[ot] spotting gamers

the Jester

Legend
The Dungeon Master said:
Usually on Saturday's I wear my d20 s#@t shirt or the NPC shirt. You'd be surprised at how many people chuckle and tell me how great the shirt is. They obviously know about D&D....

I have both of those too! When I recently when travelin' around the country, I brought both of them and used them to help with recognition myself- worked great!

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
The Dungeon Master said:
Usually on Saturday's I wear my d20 s#@t shirt or the NPC shirt. You'd be surprised at how many people chuckle and tell me how great the shirt is. They obviously know about D&D....

I haven't seen these advertised here in a while. Where can I buy them?

tonym

First Post
Here's how to identify a gamer without disclosing that you are a gamer...

Stand near a suspected gamer. Point your finger towards a distant human male and say with a mixture of awe and disbelief, "Is THAT Gary Gygax?"

If their head snaps around so fast that dice fall from their pockets, they're a gamer.

If they don't look, they are not a gamer.

If they say, "Who?", you merely say, "You know, that guy who was dating Madonna."

:]

NOTE: If you specifically want to know if they play '3rd Edition' D&D, substitute "Monte Cook" for Gary Gygax, and "Jennifer Lopez" for Madonna.

Tony M

Psionicist

Explorer
tonym said:
Here's how to identify a gamer without disclosing that you are a gamer...

Stand near a suspected gamer. Point your finger towards a distant human male and say with a mixture of awe and disbelief, "Is THAT Gary Gygax?"

If their head snaps around so fast that dice fall from their pockets, they're a gamer.

If they don't look, they are not a gamer.

If they say, "Who?", you merely say, "You know, that guy who was dating Madonna."

:]

NOTE: If you specifically want to know if they play '3rd Edition' D&D, substitute "Monte Cook" for Gary Gygax, and "Jennifer Lopez" for Madonna.

Tony M

Heh, that was pretty clever. I will try that some day. :)

Wormwood

Adventurer
I was presenting some work to a client a few months ago (a local food company whose catalog I'm helping design).

Anyway, I'm in this room with three suits and my partner when one of the guys (older man in his forties, mister purse-strings) says to me, "You're awfully quiet over there."

I made some off-hand crack about my partner having all the charisma, and the man says, straightfaced, "So did you get all the dexterity?"

Now at this point I start laughing, but I'm not really sure if he was making a D&D reference or just commenting on the fact that I'm the one who actually *creates* the artwork while my partner handles the layout and legwork.

So I shrug and say, "I rolled lucky", which got me a nodding smile from Mister Accounts Manager and a really strange look from my partner (a former UF footballer whose never even heard of gaming).

The subject never came up after that. As a matter of fact, it's *their* catalog I should be working on *right now* instead of telling inane stories on a message board.

Sanackranib

First Post
spotting gamers

I usually just ask if they are gamers (s\assuming they don't look like trolls" I have a lot of friends who game and somone is allways looking for "fresh meat" so far I am batting 1000 at 20 for 20 or so. come on its really not that hard to tell . . .:eek:

fba827

Adventurer
Re: spotting gamers

Sanackranib said:
<snip>
come on its really not that hard to tell .

Yeah, it can be. If the person you are spotting with is a closet-case gamer, there would be no outward signs. It would take some form of interaction (be it innuendo or blatant questions) to find out -- after all, we're talking about seeing people who take part in a hobby (that has not inherent physical manifestation unless of course someone if playing right in front of you), we're not talking about spotting something physical on people (no third arm that grows for the sole purpose of carrying a dice bag and rolling dice :) )

:D

dave_o

Explorer
What? You don't have the Third Arm Aug. ?! :D

Anyway, as far as appearances go, I surely don't pass for a gamer. I look like I belong in an episode of Jackass, since my dress tends to be a mix of Johnny Knoxville and Bam Margera.

I'm also the front man in a punk/ska band (Blue Angel!), work out intensely, am tatted and bleached.

But, never-the-less, I'm a gamer!

It tends to surprise people heinously.

Remove ads