D&D 5E [D&D 5E] B1: In Search of the Unknown (Recruiting)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Seven years ago, the fighter Rogahn the Fearless and Zelligar the Unknown, a fighter and wizard respectively, both of considerable skill and experience, led the defense of the town of Threshold on the western border of the Grand Duchy of Karameikos from a barbarian invasion. They were rewarded handsomely for their efforts, despite the rumored dark deeds of their past adventuring careers.

They had built a secret and secluded stronghold for themselves, the Caverns of Quasqueton, and, with their reward money, expanded the fortress, rumored to be built from within one of the larger mountains that form a natural boundary between Karameikos and the vast lands claimed by the Plains Barbarians.

A year later, they undertook an expedition to strike in to the territory of the barbarians, seeking to put the threat they posed to rest and, perhaps, claim their lands as well. The expedition never returned.

Now, six years later, the lord of Threshold has finally declared the expedition lost, leaving the Caverns of Quasqueton open to be explored and its riches claimed.

Threshold is a small community, however, and rounding up any brave enough to undertake such a dangerous quest could be a challenge in and of itself.

Welcome to my latest adventure, B1: In Search of the Unknown. This is a 5th Edition conversion of the classic B/X era adventure. It is set in the same world as T1: The Village of Hommlet (Earth, about 10,000 years after a magical apocalypse). T1, however and the Kingdom of Veluna, is set on the West Coast, while B1 and the Grand Duchy of Karameikos is set on the East Coast in what was once Virginia. Threshold is in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, specifically about where Harrisonburg used to be in modern times.

Player characters should be created using the point buy method for ability scores. Human characters can use the standard or variant racial traits. As with T1, Dragonborn are not permitted as they do not exist in the setting, yet. Human characters should be from the Grand Duchy of Karameikos, preferably the town of Threshold, although magically inclined characters could also be from nearby Glantri. Elves hail from nearby Alfheim, while dwarves are usually from neighboring Rockhome, nestled in the Appalachians. Halflings are usually from the Five Shires to the south. Other races are quite rare and will get a lot of stares and questions from the locals in Threshold.

I'd like to have a minimum of four characters, maximum of eight (to account for player attrition).

You can learn about the setting (beware of spoilers) here.

As with my other games, I'll be updating this game once a week once it gets started. It will be sharing Mondays with T1.

Just chiming in to say that I like the magical realism of setting this bad boy in Virginia. Shenandoah Valley topography? I've come soaring east on I-64 many times, and it's always a revelation when the Shenandoah spreads out before me.

I would love to join in. I'm thinking of playing either a fighter or a druid...not sure yet. This would also be my very first play-by-post game, so I'd like to use this experience so that I can learn to run my own.

Edit: Now that I've actually considered, I'd like to play a rogue. I already have my character concept and everything.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
What about gnomes? Any of those in this world?

Yes, they are just a bit more rare and exotic in this part of the world. Gnomes are native to the west coast so your family must have crossed the plains at some point (and either avoided or negotiated with the Plains Barbarians).
[MENTION=72670]Raunalyn[/MENTION], welcome aboard! Put a character together and let's have a look. :D

[MENTION=6755061]Kiraya_TiDrekan[/MENTION]

Here you go!

Name: Nemaer
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Rogue
Level: 1

Str: 10
Dex: 16
Con: 12
Int: 15
Wis: 8
Chr: 13

Armor Class: 15 (Leather Armor, Dual Wielder)

Background: Criminal
Personality: I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong.
Ideal: People. I’m loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care. (Neutral)
Bond: I will become the greatest thief that ever lived.
An innocent person is in prison for a crime that I committed. I’m okay with that.

Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +2, Deception +3, Investigation +4, Perception +1, Persuasion +3, Stealth * +7, Thieves’ Tools* +7, Disguise Kit +3
Languages: Common, Orc, Thieves’ Cant

Feats: Dual Wielder

Weapons: Rapier - +5 to hit, 1d8+3 Piercing Damage; Short Sword (Off-hand) - +5 to hit, 1d6 piercing; Shortbow - +5 to hit, 1d6+3 piercing, Range 80/320, Ammo 20; Dagger - +5 to hit, 1d4+3 piercing.

Equipment: Rapier, Short Sword, Shortbow, quiver 20 arrows, burglar’s pack, Leather Armor, two daggers, thieves’ tools, crowbar, dark common clothes with hood, belt pouch with 5 gp

Nemaer was born in a large city, the bastard offspring of a prostitute. Always quick and intelligent, he grew to be an asset to the madame of the brothel he grew up in, often stealing valuable trinkets and information.

In his teens, he began working with a street gang that controlled the docks of the city he was from. The gang's leader, Bartus, soon learned that Nemaer was a valuable asset and began teaching him the ways of rogues and burglars. In one of his more elaborate schemes, he framed a local jeweler for a crime he didn't commit so that Nemaer and his crew could rob the jeweler's business.

Now, as an adult, Nemaer wishes to make a name for himself. His skill with stealth and his quick wit makes him invaluable to the mercenary crews or gangs that he teams up with.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Groovy. You'll want to figure out why Nemaer has traveled from Specularum, the biggest city in Karameikos (and the capital) to the small border settlement of Threshold.

Perhaps he's heard rumors that adventurers are needed in Threshold...might be a good way to make a name for himself. He's a decent scout and is useful on any job. And, there's much to say for street cred...

Remove ads