that's 6d6+10 damage, and costs no spell slots.

This is acceptable to me.

Her AC with Shield active is 41. Touch AC is 32. For attacks that don't target AC she has Spell Turning and a Will save bonus of +28. Tanky mage. That said, if anything DOES manage to damage her, it won't take a -lot- of damage to put her down.

Tried to mix up her damage types. Fire and Force are her big two, but there's a Disintegrate in there to keep things real. She can Empower a Scorching Ray for about 18d6 damage (if we add the 50% in dice) to a single target if all rays hit...and then Quicken another Empowered Scorching Ray for the same. If she wants to throw a 7th and an 8th level slot at something she can Empower a Battering Blast for 22d6 and then Quicken the Scorching Ray for another 18d6 for a grand total of 40dice of damage, plus a bull rush at +57 against the target. I have a big fancy spell description ready for when she uncorks that move. :)

She's weaker on area effects. Dragon Breath is her go-to, as it has a wide range of energy types and spell shapes available and can be empowered to 18 dice. Flame Strike is her only targeted AoE (as opposed to an AoE centered on her location), and empowers to 22 dice.

Her high level zaps are save-dies. Disintegrate. Polymorph Any Object. Against undead, Sunburst is devastating. She has Sunray as a spell-like too, thanks to being an aasimar and taking a feat. In fact, between that and the Empyreal bloodline's channeling ability, she's pretty potent against undead in general.

Utility spells. Greater invis. Greater Heroism. Greater Dispel. Greater Teleport. A few trifles like Wall of Stone, Resist Energy, Analyze Dweomer, and the like. A bit limited on mobility spells overall. She has a flight speed from a feat, and can teleport, so...what's left? :)

Waffling a bit on 5th level and 2nd level spell picks. Most are set, but there's one each I'm vacillating on. That'll be rounded up soon.

Equipmentwise, nothing terribly weird for this level. Robe of the Archmagi, Ring of Protection, various stat boosts. Of interest are the shroud, which gives her constant See Invisible and a duration-limited incorporeality power, as well as her staff.

The shroud is is her 'getaway' move when grappled or restrained. Greater Teleport can be used as well, but that's a high level slot. Seeing the invisible means she can always target her Glitterdust accurately as well. The staff is a Staff of the Planes, and is my excuse for her being wandering around the Astral Plane without spending spell picks on Plane Shift and the like. A very cool and flavorful item that I gave up another +2 to Wisdom to afford, with no regrets. :)

Storywise, Mei Ying is an Eastern flavored sorceress who believes herself to be the offspring of a goddess, and who seeks to fulfill that birthright. Of course, in this case the divinity she seeks is one springing from enlightenment and unity with the cosmos, so she's not a manically scheming megalomaniac. So far. The pantheon she follows is a Celestial Bureaucracy type thing, based loosely on Chinese folklore, so there's loads and loads of gods, who interact relatively freely with mortals within their purviews, and immortality can be achieved with sufficient trials and sacrifice.

I present:

[sblock=Mei Ying]
Lawful good aasimar monk1/sorceror17

Str 10
Dex 16/22 10
Con 14 5
Int 10
Wis 24/30 10 (base 16+2 race +4 level +2 inherent)
Cha 16/22 3 (base 13 +2 race + 1 inherent)

AC 37 (10 + 6 dex + 10 wis + 1 dodge + 5 armor + 5 deflection)
BAB +8/+3
HP 101
Fort 13
Ref 17
Will 28

Race
Aasimar
+2 Wis/Cha
Native Outsider/Humanoid (Human)
Darkvision 60
Deathless Spirit: Resist neg energy 5, +2 vs death effects/neg energy/necro, neg lvls don't reduce HP
+2 Diplomacy + 2 Perception
Daylight or Sunbeam (1 ray only, DC 25) 2/day
Scion of Humanity (can pass for human, does not gain Celestial language, alters subtype)

Class:
Monk
Bonus feat
Flurry of Blows (-1/-1)
Unarmed strike 1d6
Stunning Fist 5/day (DC 29?)

Empyreal Sorceror
Cantrips
Eschew Materials
Bloodline: Use Wis instead of Cha for sorc spellcasting/abilities
- Spells: Bless, Resist Energy, Mg Circle, Rem Curse, Flame strike, gtr dispel, banish, sunburst
- Feats
- Powers
1 Heavenly Fire: 1d4+8 dmg to evil, heal to good, 3+wismod/day
3 Resist Acid/Cold 10
9 Channel energy as cleric CL13 1/day
15 Conviction (reroll 1/day ability, attack, save or skill)

Traits
- Affable (+2 to gather info, do it in half time, Diplo and Know Local are class skills)
- Spellpiercer (+2 concentration checks)

Feats
1 Angelic blood (+2 vs evil/stabilize)
H
Mnk Deflect Arrows
3 Arcane Strike
5 Spell Penetration
7 Empower Spell
BL Dodge
9 Heavenly Radiance: Sunbeam
11 Angelic wings (fly speed 30/avg)
13 Greater Spell Penetration
BL Weapon Finesse
15 Quicken Spell

Skills 34/38
Acrobatics (Dex) +12 (1 rnk + 3 dex + 3 cls + 5 item)
Diplomacy +17 (10 rnk + 2 cha + 3 cls + 2 racial)
Intimidate (Cha) +6 (1 rnk + 2 cha + 3 cls)
Knowledge (religion) (Int) +4 (1 rnk + 0 int + cls)
Perception (Wis) +21 (10 rnk + 6 wis + 3 cls + 2 racial)
Perform (Cha) +6 (1 rnk + 2 cha + 3 cls)
Sense Motive (Wis) +10 (1 rnk + 6 wis + 3 cls)
Stealth (Dex) +7 (1 rnk + 3 dex + 3 cls)
Bluff (Cha) +6 (1 rnk + 2 cha + 3 cls)
Fly (Dex) +11 (5 rnk + 3 dex + 3 cls)
Spellcraft (Int) +4 (1 rnk + 0 int + cls)
Use Magic Device (Cha) +6 (1 rnk + 2 cha + 3 cls)

Spellcasting (Sorc CL 17; +23 vs SR, Base DC 20)
1 - 6, 2 - 6, 3 - 6, 4 - 6, 5 - 6, 6 - 6, 7 - 6, 8 - 4
0 Drench, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message, Mending, Jolt, Ghost Sound
1 Shield, Grease, Moment of greatness, Magic Missile, Snapdragon fireworks, Bless
2 Glitterdust, Stone Shield, Scorching Ray, Tremor Blast?, Rope Trick, Resist Energy
3 Tongues, Suggestion, Wind Wall, Battering Blast, Magic Circle vs Evil
4 Dragon's Breath, Fire Shield, Resilient Sphere, Greater Invis, Remove Curse
5 Wall of Stone, Telekinesis, Sending, Fire Snake? Geniekind?, Flame Strike
6 Analyze Dweomer, Greater Heroism, Disintegrate, Greater Dispel
7 Spell Turning, Greater Teleport, Limited Wish, Banishment
8 Poly Any Object, Summon Monster 8, Sunburst

Equipment
Cash: 2,000

Weapon
Unarmed attack, +9, 1d6+1, Magic, Good (+2d6 to evil targets), +4 w/arcane strike
Flurry, +8/+8, 1d6+1/1d6+1, Magic, Good (+2d6 to evil targets), +4 w/arcane strike

Armor
Robe of the Archmagi, +5 AC, 75k

Gear
Staff of the Planes, 10/10 charges (reg 1chg w/7th lvl slot), 64k
- Planar Adaptation, 1
- Planar Binding, 2
- Plane Shift, 5
Headband of Mental Prowess (Wis/Cha) +6, 90k
Ring of Protection +5, 50k
Ring of Inner Fortitude (ignore 6 pts ability dmg or 3 pts drain) 66k
Belt of Incredible Dexterity +6, 36k
Spectral Shroud (Chest), 26k (see invis; constant, incorp 10rnds/day)
Amulet of Mighty Fists +3 (+1 and holy), 36k
Spellguard bracers, 5000 (+2 to cast defensively, 3/day adv on roll)
Haversack, 2k
Boots of Striding and Springing, 5.5k

Bk Wis +2, 55k
Bk Cha +1, 27.5k[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hee hee

Well, I took a look at CR18 monsters...they tend to have attack bonuses in the 30's...so actually her AC is about right. In fact, I may regret not picking up Blink or Displacement. :)

Fortunately, she has another move she can pull to give herself another +4 as a reaction against an attack... Stone Shield. Can't keep it up long since it burns a 2nd level slot every time she casts it, but even CR18 critters might blink at hitting AC45. :)

Remove ads