D&D 5E [OOC] A Light Hearted Princes of Elemental Evil Hack and Slash

Creamsteak

Explorer
Rogue's Gallery: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?466533-RG-Creamsteak-s-Princes-of-Elemental-Evil
In Character: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?466522-IC-Creamsteak-s-Princes-of-Elemental-Evil

Greetings and salutations!

To introduce myself, I am a somewhat experienced but very out of practice Play by Post GM. I still see some threads stickied with my username from ages and ages ago here. I have, admittedly, let many games fall by the wayside as my life and schedule have shifted over the years, but I'd like to make another attempt to run a game. I am tacitly familiar with the new 5e rules set, and am running a game for a relatively fresh group of players in my home town right now. I am looking for just four players to have a light-hearted romp through the module "Princes of Elemental Evil" using the new 5th edition rules set. I am primarily looking to just get additional experience and ideas with this edition, so for a lot of purposes this is a "practice" game. I would like to run this module a bit loosely. I actually look forward to characters solving problems via non-combat means, where possible, and even playing different factions off each other, even though I term this game a hack and slash.

Background
In order to facilitate a quick start and easier gameplay, I would like all characters to be members of "The Adventuring Guild" if even loosely. Characters would be "silver" ranked, meaning they have significant experience, but they are below the tiers of gold, mithral, or adamantine adventurers. These adventurers have accepted a quest to find the whereabouts of a missing caravan that was traveling through a place called the Dessarin Valley, and hopefully to recover what they can from the caravan itself.

Beyond this, the Dessarin Valley itself seems to be undergoing an increase in dangers and an upheaval of new factions gaining significant power. Words are whispered of evil cults and dark dungeons deep in the earth. Many stories are told of ancient dwarven treasures burried in the hills, and of men and women made wealthy or poor in their search for it.

More to come...

Story Hooks for Characters
Feel free to plug in any of these to any character story.

The missing caravan was guarded by a renowned Knight Captain of Mirabar and his company, someone with a reputation that even on it's own should have discouraged banditry or sabotage.

It is well known that they carried the body of a fallen knight to be interred with his battle brothers at Summit Hall, but they never arrived.

A wealthy dwarven historian traveled with the group with a great deal ancient texts and lore related to the civilizations that once lived in the valley.

The weather in the valley has become strange and difficult. Druids of the Scarlet Moon claim to be able to cleanse the savage lands and restore balance to the region.

Many young and talented nobles have joined the hunting lodge of the Feathergale Society in the valley. Many noble families see their estranged sons and daughters as having taken on a dangerous calling and wish for their children to return.

The monks of the sacred stone monastary have closed off their walls to new believers and trainees. They instead seek only, "Those whose hands and feet are stone" to join them.

A mercenary company out of Rivengard Keep has been recruiting all capable adventurers in the land to help route out bandits and highwaymen that have been plaguing travelers and trade.

More to come...

Rules
I will be using the 5e rules from the PHB, MM, and DMG as well as the free Player's Supplement to the module.

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf

Ability score generation will use a very generous static array (18,17,16,15,14,13). This is more to facilitate shortening combat (hopefully).

Characters will also start at 3rd level with normal starting gear. Experience will be awarded by milestones.

Inspiration rules will be used. Any player that posts at least a 200 word starting background will start with an initial Inspiration as an incentive.

I am looking for at least once per day posting Monday to Thursday ideally. I will likely still post if possible on Weekends, and I understand that things happen and people have schedules.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Interested! Will work something up tonight. I'm playing an armored dwarf mage in another PbP, so may go totally different with something lightly armored and melee this go around. Thinking maybe a human warlock, pact of the blade.

Are you doing feats or just ability score improvements?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Tentative interest. I need to find some time to squeeze in creating a character as life is hectic, but I do want to get in more 5E playing.

I'm thinking a wizard of some sort, playing off the dwarven historian story hook.

Shayuri

First Post
Bwuh. Light Hearted? 5e?

Argh! So tempting. I like the cut of the jib though.

Druid maybe? Bard?

Let me chew.

NOM

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Great! I'll work on it tonight. Here's sort of an outline, thinking along the light-hearted part. I'm not sold on Human, may go Tiefling in order to have a pact with "Dad".

I'm starting to chuckle on this end. I'm imagining a Lawful Evil Human Warlock, probably Fiend Patron. He is so obviously evil, but no one ever really mentions it, that it's comical. Even has a super-obvious evil name like Damien Darkson or something to that effect. His goal is to eventually be the main villain in Dessarin Valley, and he has determined that the best way to get rid of all of the other established bad guys is by teaming up with a team of do-gooders, thus why he will work well with the team. Once the other villains are cleared out, he'll be in perfect position to take over. During the course of the adventure, he'll probably bitch and moan about all the good things the party has to do .

hafrogman

Adventurer
Much like you, I'm someone who used to haunt these forums, but drifted away.
I've found my life has settled down somewhat of late, and I'd like to get back into it.
My 5e time is mostly spent on the other side of the table, so I'd love to play it.

Ever since the playtest, I've toyed with the idea of using the barbarian to model a swordsman who becomes incredibly focused in battle, rather than traditional raging (same rules, just fluff). He'd be a more reluctant warrior, knowing that once he draws his sword, all other options have been closed.

Is there anything specific more we should know about The Adventuring Guild, or just keep it generic?

Creamsteak

Explorer
It's very much a fantasy trope to act as quick seal glue to get a group together and on a specific path. It also allows me to easily plug in new characters if we have a fatality or decide to add more characters for whatever reason. So yeah, think generic, but feel free to get creative and change it to fit your character or concept. Maybe you have an insidious benefactor within the guild, or you know about their secret corrupt inner circle, or your bitter rival, or their secret war with the mages guild/Theocracy of Kent or whatever else.

One of my big goals with this generic adventure in a generic setting is to give the players the freedom to create and flesh out the setting as they go, as they feel appropriate. So if you want to take some of the reigns and define part of the background and plot, please feel free too.

Remove ads