[ot] spotting gamers

Mercule

Adventurer
I usually just pull my sword on them. If they parry, then they must game, because who else would have a sword of their own? If I run them through, then I guess they aren't gamers.

Seriously, though, my wife and I probably don't look the part.
The give-away is that my wife's winter coat is a Victorian-style cloak (a real one, not a quilt). Two people immediately seek her out when she wears it: gamers and little old ladies. The little old ladies are usually vaguely amused about her getting the cloak at a Renaissance Faire. Until the talk inevitably turns to the fact that we go every year. In costume. And my wife carries a sword.

Angcuru

First Post
Mercule said:
And my wife carries a sword.

It's not often that you see a woman walking around wearing a Victorian Cloak and carrying a sword. Now for the clincher: is this everyday atire, or just occasionally...the sword, I mean.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
There's just one thing about Blackleaf's story. I have several friends that use the term 'ga-dar', and they're not gamers. :D

But yeah, you can spot gamers a mile off sometimes. First time I went to GenCon UK, I got off the tube and didn't quite know where to go.

Then I spotted that the 14 other people that got off the tube at the same stop were all wearing M:tG shirts. :)

drnuncheon

Explorer
MeepoTheMighty said:
I was in Best Buy the other day, and I saw this couple walking around holding hands. He was sporting the gamer goatee, the gamer hair, and of course, the gamer trenchcoat. She was wearing, I kid you not, a cape made from an old quilt. I thought to myself, "hmm, they look like gamers."

And later that day, I saw them again at my FLGS. You don't really need a secret way to find gamers, you can usually just smell them.

I think he wants a secret way to find the gamers that can pass for normal, because he doesn't want to smell them.

J
"I'll take offensive stereotypes for $200, Alex."

RedAnt

First Post
No, no, no.... If you wanna tell the difference between Hebrews and Ephramites, what you need is a shibboleth.

Walk up to them, look them dead in the eye and say: "Verbobonc".

If you see a glimmer of recognition, you'll know... Otherwise just turn and walk away.

Mercule

Adventurer
RedAnt said:
Walk up to them, look them dead in the eye and say: "Verbobonc".

Since not everyone plays in Greyhawk, unfortunately, "Verbobonc" may not be the best choice. How about "Gygax"?

Dispater

Explorer
Mercule said:
I usually just pull my sword on them. If they parry, then they must game, because who else would have a sword of their own? If I run them through, then I guess they aren't gamers.

Mind you, not every gamer nowaday carries a mighty broadsword. Or a dagger, even. You might have to refine your methods for getting new players for your campaigns.

Remove ads