[ot] spotting gamers

DerianCypher

First Post
Well I was sitting in my oral comm. class today (the quarter just started) and people were up doing introductions. Well, this guy got up and he fit the "gamer look" to a T. It was kinda wierd. As I sat there I was thinking, "I wonder if he games.. he looks like he could be a gamer. If only there were some secret hand gesture that only gamers knew!"

So, I have come to enworld to announce that a secret hand gesture must be created! We already have a secret bumper sticker, a hand gesture is the logical next step!:D

Who will devote their valuable time and energy in creating this complex and secret hand gesture?

Ruined

Explorer
Holding a big 'L' sign up on your forehead? ;)

I can't say much. I now proudly display my ' i r.p.g. ' bumper sticker on my car. =)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Knowing my luck, if I put my bumper sticker on my car, someone at work will accuse me of carrying rocket-propelled grenades in my car. :)

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
I was in Best Buy the other day, and I saw this couple walking around holding hands. He was sporting the gamer goatee, the gamer hair, and of course, the gamer trenchcoat. She was wearing, I kid you not, a cape made from an old quilt. I thought to myself, "hmm, they look like gamers."

And later that day, I saw them again at my FLGS. You don't really need a secret way to find gamers, you can usually just smell them.

Angcuru

First Post
I don't think so much of a gesture as a phrase. Similar to what the US troops in Normandy used to NOT shoot each other in the dark. You Know:
Q: "FLASH!"
A: "THUNDER!"

and I think it's safe to say that anything we discuss here will remain known only to gamers. I mean, who ELSE is on these boards??

Henry

Autoexreginated
We need a sign you can draw in the sand, the same way some religious groups used to find each other millenia ago in areas where their religion was outlawed.

Perhaps

The first person draws a polygon.

The second person draws a "20" in the middle of it.

Or perhaps the secret phrase should be:

Q: "How are the Rangers this year?"
A: "They got the shaft."

Something like one of these.

alsih2o

First Post
have you tried a non-secret handshake? i mean, just walking right up to him and presenting your hand and introducing yourself?

lacks drama, but i bet you could find out this way :)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Henry said:
Or perhaps the secret phrase should be:

Q: "How are the Rangers this year?"
A: "They got the shaft."

From someone whom you have accused of being funny: You sir, are funny.

Blackleaf

First Post
I found a whole bar of gamers the other night when a friend of mine that I had recently met invited me to check out a new place in his neighborhood that he heard would be fun. We weren't in there five minutes when he leaned over and whispered that his 'ga-dar' was going off like crazy. That's his funny little way of saying he could sense gamers are around, I guess. Sort of like his 'spidey sense tingling.'

I couldn't get any of the guys we met to admit they were gamers but I think I managed to find some signs of confirmation once I got them to hear my questions over the booming club music. First off, and this isn't an absolute indicator, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to switch on of the television over to ESPN so I could catch the scores...though some of them made some pretty lame jokes about 'scoring' right away. That's kind of a tip off, cause although they made some sexual inuendos about 'scoring', when I mentioned chicks most of them rolled their eyes and a few of them stalked off in a huff. Not a bad looking bunch, if I can say so, but who else but young gamers would have such low self-esteems to be frightened of girls? They all seemed to get a kick out of it when I described my sword collection, too!

Anyway, I was a bit sore the next day cause I think I must have fallen down from having a bit too much to drink. To be honest, the last part of the night is a little fuzzy. I'll have to get back there real soon and put it to the test again!

Remove ads