Pulp Cthulhu: The Lost Temple of Yig [IC]

VorpalBunny

Explorer
"Yig's chief trait was a relentless devotion to his children, a devotion so great that the redskins feared to protect themselves from the venomous rattlesnakes which thronged the region. Frightful clandestine tales hinted of his vengeance upon mortals who flouted him or wreaked harm upon his wriggling progeny."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Article from the Arkham Advertiser, May 3, 1933:

BUILDING ALONG THE RIVER?
ARKHAM, MASS - Nelson Surveyors, a geographical survey team attached to Miskatonic University, returned today after a two-week stint in Brazil, where they mapped the Eastern Shore of the Amazon River; but that wasn't what caught people's attention at their press conference. When asked if anything had suprised them on the trip, Jacob Day, the lead surveyor, admitted, "There was one thing. It was right as we were leaving - we were on the plane, and circling over the jungle to head back here. hendricks was looking out the window, and suddenly he shouted 'What the-?' Well, I ran over to take a look, and I'll be! There was a building down there! Shouldn't have been, not out in the middle of the jungle, but there it was!" When asked for details, Day just shook his head. "We passed over it pretty quickly, and there were lots of trees, of course, and it was surrounded by this weird fog, so we only got a quick glimpse. But it was there, and it wasn't natural. Somebody built that thing."

May 5, 1933, The headquarters of the Vanguard Club: This latest survey of the Amazon Basin is the topic of the Vanguard Club's monthly meeting, of which you are in attendance. A member of the recent survey team, Dr. Francis Morgan is the guest speaker. His presentation is just what you would expect from a geologist: long, dull, and filled with useless facts about the strata in and around the Amazon Basin. Finally, he closes his presentation with a blurred photograph taken from the air of the strange pyramid-like building rising above the jungle canopy shrouded in fog. He's perplexed by the structure, as it wasn't seen previously. The exact whereabouts are unknown, as the aircraft's instruments were acting up all afternoon. With this, he closes his presentation and opens the floor to questions and comments.

Capellan

Explorer
Professor Pickman-Smythe rises to his feet,

"Dr Morgan, as fascinating as I found your analysis of the alluvial patterns of the Amazon basin, I must address a question to the matter of that building in your last photograph. It's a deuced poor exposure, unfortunately. Nonetheless, wouldn't you agree that a building of that nature, in that location, may well be the single most important discovery of your expedition?"

Pickman-Smythe continues without actually giving time for the good Doctor to respond,

"The level of technology required to construct such an edifice, for instance, would suggest a level of civilisation far more sophisticated than anything else ever encountered in the region. It may, in fact, be the most significant archaeological discovery since the Rosetta Stone, to say nothing of its potential interest to certain of the Thelannic clubs both here and in Great Britain. Surely there must be more information you can tell us about it?"

Sathanai

First Post
Josh, having been bored halfway to the point of tears by the strata of the amazon basin, perks up at the sight of the strage building.

.oO(Now we're talking... i wonder who built that? This could be an important find...)

He listens to see what the doctor says in response to Pickman-Smythe's questions.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
"An excellent question. Truthfully, we cannot comment on its archaeological significance as we only saw the thing from the air as we were leaving." Dr. Morgan gets a "far-away" look in his eyes and seems a little disturbed as he talks about the structure.

"From the air however, our team's anthropologist/archaeologist mentioned that the architecture did not match the usual examples of native buildings we saw during our expedition. Beyond that, I fear I can only offer speculation, not fact."

As Dr. Morgan answers your question, you overhear other older Club members mumbling something about "Gottering's 1895 expedition, and a similiar find."

[OOC: As Vanguard Club members you recognize the name "Gottering." Hans Gottering was a German explorer and a founding member of the Vanguard Club. After his final expedition in 1899 of which he was the sole survivor, he withdrew his membership from the Club and was commited to Arkham Sanitarium, where he later died.]

Last edited:

Yellow Sign

Explorer
In the back Dr. Schoor smoked his ivory bowled pipe. His thoughts had begun to wonder during the presentation. He had hoped for a more in depth presentation on the people and wildlife of the area but this Dr. Morgan seemed to prefer to work from a aeroplane. Bah! You need to explore from the ground if you wish to really find anything. From the air you mostly only see trees and more trees. But wait! He seems to have lucked upon something really interesting. A stone temple of that size in the Amazon? I wonder if it was some offshoot or outpost of the Incas? Well damn, the man does not have a percise location! What kind of explorer is he? Humm I wonder if that the area that Herr Gottering explored before he was committed? I will have to check the Club's archives.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Jimenez speaks up from the back: "This is quite interesting- the nearest aboriginal civilization would be the Incas, and they mostly stayed in the highlands and mountains. I wonder if perhaps they travelled further east than previously thought? Has anyone ever encountered any traces of Incan influence on the Amazon basin?"

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Dr. Morgan looks over to Jimenez and replies with a curt "No. We've seen no evidence of this."

Morgan then asks if there are any further questions. After confirming that there are no further inquiries, he thanks the audience and leaves the podium.

Since Dr. Morgan's presentation was the last item on the agenda tonight, the meeting begins to break up. Most club members leave, or head into another room to share a drink, while others loiter in the meeting room to ask a last question to Dr. Morgan, or discuss plausible expeditions with other club members.

Capellan

Explorer
Pickman-Smythe seeks out Jimenez and - once the polite introductions are out of the way - moves quickly to his main point of interest

"A shame the learned Dr Morton did not have more information on this strange building. I must say I find the structure fascinating - as it seemed you did as well."

Pickman-Smythe waits for a response, clearly seeking to gauge Jimenez' level of interest in the possible discovery.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Jimenez nods at Pickman-Smythe. "It's a pity we couldn't get more information in the way of what the building itself looks like. I can only imagine that the blocks were cut out of the mountains and carried down to the jungles. Who would go through such trouble, and why?"

Jimenez glances around, and then leans closer to Dr. Morton. "I must confess that I would be eager to go find and explore this site. Unfortunately, Dr. Morton does not seem so inclined, and it is technially his discovery..."

Capellan

Explorer
"I believe that as the expedition took place under the aegis of Miskatonic University, it is actually their discovery. Dr Morton was simply one of the team members. I share your interest in the building. I wonder if the University could be persuaded to finance an expedition to go in search of it ..." Pickman-Smythe trailed off and glanced around the room, "... I imagine they could most easily be persuaded if several well-regarded experts were to agree to participate."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases